Astro Portable CPS won't run...

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

w2sjw

Astro Portable CPS won't run...

Post by w2sjw »

Guys,

I hope you can help here - I tried to install R9.00.00 & R10.00.00 (not side by side, though!), and both fail on start-up via the icon with 'system cannot find the file specified'. It makes no mention to what that is, though!

Could I be missing a runtime or DLL on my system, perhaps?

Thanks in advance...
Scott, W2SJW
oh2glg
What radios do you own?: DP4801 DM4601 SL7550 MTP850S

Re: Astro Portable CPS won't run...

Post by oh2glg »

w2sjw wrote:Guys,

I hope you can help here - I tried to install R9.00.00 & R10.00.00 (not side by side, though!), and both fail on start-up via the icon with 'system cannot find the file specified'. It makes no mention to what that is, though!

Thanks in advance...
Your problem looks quite similar what I still have bugging me with my copy of the Astro Saber / XTS3000 CPS on my laptop. Look at here: Specified file not found - CPS shuts down. Problem is still unresolved. Luckily my laptop is not the only computer to play with.. ;)
Jussi Strömberg
Ham call: OH2JS/OH2GLG
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

if it was a .dll or runtime it would tell you that, usually when you get the error you say, it's because the shortcut you are clicking on can't find the execution file to start the program running. when i click on the properties of my shortcut it looks like this "C:\Program Files\Motorola\ASTRO 25 Products\ASTRO 25 Portable CPS\PatPort.exe" so right click on your shortcut and see if yours is in the same spot and if so open windows explorer and see if the program is where the shortcut is pointing. this usually happens when someone tries to install the program on a different drive other thatn c: or in a different directory or i've seen people try to install it on a thumb drive thinking they can take it anywhere but it don't work that way.
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

w2sjw wrote:Guys,

Thanks in advance...
Do you have admin rights on the computer? I have seen many times where you will get unspecified files or paths not found when trying to run the software in a limited account.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
w2sjw

Post by w2sjw »

I have full admin rights on this XP install (I'm the only user). I do like many hundreds of others, I re-create my XP install CD with the RyanVM patcher system. I do know I've seen SQL & possibly Visual Studio things show up in Windows Update using the updated install method.

I tried the icon on the desktop & the patport.exe file from in the main folder, and both produce the same results. It's the turn of the new year, and I always blow-away my XP install at least twice a year (Jan. 1st usually being the first). I'm going to do a re-install from my original factory SP-2 install CD & see if that cures the problem.

Thanks for all the quick replies guys - I'll let you know later tomorrow how things turned out (because the R9.00.00 did work over 6 months ago to open a codeplug a friend sent me)...

Scott
Scott, W2SJW
w2sjw

Post by w2sjw »

Update - A fresh re-install of XP Pro with nothing more than all the listed updates from the Windows Update site & Office 2007 produces the exact same result: 'The system cannot find the file specified'. :x

I wonder if this is at all related to the large amounts of updates recently to the .NET framework. Are there any of you out there that have up to 3.0 with all the service packs & the XML 6.0 thing that have no problems running CPS?

Scott
Scott, W2SJW
oh2glg
What radios do you own?: DP4801 DM4601 SL7550 MTP850S

Post by oh2glg »

w2sjw wrote:Update - A fresh re-install of XP Pro with nothing more than all the listed updates from the Windows Update site & Office 2007 produces the exact same result: 'The system cannot find the file specified'. :x

I wonder if this is at all related to the large amounts of updates recently to the .NET framework. Are there any of you out there that have up to 3.0 with all the service packs & the XML 6.0 thing that have no problems running CPS?

Scott
That just might be one reason that made my Astro Saber/XTS3000 CPS installed to Win2000 to go sour, but I really can not be certain about that. In my case, there was a quite long period of not using the CPS at all. However, there were several MS updates during that time and those updates were installed. Then later I found out that CPS did not work no more. I really can not confirm it had some or any relation at all to the problem with CPS.

To make things complicated that (MS updates) might not be the issue here. I really need to check my other laptop computer at the office. That has the same version of the CPS and it works fine there and as far as I know, it has an XP with latest updates available. I'll check it probably during next week.
Jussi Strömberg
Ham call: OH2JS/OH2GLG
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

the .net and xml files are on the cps disc that it needs to work, if the problem is that simple then the simple fix would be to get the new version 11 cps and it will work with what's already on your computer.
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS

Return to “Radio Programming”