ht1250 cold problems weird

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

OCSD117
was RPDM313
What radios do you own?: XTL2500, APX3000, APX7000

ht1250 cold problems weird

Post by OCSD117 »

I use my HT1250 out in the Cold, I live in Vermont. Anyway It does not transmit when it is out in the cold for a couple hours. Obviosly this is not acceptable. I also used my AS1 in a colder environment and it worked flawlessly. I am not sure if it is the radio or the battery but either way i need a radio that works when cold any suggestions?? Oh ya I'm poor. I would like a display but it is not nessasary!

Any ideas?
Carlwood Lipton: [real life interview with Lipton where he recites a quote from William Shakespeare] From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.
Garyf629

Re: ht1250 cold problems weird

Post by Garyf629 »

RPDM313 wrote:I use my HT1250 out in the Cold, I live in Vermont. Anyway It does not transmit when it is out in the cold for a couple hours. Obviosly this is not acceptable.
When you try to transmit, does it beep, or make any sounds, is the display working? How old is your battery, is it a low voltage situation?

We have a bunch of these that are use by a SAR group in the Presidential Range in New Hampshire. (Mount Washington area for all you non New Englanders) They regularly spend days at a time out in the cold with no issues. They do replace batteries every season, and store their spare batteries in a warm area, when on a rescue.
OCSD117
was RPDM313

Post by OCSD117 »

I believe that it has to do with the batteries freezing. I have some new ones and some old ones after about 2 hours in the cold it will recieve but not transmit.
Carlwood Lipton: [real life interview with Lipton where he recites a quote from William Shakespeare] From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.
northstarfire0693
What radios do you own?: MTS 2000, HT 1250, MV

Post by northstarfire0693 »

That sounds wierd....If it not the battery I would have it looked at by Motorola. I use a HT 1250 VHF here in Alaska and it works in temps from -20 down to -45 with no trouble.
OCSD117
was RPDM313

Post by OCSD117 »

I think I figured it out. I beleiev it was an older battery that was affected not the radio!

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”