XTS4000 Availability

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

xmo

XTS4000 Availability

Post by xmo »

The word is that Motorola will soon release the VHF and UHF XTS4000 models for state & local government sales.

No word yet on other bands. The big concern the Motorola has about making this product available for wider distribution is that the product limitiations [short battery life and reduced range compared to a standard portable antenna] will generate volumes of complaints.

If it looks like a cell phone it should run all day and talk everwhere just like a cellphone - right? No...

When you consider that this product has all the features of an XTS5000 in a tiny package - it is totally amazing how well it works.
txshooter

Re: XTS4000 Availability

Post by txshooter »

If only I could talk my agency into buying them.......probably not going to happen.
Scott B.
"Never argue with seven men when you are carrying a six shooter..."
libuff

Post by libuff »

what ARE the statistics on battery life? and what UHF band are they looking to release in, both 403-470 and 450-520?
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

At the rate we break our town issued nextels, we would definately go bankrupt in a month!
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

libuff wrote:what ARE the statistics on battery life? and what UHF band are they looking to release in, both 403-470 and 450-520?

It's made for the feds, so likely 380-470.
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Post by N4DES »

It looks like you can by them in Canada....

http://connect-wireless.com/branded/mot ... ts4000.htm
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

I noted the following items on the brochure:

1. No FPP, of course -- yet!
2. RGB screen -- nice.
3. 630 mAh battery for output of 1 to 2 watts. A fair compromise for
the battery's size, obviously, but you'd better carry a spare anyway.
4. Current brochure covers the VHF model only.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
CAPTLPOL
On Moderation

Post by CAPTLPOL »

How much? I know, it depends on the flashcode and features. What is the base price?
VoIP BAT-6996
xmo

Post by xmo »

The initial UHF offering is Range 1, 380 - 470

All ASTRO Digital XTS4000 packaged models include the following hardware features:
2 Li Ion Batteries
Plastic Holster
Encryption Module equipped with DES-XL/DES-OFB/ADES/DVP-XL and OTAR
1 Antenna 380-470 MHz
User Guide/CD Manual

Flash options are more bundled than on other radios, you pick one of two packages.

Conventional Package H44 option includes the following:
Conventional, Digital Operation, Digital ID, Remote Monitor Radio Trace, One Touch, Repeater Access, Conventional Vote Scan, and Conventional Radio Cloning

Trunking Package H45 option includes the following:
Smartzone, Digital Operation, 9600 Trunking, Digital ID, Remote Monitor, One Touch, Repeater Access, Omnilink
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With the conventional package and a charger the radio will probably list at around $3500, add another $900 to upgrade to the trunking package.

FPP? What's that? ;)
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

Does this thing actually have a phone in it as well, or is it just a two-way radio in a phone case?
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

Just a 2-way in a phone case.

That'd be bomb if they actually made one with a phone in it.
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

I feel a new avatar is now appropriate :lol:
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

This is one astro product I can safely say that I will not own. While cool for sure I think its use for the "normal" user isn't worth while, secret service type stuff, sure.

Jason

Oops I lied, mine will be coming.
PhillyPhoto
was LuiePL
What radios do you own?: XTS5000, APX2000

Post by PhillyPhoto »

KS4VT wrote:It looks like you can by them in Canada....

http://connect-wireless.com/branded/mot ... ts4000.htm
Connect Wireless is out of Ontario, CA (as in California) not Ontario, CAN...
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Post by N4DES »

OK...I stand corrected.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

I want to say that somewhere I saw a video clip of a FPP VHF XTS4k. I'll confirm later.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
xmo

Post by xmo »

I won't be needing the video clip....
W8RW

Post by W8RW »

libuff wrote:what ARE the statistics on battery life?
I couldn't find the actual battery life in the specs. Maybe I missed it. However, according to the service manual the battery drain is:

Standby = 89 mA
Receive = 210 mA
Transmit = 950 mA

The battery capacity is 630 mAh, so using the 5% transmit, 5% receive, and 90% standby rule, the battery will last 4.6 hours. For 10/10/80 it is 3.4 hours, and if it never receives or transmits (standby only) the battery should last 7.1 hours.

Also note that the output power is a mere 2 watts

This thing reminds me of the HT100 versus the HT220. It was a cute toy to wear around at the hamfest, but that was about it.
Batwings21

Post by Batwings21 »

Does it have Bluetooth? That would be nice for covert use...
bellersley
No Longer Registered

Post by bellersley »

In terms of a hobbyist (or at least, non LEO) capacity, this could be quite practical price depending. I carry a UHF radio with me all the time which is used 99% of the time on RX. Something like this would be perfect as it doesn't stand out and scream for attention.

I wonder if it uses the same accessories as an iDEN phone as in, PTT headsets and the like.

While I wouldn't spend $5,000 on one, I'd think nothing of dropping $1500 give or take.
PhillyPhoto
was LuiePL
What radios do you own?: XTS5000, APX2000

Post by PhillyPhoto »

Trunking Package H45 option includes the following:
Smartzone, Digital Operation, 9600 Trunking, Digital ID, Remote Monitor, One Touch, Repeater Access, Omnilink
I have a question in regards to the flash packages. Is this something that will become common in the future when ordering radios, where if you want trunking you don't just get the individual options but you get a "set" of options? Or is this already standard practice?
JRUTA
What radios do you own?: APX6k Visar

Post by JRUTA »

Asolutely incredible- at least the coolness factor. Anyone care to speculate on base price??
CAPTLPOL
On Moderation

Post by CAPTLPOL »

XMO already offered up the price in this thread.
With the conventional package and a charger the radio will probably list at around $3500, add another $900 to upgrade to the trunking package.
VoIP BAT-6996
JRUTA

Post by JRUTA »

Sorry, didn't see that before.

I guess that's "reasonable" for an astro radio- especially considering the physical package. One question for anyone who's handled one , I would THINK it's got to be slightly tougher built than the iden radio it mimics, No?
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

It's bigger and bulkier and more squared off. I didn't get to actually mess with it but it looked pretty robust.

JRUTA wrote:Sorry, didn't see that before.

I guess that's "reasonable" for an astro radio- especially considering the physical package. One question for anyone who's handled one , I would THINK it's got to be slightly tougher built than the iden radio it mimics, No?
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

I’ve had a play:

No Bluetooth but does have a rubber covered socket for a headset.

You need three antennas to cover VHF (136-151, 145-166, & 162-174 MHz).

Single antenna for UHF to 470 MHz.

High band UHF is still only a definite maybe.

The battery life is short so welcome to the vehicle charging cradle. Moto quote 4 hours for the 5/5/90% duty cycle. And remember for the type of service these units are intended they’re not going to be sitting on dispatch with the more typical 50% rx duty cycle.

The audio is a bit strange as you need to remember to turn on the speaker if you want to use it like an HT, default is cellular style earpiece audio mode. This means you'll miss hearing normal calls unless you use Astro alerting features. Speaker audio is weak.

As XMO mentioned the demo model had EMC with like everything except DVP.

CPS 9 worked fine but needs a special cable.

The color screen is hard to read outside in the sun.

There is a dirty great big 0 with a slash thru it printed on the secure button on the top of the unit. Any bad guy who is familiar with high tier Motorola products is gonna wonder 'bout that on your overweight Razar.

Having said all, there is a nice solid feel to the thing and people other than radio techs do think you packing a cellular phone with a big battery.

It is a surveillance radio, not a replacement for a general purpose HT or a phone - if you want a small P25 radio get a XTS2500.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Astro Spectra wrote:There is a dirty great big 0 with a slash thru it printed on the secure button on the top of the unit. Any bad guy who is familiar with high tier Motorola products is gonna wonder 'bout that on your overweight Razar.
Fail. You should have killed the bad guy LONG before he got close enough to see the Ø.
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

Ah, you see that's why the XTS 4000 is for three letter agencies and not law enforcement or Batboard members. Surveillance is part of getting to know your enemy ... not just killing them.

Therefore one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the most skillful. Seizing the enemy without fighting is the most skillful.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Astro Spectra wrote:Ah, you see that's why the XTS 4000 is for three letter agencies and not law enforcement or Batboard members. Surveillance is part of getting to know your enemy ... not just killing them.

Therefore one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the most skillful. Seizing the enemy without fighting is the most skillful.
+1
radtech
New User

Post by radtech »

Just wondering if the London UK Metropolitan Police are using the XTS-4000.

As far as I know, they have a SmartZone System, and as seen in the UK TV Series "The Bill" they are using a mobile phone lookalike radio. (if you have cable with UK programs you might have access to that series to check).

Thanks
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Post by batdude »

i think MET went to tetra a few years back....

d
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
Jason

Post by Jason »

They sure did. No more Smartzone analog, its all DIMETRA.....
dxon2m

Post by dxon2m »

I still see some of them (at least from pics) with those oddball jedi speaker mic. I guess not EVERYONE has went TETRA yet across the pond?
CAPTLPOL
On Moderation

Post by CAPTLPOL »

So has Motorola really restricted sales, or is that just someone's opinion on who may purchase?
VoIP BAT-6996
JRUTA

Post by JRUTA »

Yes, really restricted. I know this because I asked my longtime friend/authorized Moto dealer if he knew anything about it (which he did not) and when he got back to me he said it is in fact a restricted item. despite the fact that HE'S a dealer- anyone wanting one would need the proper "connection" (meaning me- lol) Fact is I think it's kinda silly to restrict a radio that does the same thing as a 5K simply because it's packaged differently, hell I'd sooner buy an SSE if it were readily available!
RADIO43
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: 900 MHZ APX4000

Post by RADIO43 »

XTS4000 will be released to State and Local Government agencies on or around April 27th, 2008, Did anyone else get this email?
In Time of Crisis, You will Not Rise to the Occasion but Rather Default to your Level of Training!
citylink_uk

Post by citylink_uk »

dxon2m wrote:I still see some of them (at least from pics) with those oddball jedi speaker mic. I guess not EVERYONE has went TETRA yet across the pond?
ALL England, Wales & Scotland Police are on the national TETRA system, including the Met Police in London.

Those Jedi Mics with the UHF antennas were for the MTS2000's on the Met Police Moto Type II Smartzone system which is now mostly unused.

TETRA is too expensive here to be sold commercially, thats where TRBO is coming in, however TETRA is quite popular commercially in other European countries.

Radio isn't high up the budget list for most commercial companies here in the UK, so most prefer to settle for the cheapest option!

Rich
NickH

Post by NickH »

RADIO43 wrote:XTS4000 will be released to State and Local Government agencies on or around April 27th, 2008, Did anyone else get this email?
Yes.
RADIO43
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: 900 MHZ APX4000

Post by RADIO43 »

Update: XTS4000 will be available for sale on April 25th to State and Local Governement Users. I have the spec sheets so if anyone is intrested in any info just PM me.

Here is one interesting receiver fact for the VHF model:

1% BER - 0.25 uV
5% BER - 0.22 uV

As far as receiver sensitivity & selectivity, spec sheet says - Measured in Digital Mode per TIA/EIA IS 102.CAAA

Hope this helps.....
In Time of Crisis, You will Not Rise to the Occasion but Rather Default to your Level of Training!
Firebuff66
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by Firebuff66 »

Played with one today. VHF we put some local repeaters in it and it did well. From the factory it was putting out 2.8 watts. RX was .19 not sure where they got .25 from. I'll keep playing and let everyone know if I find anything neat.
Burtle
What radios do you own?: Too many Motorolas!!!

Post by Burtle »

Wont be too long till they show themselves on ebay...... :lol:

I wouldn't mind getting one, just for the pure fact that every guy has a 5000,3000 etc and i could hide it in my pocket...
Astroboy

Post by Astroboy »

PARANOID :)

Hiding in your pocket, come on :P

looks neat and will be keen to get my hands on one and try it out

Cheers
kb9suy
What radios do you own?: too many!!

Post by kb9suy »

Id rather see them release the sse5000 and and support it maybe a model 2 and 3. I would love a saber type radio with the platform of astro25

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”