XTL5000 Secure interface/board issues

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Astroboy

XTL5000 Secure interface/board issues

Post by Astroboy »

Hi there guys
Just added a MHLN6918B Sec Carrier 3day With a NTN9738 Des Xl Des Ofb Module attached and read radio and then enabled secure and then programmed, basically came up with error 9/10 to me thats saying its not seeing the module if i try to keyload it does not respond either. any one seen this before with a XTL5000
i also tried 3 different modules and 2 other carrier boards.
even with a pre loaded module i plug that it and still get error 9/10

any help would be appreciated

AB
Astroboy

Re: XTL5000 Secure interface/board issues

Post by Astroboy »

Just one other thing i forgot to add the boards that i have been testing with are XTS5000 modules
now i was advised that you could use the portable board in the mobil. So i guess this is what i am trying to confirm.
If anyone can help me with a part number for a DES OFB DES XL Module new for xtl5000 that would also be appreciated.
AB
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Post by batdude »

which control head is on your XTL 5000 ?

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.p ... es#p332270
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
Astroboy

Post by Astroboy »

hi doug
it a 05
bought to change to 03 though
and i tired all 3 of the ones you sent to me down here
Lee
RocketNJ

Post by RocketNJ »

the carrier board used with the 05 heads is different than the carrier board used with the old Astro Spectra style head. It will give you an error 09/10. Found that out the hard way last year.

Contact Moto support at 1-800-221-7144 and mention this to them. They should be able to give you the correct part number. I have it at work but won't be back til later in the week.
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Post by batdude »

the hybrids (secure boards) are the same... what's screwing you is the secure carrier/interface board....

i dont have the p/n handy either tho

doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
akardam

Post by akardam »

Well, according to my notes, the MHLN6918B carrier is the correct carrier for the O series heads.

30 second Carrier:
Old: HLN6877
New: HLN6919B

3 day Carrier:
Old: HLN6876
New: MHLN6918B

Do you have another radio to test these boards with? It could be a problem with this specific radio.
Astroboy

Post by Astroboy »

Hey again
Tried different Radios and both are brand new radios
says to me there are 2 different carriers, W series type MH Part no.
and a new 05 03 type. ill be sure to add what info i find in the end and Rocket NJ ill make the call but could you also reply back with what you find when you do return back to work

thanks
AB
RocketNJ

Post by RocketNJ »

Yes I will
Astroboy

Post by Astroboy »

Hi there Rocket NJ
Just seeing if you may have had any joy in that part number
I rang mot and they didnt understand the difference between 0 and w series
your help would be appreciate
AB
akardam

Post by akardam »

Uh, guys... see my post above from Dec 25th. All the XTL secure carrier part numbers, old and new, are posted there.

Again, per your original post, the MHLN6918B is the most current, "O" series compatable 3 day secure carrier, so, all other things being equal, it should work.

You need to provide us some further information. Did this XTL start life from the factory as an O5, or was it field upgraded at some point? Is this the only radio that exhibits these symptoms? Did you test any of the carriers and secure modules you have with any other similar radios? What is the current Host/DSP revision on the radio in question?
Astroboy

Post by Astroboy »

Hi Akar and group
Ok its a brand new 05 like out of the box. ver 9 or so FW
i have 3 different MHLN 6918B Carriers and I have tried 4 Different Modules also ranging from 05.00.13 Fw to 05.05.02
When i input the HLN6876 in mol Ver A Is Still available and ver B is superceeded with the MHLN6918B.
I do belive that there are 2 different boards. mot parts echo that too.
Maybe I order some 30 second carriers and try that too.
and one other thought is that i loaded the ucm via another radio and still plug it in to the 05 box and still er 9/10
totally beats me.
My local Mot shop even admits that they had heaps of hassle with their own 03 05 FST Radios.the guru wont be back for a few weeks

Thanks again
AB
akardam

Post by akardam »

Astroboy wrote:Hi Akar and group
Ok its a brand new 05 like out of the box. ver 9 or so FW
i have 3 different MHLN 6918B Carriers and I have tried 4 Different Modules also ranging from 05.00.13 Fw to 05.05.02

*snip*

and one other thought is that i loaded the ucm via another radio and still plug it in to the 05 box and still er 9/10 totally beats me.
So, if I understand correctly, you have a brand new radio, came from the factory as an O5, which will not "see" the module with any combination of carrier or UCM.

Can you tell us if the carriers and UCM's you tested in this radio work OK in other radios?

If the above is true, it sounds awfully like you have an issue with that particular radio. Instead of spending money trying to troubleshoot the problem yourself, I think my next inclination would be to depot the radio (presuming it's under warranty) and let them fix the problem...
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Old thread bump!

Don't recall seeing it mentioned elsewhere, but
3 day Carrier:
Old: HLN6876
New: MHLN6918B
has since been replaced with PHLN6918C. $80 list.

Also, fair warning: if you have a radio configured for a W-series head with an older secure carrier board installed (like a HLN6876) and you put an O5 head in it you will burn a transistor off the secure carrier. Learned that one the hard way.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”