MSF5000 repeaters in 900mhz - any interest?

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

firevet

Re: MSF5000 repeaters in 900mhz - any interest?

Post by firevet »

Hi all,
I spoke to the seller and just don't think I can make it down to the pickup point this Friday.
A friend is willing to rent a van and go there on the 8th. but that kills the $100 savings in the group buy.

Is there any interest in another group buy next week to keep the price below $100 each?
Several of us are adding up the units we'd like and just tonight we have interest in 4.

If we did rent a van next week, we could store some (6-10?) for others in the NY metro area for a while if they have transportation problems like we do this week.

As a last resort, could I jump on this weeks group buy and go pick up 2-4 from someone this sunday or next week sometime?

Thanks
Dwight
N2FMC
914-490-0837
Radioman01

Post by Radioman01 »

Dwight,

we went there today and bought 49 of the 137 units, when you go down there you will need to
check each unit like we did to make sure that none are busted, we found 4 that were and a few were labeled "FPO"

for parts only
in marker on top of the cabinets
talk to ron, and find out when they are leaving, because i believe it will be in the next couple of days

Tony
NN1D
Radioman01

Post by Radioman01 »

For the guys that bought these units today (friday)

When i got home today i plugged one in and i got a error code of E10 and E11
and i believe its one of 2 problems
1: no HSO units ( i have a after market HSO and i will be trying this Saturday
2: No RX frequency, i don't know if they removed the Rx and TX frequency's from the units before selling them, that is commonly done, but
my RSS software is the wrong version so i cannot tell

you will need
RVN-4077 and i believe a min. version of 5 because when i boot the station it gives a version of 5.00 in the display
I'm kinda bummed out because i don't have that one, and i was hoping to read the station this weekend.

Good luck
Tony
NN1D
willbartlett
Batboard $upporter

Post by willbartlett »

the first unit I powered up seems to be fine. I stuffed 5mhz at .99v from my service monitor into port 3 on the side with the bnc. All the error codes disappear. station will key but I don't have a bird element that will read that high. I'll be looking at more during the afternoon. doesn't look like they deprogrammed these.

Will
n9wys
What radios do you own?: Too many to list! :-)

Post by n9wys »

I've said this in private messages to Tony and John, but I also want to say it publicly.

I want to thank Tony and John for all they did to facilitate our being able to obtain these stations. I also want to commend everyone from the list who participated in this "event" (for lack of a better term). Given that this thing has been coming together and falling apart and coming back together for over a year now, I think the final outcome went very well. The people at PSEG were extremely accommodating, something that surprised me given that we were not involved in the initial purchase of these items from PSEG. I'm not sure I could have done it as smoothly had I won my initial bid.

Many thanks to all who had a hand in this (lets not forget John - motor59 - either!) - and it was GREAT to meet you all for breakfast! <wink>

I look forward to meeting with you all again some time in the future!

VY 73!
Mark - N9WYS
willbartlett
Batboard $upporter

Post by willbartlett »

I'll second that. Many thanks to Tony, all the south shore guys and definitely the PSE+G people. Sorry I couldn't stick around for breakfast, but I needed to get the truck back to my friend and get my daughter after pre-school. I took the hutchisson/merrit back past the NY border and it was a beautiful drive.

As for the stations, I've been able to get the RX to lock up at 902.xxxx mhz with a minor re-adjustment of the rx vco. The TX vco came in without any issues, but after the experience I've had with the PURC5000, that doesn't surprise me. I haven't figured out how to pass receive audio yet, but the test case is behaving like a repeater so far. I see 125 watts out of mine, haven't gotten much further. Now to scare up some HSO modules.

Will
n9wys

Post by n9wys »

Will - are you using a 5 MHz reference or 10 MHz? Some people I have talked to only know about 10 MHz reference oscillators... Maybe while you are at it, I could ask you if you could try feeding a 10 MHz signal into Port 3 and see what happens? I'd be very interested in the results, and (of course) much obliged!
Mark - N9WYS
Radioman01

Post by Radioman01 »

Ok mine is running with the 5 meg hi stab ocs i bought from

http://www.alltronics.com/cgi-bin/item/ ... Oscillator

see if this works
its been running all day on this osc. i'm looking into placing it into the cabinet but the voltage is too high
about 16 volts from the supply is kinda much, maby placing a 12 volt regulater like a 7812 or something

i'm also having trouble with no TX audio on the repeater transmitter, there is nothing, not even PL
its possible that a jumper was missing, but i don't have a manual for this model.

Tony
NN1D
Radioman01

Post by Radioman01 »

Ahh..
the link is not working

the site is
http://www.alltronics.com

and under Osc. its on the very last page 18 i believe,
it has a female SMB connector, so i used a SMA/BNC connector,
if you take apart the HI Stab osc box in the bottom of the repeater cabinet you will find a secondary 14.400 osc in there also
under that board mounted on the cabinet is a BNC male connector ready to plug into the Hi Stab osc after you use a SMAtoBNC female your
in
only use the connector on the left side of the box under the pc board, the connector on the right side is the output for the repeater ref.

Tony
NN1D
willbartlett
Batboard $upporter

Post by willbartlett »

10 MHZ is a no-go. Too bad. In addition, there is a regulator board present in the PURC5K HSO boxes, so you'll want to breadboard something to regulate to 12v and add a significant amount of EMI filtering as well. Common and differential mode would be advisable. I'll try to get pictures and schematics from the PURC manual as a guide.

Anybody formed a yahoo or google group yet?

Will
Radioman01

Post by Radioman01 »

Will,
have you found a fix for the TX and PL audio..
i'm still working on mine, there is no audio on the transmitter its not getting sent to the along with PL or DPL

Tony
NN1D
w2ymm
What radios do you own?: MAXTRAC HT1250 MTX GTX etc..

Post by w2ymm »

Hey Guys, Nice to meet you all on Friday.
I'm stuck at a basic here.
When I try to read the repeater I'm getting an error message on the pc
STATION DOES NOT RESPOND
PLEASE CHECK CONNECTIONS AND TRY AGAIN.
My cable seems to be made correctly. Com port is correct.
Tried all the different baud rates.
Is there something I'm overlooking ?
Am I able to read the unit although It has the error codes ?

Using R05.21 11/20/94
Any thought
Thanks
Bob Prybyzerski W2YMM (2 units) :D
Robert Prybyzerski Jr
W2YMM
http://www.w2ymm.net
Echolink 1224 & 21808/ IRLP 4265 & 8883
Cell 631-960-1051 LI NY
Radioman01

Post by Radioman01 »

you have a RIB between the PC and cable?

what cable are you using the 40 pin or the 6 pin

Tony
w2ymm

Post by w2ymm »

Hey Tony, I'm using a Moto Rib with a 6 pin modular to the front panel.
Pin 1 on the modular to pin 1 of the db25
and pin 6 on the modular to pin 15 of the db25
with pins 4 and 11 shorted together within the db25.

Bob P
Robert Prybyzerski Jr
W2YMM
Cell 631-960-1051 LI NY
Radioman01

Post by Radioman01 »

Looking at the phone RJ-11 the tab down to the floor and the cable in hand

DB25 pin 1 is on the right hand side of the modular jack

Tony
NN1D
willbartlett
Batboard $upporter

Post by willbartlett »

Radioman01 wrote:Will,
have you found a fix for the TX and PL audio..
i'm still working on mine, there is no audio on the transmitter its not getting sent to the along with PL or DPL

Tony
NN1D

No, Not yet. I have one of the MSF test sets plugged into the 40 pin header on the top of the controller. I can hear the RX audio, CWID when it comes up, but nothing gets routed to the transmitter. I'll be speaking with a MSF guru this week and will forward all the useful info to the group. I'll keep hammering on it in the meantime. I may be able to pick up a full service manual in the next day or so.

Those 5mhz ovenized oscillators look real nice, they'll fit in the 14.4 mhz oscillator side of the HSO tray, plenty of room in there. The power supply might need to get split off the one for the 14.4Mhz board and filtered, but it's probably pretty clean there.

Will
rrfd43
What radios do you own?: Cobra 25 LTD Classic with echo

Post by rrfd43 »

Well here are a few pictures of the event:

BTW Nice to meet all who attended and thanks to all who made this happen, and of course Tony for working the phones and angles to pull off the final pick up.

All the rest

19 on one truck?!

The party planner himself

What a group
n1oty
What radios do you own?: xts3000/2500/mcs2000/mts2000

Post by n1oty »

I had a blast with this event. I'm sorry that some batlabbers could not attend. Those that did had a blast, starting with breakfast at "The Diner". After a short confusion about the address of the warehouse, we all converged on the facility and proceeded with the loading. Everyone pitched in and helped check repeaters, lock down VCO's and load vehicles. A special tip of the cap is owed to the staff at the warehouse. Their forklifts made the loading MUCH easier.

I would urge anyone interested in these repeaters (there is still about 90 units left) to contact the bid winner no later than tomorrow in order to see how much longer these units will be available in NJ. As long as you get enough people to purchase a total of 10 or more, he'll take $100 a pop. I'm going to call him tomorrow on behalf of another Massachusetts group that would like to acquire a couple.

I have to admit that my truck got it's biggest workout ever. We stuffed 12 units in the bed and another 5 on a small trailer. Tony put another 4 in the bed of his truck. I had to give myself plenty of braking distance in traffic during the ride home. I still think the funniest sight was watching Steve from Bridgewater, MA stuffing the back end of his car (Subaru?) with as many repeaters as he could. It reminded me of the Little Engine That Could.

I will check with M tomorrow about the availability of manuals, although I suspect they are NLA. Regardless, there are places on the internet where I found copies of certain manuals for these repeaters, including the ones for testing and alignment. Anyone wanting those web addresses, please PM me.

Hopefully, we will all soon report having operational MSF5000 repeaters.

John
N1OTY
Radioman01

Post by Radioman01 »

w2ymm wrote:Hey Guys, Nice to meet you all on Friday.
I'm stuck at a basic here.
When I try to read the repeater I'm getting an error message on the pc
STATION DOES NOT RESPOND
PLEASE CHECK CONNECTIONS AND TRY AGAIN.
My cable seems to be made correctly. Com port is correct.
Tried all the different baud rates.
Is there something I'm overlooking ?
Am I able to read the unit although It has the error codes ?

Using R05.21 11/20/94
Any thought
Thanks
Bob Prybyzerski W2YMM (2 units) :D
Bob you can read the station by using F5 instead of F2
read station with death errors,
and it will read, but the code is usless...
you will still need to load a conv.cfg code plug to convert from trunk to conv.
you cannot change the code plug from trunk to conv on the fly you have to use the pre-existing code plug from the MSF directory
don't use the conv_3.cfg its too new, use conv.cfg instead
you also will have to upgrade that conv.cfg to SSCB version 4 and TTRC version 5 before the MSF will allow it to be installed

Tony
NN1D
w2ymm

Post by w2ymm »

Tony, When i read using the F5 command I get
THE SCCB BOARD DOES NOT RESPOND
PLEASE CHECK CONNECTIONS
I also just made a programming cable for the
40 pin connector. Same results.
I'll keep looking into it.
Thanks
Bob P
Robert Prybyzerski Jr
W2YMM
Cell 631-960-1051 LI NY
Radioman01

Post by Radioman01 »

Are you getting any other errors besides

E40
E41
E47
E49
in the display?

Tony
ffmedic25
New User

Post by ffmedic25 »

Good evening. I'm going to call the bid winner tomorrow to see how much longer the repeters will be available. I'm hoping till the end of the week. If that is the case myself and another person from the local area are planing a trip down. We are probably going to be getting aroud 8 of them and I am talking with another gentleman Dwight N2FMC who also is interested in getting probably 3-4 so we are close to the min. to get the 10 for $100.00 each. We are looking to see if anyone else would be interested in going down to get some of the repeters at a good price. Feel free to contact me my E-mail address is ffmedic25@comcast.net. Well 73 for now.

Scott
N1SEC
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

Radioman01 wrote:i'm also having trouble with no TX audio on the repeater transmitter, there is nothing, not even PL its possible that a jumper was missing, but i don't have a manual for this model.

Tony
NN1D
Tony and crew - Its been awhile since I fussed with one of these but I know that there was a mod to disable "in cabinet repeat" by clipping a pin on one of the chips on the controller board. This was done in simulcast systems. Sorry but I can not remember which chip and pin and I do not have the info handy(i will post if I can find it). Pull the controller board and put it under a bright light and look over all the pins on the chips and you should be able to locate it....good luck
fineshot1
NJ USA
n1oty

Post by n1oty »

I called Ron Umberger today at his Florida office. I have good news for any Batlabbers who missed out on the Feb 8th event. The remaining repeaters have NOT been moved to Florida. They have been moved to another facility in NJ. I understand that it is in northern NJ and it is a recycling facility called Newtech. I confirmed that Newtech has a web site. I tried to call them just now, but they are apparently closed for the day. The web site lists a phone number for this facility of (732) 469-9774. Mr. Umberger is still willing to sell repeaters. He is willing to take $100 per unit if the group purchases 20 or more. I've got plenty from the trip on the 8th, but I know some of you folks missed out. I get the impression that there is enough time to put together a second "event" if someone wants to step up and coordinate the next affair.

Be aware that you will need 5 MHZ oscillators in order to make these work, plus you'll need the software and cable to program. Also, there is an audio issue that has yet to be resolved, though we have our best and brightest working on the solution. The repeaters are generally clean and in fine shape though. It just takes some technical savvy to make it work in a conventional repeater mode. These were used in a trunking environment.

I'd recommend that any Batlabbers wanting to get in on some of these should contact Scott (N1SEC) directly at the email address given.

John
N1OTY
Radioman01

Post by Radioman01 »

Fineshot1

YOUR RIGHT!!!

i found the IC that has the leg yanked off, right off that is...

U831 repeated audio gate according to the service manual....

if you flip open the tray its on the left hand side next to the power supply input wires
next to the white and red verticle boards, its a small chip 8 legs

Dam!
good job!
now to replace these because they didn't clip it they yanked the leg right out..

Tony
NN1D
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

Radioman01 wrote:Dam!good job!
now to replace these because they didn't clip it they yanked the leg right out..
Tony
NN1D
Yes - U831 rings a bell.
I was actually able to use a very fine point soldering iron and used a very very thin strand of wire and soldered between the chip and the trace but I may have been lucky. It was tough but do-able. There must be enough metal of the leg exposed on the side of the chip. The only way I was able to do it was to remove the controller board from the plastic tray and do it on the bench with alot of light and the right tools.
fineshot1
NJ USA
Radioman01

Post by Radioman01 »

Do you have any info on that IC...
the book i have is saying its a 14 pin IC but its a 8 pic ic

Tony
NN1D
ffmedic25
New User

Post by ffmedic25 »

I'm thinking about going down on Friday but still looking for some people to go down to get some. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Scott
W6WAW

Post by W6WAW »

Anyone already bringing one out to the Los Angeles area who has room tor carry a second? If so, I would be interested in a unit and would help pay for transportation / gas out here.

Thanks.

Fred
willbartlett
Batboard $upporter

Post by willbartlett »

Good call. mine's fixed now......

I looked at the usual chip document sites, and X9503PI brings up nothing. Google it and all the discontinued chip suppliers, who have all copied each others listings, bring up a part # but no description. americaII.com doesn't even list it, so there's probably no hope there. I'll go through all the other ones I'm holding tonight and verify the state of mine. Maybe it's a moto part # from before they sold off the semiconductor division. Start looking through the syntor, maxtrac and syntor x9k's for the part.

Radioman01 wrote:Do you have any info on that IC...
the book i have is saying its a 14 pin IC but its a 8 pic ic

Tony
NN1D
Radioman01

Post by Radioman01 »

OK..
hold out for a few minutes
i have the correct moto book and i have a part number

i'll send it in the next e-mail, just hang on i'm running out the door at the moment

Tony
NN1D
Radioman01

Post by Radioman01 »

Hide the 900mhz frequency's pair's

ITS ALIVE!!

i have a nice code plug built stripping that extra board off and it sounds great!

Tony
NN1D
rrfd43

Post by rrfd43 »

OK there Mr. co-ordinator man... what is the secret? I plan on programming mine on friday? Sounds like you bipassed the whole bad chip board?
Radioman01

Post by Radioman01 »

Nope..
actually i took the advice of Fineshot1 and looked over the other control boards that i have and one of the others didn't have the
leg yanked out

so i scraped the plastic a bit and found a micro-hair piece of metal to solder too.

i forgot the book at work, so I'll post the moto number tomorrow, i need to order a couple of ic's myself
for the 2 others i have.
they call the IC's EEPOT's 8 pin, it controls the audio to the repeater controler

Tony
NN1D
willbartlett
Batboard $upporter

Post by willbartlett »

Tony, check in the service manual, if that's what you have. I saw reference in my installation/alignment manual to a 5/10 mhz reference from the HSO shelf. I looked at the board inside the shelf, TRN9910B, and there are a string of jumers. I think we can make these run off 10 MHZ. only reason I want to cut over is the high availability of 10mhz oscilators. I think I have 3 or 4 in the junk bin, a 10mhx OCXO will probably be in the $10 range as opposed to the 5mhz variety at $50. Also, anybody who has been fooling with the GPS disciplined 10mhz oscillators will like this too.

Will
Radioman01

Post by Radioman01 »

I'll look in the morning when i get into work, and see if i can find it.
the manual covered just about everything, all the boards

I'll look for that HSO board, i hope its not a separate manual

after a few tweaks in audio and pl level its operating well, the code plug was kinda tricky on what kind of logic
in the repeater mode and not the trunking mode

the rx had its own logic of PL and audio access
the controller had its own logic for PL and audio access
i believe i have it all sorted out now and with the service monitor i can open the repeater with pl at .1 sens
and next to perfect audio and signal at .4 sens
the receiver is really hot..
i was really surprised at how well this thing receives

Tony
NN1D
willbartlett
Batboard $upporter

Post by willbartlett »

Dave, thanks for the info. The board I have is different. I have 9 jumpers. I got sick of having the tx portion of the service monitor dedicated to reference duty. I started an iterative change of jumpers, and after I don't know how many steps, finally came up with jumpers 2, 6, and 7 installed for 10mhz. If somebody else wants to figure out 1mhz, have at it. I'm done here for tonight.

Mods, I'm cross posting this to the buying thread so the folks who are only watching that one will see the info there. feelmfree to delete whichever makes sense.

Will
MSS-Dave wrote:
willbartlett wrote:Dave, if you could look up the jumper settings for some of the other frequencies, I, and a lot of other people, would be eternally grateful.....

Will
OK then... Dug in the garage and came up with this. The Reference Synthesizer Board is a TLF 6816A. It has a 14.4 MHz VCXO that is phase locked to the HSO which can be 100 KHz, 1 MHz, 5 MHz or 10 MHz. I have only run the stock config of 5 MHz in many sites but I have had 10 stations daisy chained to a single source when I had a failure. Jumper settings are: JU20 OUT, JU21 OUT = 100 KHz. JU20 OUT, JU21 IN = 1 MHz. JU20 IN, JU21 IN = 5 MHz (default) JU20 IN, JU21 OUT = 10 MHz. These jumpers are 0 Ohm resistors. The HSO has to be very stable due to the reference dividers that are in the chain. I've run stations using the output from a service monitor at +5 dBm but I don't think it will lock at 0 or less.

Looking at some of the latest posts, looks like there will be lots of 927 machines going all over the place. Good Luck with it!

BTW... If someone came up with the MSF 5K 900 TRUNKED station manual, the schematic and board descriptions are located in the reference synthesis tab. There should be simular in the PURC 5K book also.

Dave
ffmedic25
New User

Post by ffmedic25 »

Ok so here is the deal. For anyone interested in getting one of these nice repeters I am going down on Friday with a gent from NH. Currently I believe we are just at the 20 unit mark, they are still $100.00 each. Remarkably this nice gent happens to have a CDL and has offered to rent a 33k GVW truck to go down to pick up these units due to the shear fact that most of the people this time around don't have transprotation. The more units we get the lower the cost per unit for transport but more importantly the more people interested not only the lower cost per unit but also the lower cost per person. He has said that he would be willing to drop off along the 95, 93, and I believe 495 corridors. If you are interested in one or more of these units and are in need of transportation please contact Jason WA1NH via e-mail @ ikebub@gmail.com. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Scott
Radioman01

Post by Radioman01 »

I have the IC number,

Its motorola part number
5182335V01
its a EEPOT 50K 10% _9312_

that is whats listed in the book for a U831 ic that was cut

Tony
NN1D
rrfd43

Post by rrfd43 »

I ordered one up, I will let you know next week when I see it.
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

What pin # was cut/destroyed/broken on U831?

Bob M.
Radioman01

Post by Radioman01 »

Tony
NN1D
Radioman01

Post by Radioman01 »

Bob P.

are able to read and write to your stations yet?

Tony
NN1D
w2ymm

Post by w2ymm »

Hey Tony, I haven't really messed with it yet.
I reinstalled my software in the laptop and tried again with the same results.

I'll be bringing it over to my friends house soon so he can have
a crack at it.
I feel it's something I'm doing wrong.
I'll let you know what happens.
Bob P W2YMM
Robert Prybyzerski Jr
W2YMM
Cell 631-960-1051 LI NY
n1oty

Post by n1oty »

Since I have a business account with Motorola, I called them the other day trying to get the complete service manual for these repeaters. I was told that they no longer had the 900 MHZ manual, but that they did have the 800 MHz manual and they gave me a part number of 6881064E70. The list price was just over $52.00 and my wholesale price was just under $40. I figured I'd just order the 800 MHZ manual and hope that it would be useful. Well, the box arrived today and was I ever surprised. The shipping tag shows the 6881064E70 part number and refers to it being the 800 MHZ version, but the manual was plainly the 900 MHZ version (both trunking and conventional). I don't know if this was just a fluke mistake where I ended up with the version I really wanted, but I suspect that this part number is really for the 900 MHZ units. I do know that Motorola has more of these on the shelf and MOL shows that it is still available. I just wanted to let you guys know in case some of you need the manual. Get it now before they run out.

John
N1OTY
n1oty

Post by n1oty »

I received a call from the auction winner, Mr. Umberger. He is looking into the cost of freight shipping these units around the country. I suggested that he check on the cost of shipping a complete pallet with 4 repeaters on it, since that's how these are currently palletized. He indicated that he would prefer to sell the remainder rather than scrap them. I suggest that any of you folks on the west coast or midwest may want to call Mr. Umberger if you have interest in these machines. I suspect you'll get the best deal if you deal in blocks of four.

John
N1OTY
w2ymm

Post by w2ymm »

Here is a picture of the u831 chip if anyone is interested in seeing it.
I have the IC number,
Its motorola part number
5182335V01
its a EEPOT 50K 10% _9312_
that is whats listed in the book for a U831 ic that was cut
Robert Prybyzerski Jr
W2YMM
Cell 631-960-1051 LI NY
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

Thanks for the photo.

By the way, the pin that's cut on U831 in the picture is pin 3, not pin 7 as stated earlier. This makes a whole lot more sense.

It seems that Motorola used different part numbers as the product line grew.

Bob M.
n9wys

Post by n9wys »

OK - I have a question regarding manuals - since I've seen two different numbers popping up.

I checked Motorola parts, and found the following:
MAN INSTR 900MHZ MSF5000 DEPOT 6881092E90

Is this the manual I need, or is the other number (the one ending with E70) the proper one???
Sorry for my delay in getting involved with these, but I've been laid up in the hospital all week... ARRGH!!

Thanks!
Mark - N9WYS
w2ymm

Post by w2ymm »

Mark, The manual i have has a part number on it of
68P81064E70-B MSF5000 Trunked Repeater and Repeater (RT) Stations
and this covers 935-941 tx and 896-902 rx.

Guess you got rid of some stones :o
Feel Better.
Bob P W2YMM
Robert Prybyzerski Jr
W2YMM
Cell 631-960-1051 LI NY

Return to “Radio Programming”