Jedi Missing Pixels FSB *extended* DIY Working Fix Inside

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

escomm
Queue Moderator

Jedi Missing Pixels FSB *extended* DIY Working Fix Inside

Post by escomm »

FSB NUMBER: FSB10051A

Revision A: Revised the Models Affected section, extended the Warranty period and added Note #2 under the
Resolution section.

SUBJECT: Radios exhibit missing pixel rows or columns of an alphanumeric message or other normal
displays.

MODELS AFFECTED:
All MTS2000, MT2000, HT1000, JT1000 and MTX8000/9000 radios may exhibit this problem.

NOTE #1: Any radios not exhibiting missing pixel rows or columns, or those that are cracked or have been abused
are not covered by this FSB.

SYMPTOM:
Display will exhibit missing pixel rows or columns. See identification section at the end of this document.

CAUSE:
Manufacturing assembly process issue is causing this issue.

RESOLUTION:
Repair or replace the LCD in the radio. Due to the unique bonding equipment necessary, the repair or replacement of
the LCD can only be performed at depot level. Please return any units that meet the above listed criteria to one of the
Motorola Radio Support Centers listed below. See appendix A for Depot addresses.

Note #2: You must return the complete radio when sending in for repair. You can not send only the cover or LCD
module.

SEVERITY RECOMMENDATION:
Low - Perform when system exhibits above symptoms

PARTS REQUIRED (HARDWARE/SOFTWARE):
NTN7153, NTN7154, 5105238U83

LABOR ALLOWANCE:
Parts only are authorized by warranty for the Motorola Service Centers. No labor warranty is implied, intended or
authorized by this bulletin. There is no compensation for returning units to Motorola for repair.

EXPIRES: DEC 21, 2008
Last edited by escomm on Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Re: Jedi Missing Pixels FSB *extended*

Post by RadioSouth »

Thanks for sharing. Just got my JT back from them today, 9 day turnaround and they took care of overnight shipping round trip. 8)
N9LLO

Post by N9LLO »

Does this cover any radio of the models listed above or only certain serial number ranges?

Chris
N9LLO
MetroMan

Post by MetroMan »

FSB10051A

Appendix B

2. Any radio exhibiting the above symptoms will be covered by this FSB. Warranty will not be limited to a specific range of LCD module date codes or radio serial numbers.
Rich
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Post by N4DES »

Interesting enough the previous FSB said you could send in only the display modules and they would fix them and send them back as long as they met a certain date code. This FSB changes the process once again and you have to send the whole radio in.
dirtrat

Post by dirtrat »

This FSB/SRN has been extended several times. I'll bet we have sent in well over 100 radios for this fix over the years. We have always sent in the whole radio. Just make sure there are no other problems with the radio or Motorola will send it back to you unrepaired. We have sent in radios that were not in the serial number range they specified and they always repaired them anyway.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

While many of us have had various issues with circle M over the years I believe they're handling this issue exceptionally well. Feel a little better about that $400. parts order I just sent in.
W6JK

Post by W6JK »

I've been poking around on MOL trying to bring up some reference to the FSB, so I could figure out how to arrange such a repair, but I'm not having any luck. Do I have to do it through a dealer?

Jeff
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Nope, give them a call 1-800-227-6772 have the serial # ready. If they don't offer ask for a return call tag, they faxed it to me.
W6JK

Post by W6JK »

Thanks!
Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

Tag 8)
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Bringing this one back from the dead....

The FSB has been extended until March 31, 2009.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Got a couple PMs regarding how to take advantage... Keep in mind the radio will have to go to the depot for repair.

Call 800-227-6772 (Motorola Systems Support Center) and advise them of your situation. Be sure to mention the model number of your radio. Obviously you won't be sending in a non-display model radio for repair :lol:

Motorola should then be able to email or fax you a call tag, along with the paperwork needed to put in the box, and then send it off the depot. If you're lucky, you'll get the radio back two weeks later...
Tony.RI
What radios do you own?: HT1k, MT2K, Saber 3, XTS3k

Post by Tony.RI »

escomm wrote:Got a couple PMs regarding how to take advantage... Keep in mind the radio will have to go to the depot for repair.

Call 800-227-6772 (Motorola Systems Support Center) and advise them of your situation. Be sure to mention the model number of your radio. Obviously you won't be sending in a non-display model radio for repair :lol:

Motorola should then be able to email or fax you a call tag, along with the paperwork needed to put in the box, and then send it off the depot. If you're lucky, you'll get the radio back two weeks later...
I'm glad I saw this before the deadline passed! Would I still be eligible to send the radio in, even though I'm not the original owner?
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Tony.RI wrote:
escomm wrote:Got a couple PMs regarding how to take advantage... Keep in mind the radio will have to go to the depot for repair.

I'm glad I saw this before the deadline passed! Would I still be eligible to send the radio in, even though I'm not the original owner?
Yes, sent it in. They might not offer a call tag unless you ask though. Think they've done an excellent job supporting this issue.
Karfield

Post by Karfield »

This is an incredibly old issue. I could tell you exactly what's going on with the LCD's but that's a totally different topic. With any luck we'll get it extended again due to the sheer nature of the problem. However I won't hold my breath because the entire product line is due to be on the "no longer supported" list in the next year and a half or so (sometime in 2010). Also, it is important to make sure all other functions of the radio work before hand and that you have at least 1 pixel left before sending the unit in. I'd also recoment making sure that your cover flex is not crimped. I'm not sure how the process has changed to cover that little issue we used to have, used to be delt with on a radio by radio basis.
Tony.RI
What radios do you own?: HT1k, MT2K, Saber 3, XTS3k

Post by Tony.RI »

RadioSouth wrote:
Tony.RI wrote:

Yes, sent it in. They might not offer a call tag unless you ask though. Think they've done an excellent job supporting this issue.
While the person I talked to was extremely helpful and I got the UPS Label and repair form within minutes, I have no idea how to fill out the form. Is there any guide on here I can use?
ka2aradio
New User

Post by ka2aradio »

escomm wrote:FSB NUMBER: FSB10051A

Revision A: Revised the Models Affected section, extended the Warranty period and added Note #2 under the
Resolution section.

SUBJECT: Radios exhibit missing pixel rows or columns of an alphanumeric message or other normal
displays.

MODELS AFFECTED:
All MTS2000, MT2000, HT1000, JT1000 and MTX8000/9000 radios may exhibit this problem.

NOTE #1: Any radios not exhibiting missing pixel rows or columns, or those that are cracked or have been abused
are not covered by this FSB.

SYMPTOM:
Display will exhibit missing pixel rows or columns. See identification section at the end of this document.

CAUSE:
Manufacturing assembly process issue is causing this issue.

RESOLUTION:
Repair or replace the LCD in the radio. Due to the unique bonding equipment necessary, the repair or replacement of
the LCD can only be performed at depot level. Please return any units that meet the above listed criteria to one of the
Motorola Radio Support Centers listed below. See appendix A for Depot addresses.

Note #2: You must return the complete radio when sending in for repair. You can not send only the cover or LCD
module.

SEVERITY RECOMMENDATION:
Low - Perform when system exhibits above symptoms

PARTS REQUIRED (HARDWARE/SOFTWARE):
NTN7153, NTN7154, 5105238U83

LABOR ALLOWANCE:
Parts only are authorized by warranty for the Motorola Service Centers. No labor warranty is implied, intended or
authorized by this bulletin. There is no compensation for returning units to Motorola for repair.

EXPIRES: DEC 21, 2008

Seny my JT-1000 in on Saturday. Motorola Customer Support was very helpful and e-mailed the repair form and return shipping tag. Thanks for posting the FSB and deadline date. I'm looking forward to having a fully functional display again!
DPL

Post by DPL »

I got my shipping label, but the operator forgot to send me the repair form (I did ask for it). Rather than have to call them back on the phone, does anybody have a copy they can shoot me? Is it on MOL somewhere perhaps?

shadowbronze@gmail.com if anybody has it.

Thanks!
W2MB

Post by W2MB »

DPL wrote:I got my shipping label, but the operator forgot to send me the repair form (I did ask for it). Rather than have to call them back on the phone, does anybody have a copy they can shoot me? Is it on MOL somewhere perhaps?

shadowbronze@gmail.com if anybody has it.

Thanks!

It's in the mail
willbartlett
Batboard $upporter

Post by willbartlett »

So I'm clear, the deadline was march 31st right?

Shame, I have 6 radio I just got hold of with this issue...

Will
Radio Crazy
What radios do you own?: All FPP

Post by Radio Crazy »

Does any one know if this FSB has definitly expired or been extended, thanks
Karfield

Post by Karfield »

It's deffinately done. They have even started to stop support for the MTX series. It's not likely they'll reissue this anymore, I was informed at the last reissue that it truely was the last time.
Radio Crazy
What radios do you own?: All FPP

Post by Radio Crazy »

Karfield wrote:It's deffinately done. They have even started to stop support for the MTX series. It's not likely they'll reissue this anymore, I was informed at the last reissue that it truely was the last time.
Thanks for the info.
W4KRR
What radios do you own?: XTS3000's; XTS2500's; many sca

Post by W4KRR »

Now that this FSB has expired, will they still fix the issue, and what will it cost?

Thanks.
Ken, W4KRR
vxo
What radios do you own?: you only give me one line? XD

Post by vxo »

I'd like to know what's going on with this too. My MTS2000 just started exhibiting the problem today.

Out of curiosity, is the LCD connector a 'heat seal'?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Repair- ... oning-LCD/

Amusingly, this is also on a Motorola product!!
eddiev
New User

Post by eddiev »

I actually repaired one of these using a regular Iron for clothing. I set it on low for delicate cloth and pressed one of the edges of the iron on the cable. I put firm pressure on the cable with the circuit board laying on a semi hard absorbing surface like a stack of paper (I used a manual for something). I held it on with a little pressure for about 2 - 3 minutes. Hade to repeat a couple time on different areas of the cable to restore diffwerent pixel areas of the LCD. Put pressure specifically on the part of the cable that attaches to the circuit board not on the LCD! Do not move the iron back and forth otherwise you will move the contacts around and will ruin the connections because if hot enough, they will slide around and bunch up and good luck fixing that.

I tried the Blow dryer method and it did not get hot enough for me...... The iron did the trick!

Ed
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

I recently visited a tech shop & they swear by the clothing iron method...says it fixes 95% of the displays they try it on.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Spiffy50

Post by Spiffy50 »

Oh this looks cool! This pixel problem was quite common with Tait radios and I have 3 laying around that are totally unuseable. Can't wait to give them a whirl!
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

I've had good luck using a heat gun (not a hair dryer).

1) Take radio apart to expose the display.
2) Connect battery and power on.
3) Blow heat on display flex.

You may have to use a small utensil to reseat the flex, i.e., push it down while it's still hot. Or, like some that I've done, the heat alone does the trick. The display may start turning black, but will quickly return to normal after using the heat gun with no heat, just air. Don't leave the heat blowing in one spot for too long as it will melt through the flex in short order.

Next time though, I'm going to try the iron method.
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
d119

Post by d119 »

I just did 6 radios using the clothes iron method. Lowest heat setting. 3 out of the 6 were 100% restored from nearly no pixels working, the other three ranged from 95% to 75% restoration. Could probably get 100% out of them with a little more diligence.

This really does work, and it works WELL. Patience and pressure are the keys. Best to try it with the radio on so you can see which areas need the most attention. BE CAREFUL about the LED's on the board, broke the top row of LED's on the keypad area on the first two radios before I realized what was happening. No big.

Only thing I wonder about is how long they will stay working.

I have 6 more radios to do, will keep folks updated.

THANK YOU to the gent that came up with this. You've no idea...

Mods: This NEEDS to be a sticky... I'm beside myself that it works so well!
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: Jedi Missing Pixels FSB *extended* DIY Working Fix Insid

Post by escomm »

Well I edited my OP thread title to be more helpful in the meantime.
smokeybehr
What radios do you own?: Dozens. Want one? Email me.

Post by smokeybehr »

I have several Model 2 MTS2k fronts that have bad pixels in them, so I can give the fix a try without fear of messing something critical up. If it works, then I'll try it on some of the units that are in regular use. It'll be nice to get the units back in working order, so I can use all of the channels, and not just the 48 that I have them programmed for now.
No, I will not fix your computer. Call back during NORMAL business hours.
CommJunkie
New User

Post by CommJunkie »

I tried this, and it didn't work :( To the shop it goes...
KG4INW
What radios do you own?: Not enough apparently!

Post by KG4INW »

I too want to express my appreciation for this awesome fix! One of my JT1000s started losing pixels yesterday after working fine before but now it's completely back to normal.
KG4INW
What radios do you own?: Not enough apparently!

Post by KG4INW »

Hmm. perhaps I spoke too soon. After about 5 or 6 hours, it reverts back to being intermittent. Hopefully working with it several more times will remedy it? It's certainly readable but quite annoying.
grump
New User
What radios do you own?: VHF HT1250, EX650

Post by grump »

Just picked up a dirt cheap MT2000 with a dead display I can't wait to try it on. I got nothing to lose. Thanks guys!
Spiffy50

Post by Spiffy50 »

I finally got around to doing this fix on a Tait Orca I have. All I did was use a regular clothes iron on setting #1 and held it down on the flex (at both the PCB and the LCD).for about 10 seconds. It took two attempts, but I think you can see just how well this works.

vxo
What radios do you own?: you only give me one line? XD

Post by vxo »

Ok, forgive me if this is too wildly off topic, but how do I open an MTS2000's housing? I can see a tab at the bottom but I'd like to make sure I'm doing the right thing before I make the housing look just as derpy as the unreadable LCD :lol:
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

They make a Jedi opening tool which looks like Doritos' clip in reverse, this won't mar up the housing and O-ring or exert too much force and cause the tab to break. If not, you can use a dull butter knife, this is much better than a flat blade screwdriver, as it has just enough flex in it to be gentile on the plastic but firm enough to release the two inner metal tabs that secure the chassis to the housing. If you do it right, you won't leave any tool marks either.

The area is at the bottom of the radio, take the battery off, you'll see where there is a small (1/4") area where you can work your butter knife between the chassis base and the housing and it will pop loose. Remember the front cover is attached with flex! be careful when removing it.

I am at work, but I will post a picture later showing the area. (We don't use Jedi's here anymore, all XTS radios so I don't have one handy to post a quick pic)
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

Yup, as said to open a case ( without chancing scratching it up ), you'll need one of these:

http://shopwiscomm.com/6685833D01-Motor ... 35119.aspx

DO NOT pay that much for one, but that's what you'll need. Works great, opens the case right up every time. Works on the Jedi, and XTS5000/3000 as well.
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

And please remember to remove the antenna and both knobs first before trying to open the radio...
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
Snarlingrabiddog
What radios do you own?: Two Tin Cans and a String P25

Post by Snarlingrabiddog »

REALLY good info! Keep up the good work!
Norman
New User

Post by Norman »

eddiev wrote:I actually repaired one of these using a regular Iron for clothing. I set it on low for delicate cloth and pressed one of the edges of the iron on the cable. I put firm pressure on the cable with the circuit board laying on a semi hard absorbing surface like a stack of paper (I used a manual for something). I held it on with a little pressure for about 2 - 3 minutes. Hade to repeat a couple time on different areas of the cable to restore diffwerent pixel areas of the LCD. Put pressure specifically on the part of the cable that attaches to the circuit board not on the LCD! Do not move the iron back and forth otherwise you will move the contacts around and will ruin the connections because if hot enough, they will slide around and bunch up and good luck fixing that.

I tried the Blow dryer method and it did not get hot enough for me...... The iron did the trick!

Ed
I've had really good success with this. Using this method, I've successfully restored dim and displays with missing pixels. I even restored one which was completely blank. Using the iron method brought it completely back to life. Of course results will vary. A few of things I will add:

1. The clothes iron method works, but it's heavy and unwieldy. It's worth the effort, but the safety mechanism keeps turning it off while its inverted to do the repair. I have to keep flipping back up every ten seconds or so and wait for it to heat up -- very tiring. As I got better at this, I found I had better results with the iron on HIGH but you must be very careful not to melt anything. Practice first at low until you get the hang of it.

I'm looking for a suitable L-shaped soldering iron tip -- like a tiny garden hoe which when used with a temperature-controlled soldering iron would be the perfect tool for this.

2. Don't forget to first program one of the alpha tags with all "eights" and program a test mode with as many attributes that will light up as many symbols as possible so you'll be able to see the pixels light up as you iron. I found that heating one spot fixes just a few pixels at a time, so you really need to go over every spot.

Question: is there a way to get the LCD service test to "hold" with all the segments/symbols activated? The instructions in the service manual for the LCD test only seem to keep the segments lit while the orange button is pressed. I need both hands to do the repair and it would be great if there is a way to keep the LCD test screen on during the repair.
dawson75
What radios do you own?: the kind you talk on

Post by dawson75 »

Completed the fix on a completely blank display and worked great.

Thanks for the info guys!
tazada

Post by tazada »

Awesome! The key is definitely sprawling out the radio and getting it powered up while apart so you can watch the magic work!!! Medium setting on the iron got enough heat the the edges for me, once the pixels lit up they seem to stay. Setting up a test mode that fills the display was great advice also.

I remember reading about this a while ago, but just got a radio with a bad display and tried it. Thanks for the info!!
PsyberEMT
What radios do you own?: APX/XPR/SL/Hytera/Globalstar

Post by PsyberEMT »

eddiev wrote:I actually repaired one of these using a regular Iron for clothing. I set it on low for delicate cloth and pressed one of the edges of the iron on the cable. I put firm pressure on the cable with the circuit board laying on a semi hard absorbing surface like a stack of paper (I used a manual for something). I held it on with a little pressure for about 2 - 3 minutes. Hade to repeat a couple time on different areas of the cable to restore diffwerent pixel areas of the LCD. Put pressure specifically on the part of the cable that attaches to the circuit board not on the LCD! Do not move the iron back and forth otherwise you will move the contacts around and will ruin the connections because if hot enough, they will slide around and bunch up and good luck fixing that.

Ed
Another MTS2000 housing saved with a simple clothes iron. Just got my ham ticket and bought 2 MTS2k's from fleabay, the VHF with some dead pixels. With an iron, a Sharpie calligraphy marker cap (has a nice blunt, angled end) and 5 minutes had it back to working like new. Many thanks!
"Never do anything you wouldn't want to have to explain to the paramedics!" --- Anonymous
bweathersby
New User

Post by bweathersby »

Hi guys... I just acquired two of these wonderful radios... One has arrived and the other is on the way... I know for sure one the display is unreadable... I do not feel comfortable performing "the fix". Any chance one of you more experienced at performing this fix would be willing to assist.. I would happily compensate reasonably for time spent... Thanks in advance.
majorminor
New User

Post by majorminor »

REALLY good info! Keep up the good work!
Max

Post by Max »

I see this is an old thread.I'm hoping someone can add a little more info on the "iron" method.
I'm unsure where exactly you place the edge of the iron on the ribbon that's attached to the LCD on a MTX,MTS,800Mhz B7.
Can someone post a picture showing where to heat up the ribbon ?

Thanks in advance.

Max

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”