MSF5000 repeaters in 900mhz - any interest?

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

CAPTLPOL
On Moderation

Re: MSF5000 repeaters in 900mhz - any interest?

Post by CAPTLPOL »

What did they end up doing with the unsold repeaters?
VoIP BAT-6996
n9wys
What radios do you own?: Too many to list! :-)

Post by n9wys »

If anyone is interested... I have 5 more cables needed for tuning these stations than I need. They are Motorola part #TRN7799A, and are one of the items in the "Digital Tuning Kit." The cable consists of a short piece of thin coax with a male BNC on one end, and a short exposed end at the other that gets inserted into the RF tray at various locations to inject a signal for tuning. I tried to find the complete tuning kit at Motorola Parts, but the number I have shows NLA. (Yes, I 've had problems finding the correct stuff at Motorola Parts Online before...)

If anyone needs/wants one, contact me direct or via PM... and let me what you have for barter. 8)

Mark - N9WYS
Mark - N9WYS
Mastertech

Post by Mastertech »

hey Tony, my HSO is the moto HSO; In fact, its about the size of a brick. I bought it for 100 bucks allong with it's power supply and cables. I actuially explain what I did in an earlier post.
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

the version 5+ prom allows you to strip PL/DPL on hang time with a simple software toggle
Do you have any info about this software toggle? Location? Value? How to do it?

I know the internal controller shuts coded squelch off during the ID cycle IF the hang time is short enough.

Bob M.
n1jfu
New User

Post by n1jfu »

Finally getting around to playing with my newly acquired MSF5000. Got the Ref osc and RX VCO issues worked out, starting looking at the software and I think I've hit a snag.

I'm using RSS 5.21, I can read/write the trunked plug that's currently on the machine, I just can't seem to get the conventional plug loaded.

The process I'm using is the following, somewhat abbreviated:

1. Load the conv.xxx codeplug
2. Upgrade the version of the plug
3. Change the model to 896Mhz
4. program mode/channel
5. Attempt to write

When I try to write I get "Station not responding", even thought I can read/write the trunked plug.

What am I missing?

-Steve
N1JFU
-Steve
N1JFU
n1jfu
New User

Post by n1jfu »

Ok, I somehow missed all the previous posts about the software issues. I'm using Win95, doing f8 at startup to get just the command line. I assume that if I can read-write the trunked config, I should be able to write a conventional plug, is that a bad assumption?

Also, where in the software do you disable the TTRC? I'm poking around but I don't see that option...

-Steve
N1JFU
-Steve
N1JFU
Mastertech

Post by Mastertech »

Hey Steve, I was having a terribly hard time reading and writing to my station and it turned out to be because I was running the MSF program in a DOS box under windows 98SE rather than in true DOS. What made things worse was that it seemed like the program was working correctly in the DOS box because I could read the station. However, as soon as I tried to write any thing at all... well thats when all the fun started. If you are really stuck PM me and ill be happy to give as many details as I can.

To answer your question... if this is a trunking station like mine is.... YES you can write a CONV.XXX file into it to make it into a regular station.

And, if I recall correctly, I think the TTRC disable/enable selection is under "Advanced Information" but you should see it if you look around; I stumbled onto it.
rrfd43
What radios do you own?: Cobra 25 LTD Classic with echo

Post by rrfd43 »

N1JFU

How fast is your computer? What is the chip speed?

Make sure it is slow, these are really old programs running....
RWhite
What radios do you own?: GTX/Spectra/XTL1500/MSF5000

Post by RWhite »

rrfd43 wrote:N1JFU

How fast is your computer? What is the chip speed?

Make sure it is slow, these are really old programs running....
I use a pretty old Sony Vaio and boot up using a DOS Boot disk. It has never failed a lick during programming my MSF5000 Analog Plus (and my GTX's and Spectra's). I am pretty sure the processor speed is far less than 1 GHz, maybe 400 MHz?
Roger, W5RDW
Murphy, Texas
rrfd43

Post by rrfd43 »

I had luck with my 120 mghz pentium. I turned the l1 and l2 casche (?) off and it still complained some when reading. It was able to write without a problem. I would try something slower, but that is just my bet.
n1jfu
New User

Post by n1jfu »

Ok, I feel really stupid now, I had both trunking and secure enabled. I didn't realize there was a second screen under station options!

Repeater is working fine now, with a little bit of a 60hz hum. I'll do a complete re-cap as Will suggested. My repair of u831 seems to have worked, it's passing audio.
-Steve
N1JFU
Mastertech

Post by Mastertech »

Do you guys think we really need to re cap the machines if all the caps look fine. I looked at my machine very carefuly and nothing is leaking. WIll new caps really allow for better audio even if they look fine?
redbeard
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Yaesu

Post by redbeard »

Edit... I answered my own question below.
Last edited by redbeard on Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Look, it's not in my nature to be mysterious. But I can't talk about it and I can't talk about why.
Radioman01

Post by Radioman01 »

RRFD,

my computer is a P3 850,
and no problems programming any moto equipment, as long as you are in REAL DOS mode
and not the fake dos, windows is trying to do..

N1JFU,
you have to look at every parameter and if your not sure use the F1 help command,
BTW make sure that the spectra-Tac is also disabled, thats a useless item unless your going to add
a voting system and more RX''s.

Tony
NN1D
willbartlett
Batboard $upporter

Post by willbartlett »

Mastertech wrote:Do you guys think we really need to re cap the machines if all the caps look fine. I looked at my machine very carefuly and nothing is leaking. WIll new caps really allow for better audio even if they look fine?
If you don't have any leaky ones now, you might be alright. I just brought it up as I had leaks in almost every one of mine. Given that the machines are all of a nearly identical vintage, I'd be concerned. As somebody said recently about repairs to repeaters, "better on the bench than at the site". It's only about $5 in capacitors per unit, cheap insurance as far as I'm concerned. they're all leaded components, no SMT eye-strain issues.

Will
Mastertech

Post by Mastertech »

Sound logic. Thanks for the reply Will.
redbeard

Post by redbeard »

So who is up for another run to pick up some of these? I just got off the phone and there are plenty left and still in NJ at Newtech. I am coming from the Pittsburgh area and will have a trailer on my SUV. Looks like the pricing is still in line with what others have done, so I'm looking to get orders together for 20pcs at $100ea.

Let me know, I have all the details and would like to do this ASAP. We can make a run on Saturday (8MAR2008) and they will have someone in the warehouse until noon. I'd rather not burn a vacation day to go during the week if at all possible.
Look, it's not in my nature to be mysterious. But I can't talk about it and I can't talk about why.
redbeard

Post by redbeard »

It looks like it will be too much of a hassle to get there in time on Saturday, so I'm going to do a Friday thing like has been done in the past. Friday, March 14th is the date and I've made arrangements to handle the payments so it will be cash and carry on-site. Anyone who wants to meet along the way and caravan or pitch in on a rental let me know. As it sits, unless I bring the trailer I'm only good for 1 rider and 3 stations in my truck unless I bring the trailer then I can probably do 6 stations and 3 riders. This is weather-permitting since it's an open trailer.

My route will basically be the PA Turnpike (I-76) from the Cranberry connector to Carlisle, then up I-81 to I-78 to I-278 into NJ.

Also, this is just a thought I'm tossing around, but for those of you that will be attending Dayton from far off and away (like tvsjr) I could potentially grab extra units and store them to bring to Dayton to disperse. I could probably do this for up to about 6 pieces. We would have to discuss logistics since this would mean I would likely have to rent a larger trailer or U-Haul for Friday's trip. I can manage using my small trailer to get them to Dayton.
Mastertech

Post by Mastertech »

Well I should have my metering panel and cables in a few days. Judgeing from the work I have done to the station thus far I think I will tear through the complete alignment procedure in a day or so. It's looking like my station will be ready for a full on air test within the next 10 days (denepnding on my sked). My friend is going to help me set the machine up at a site in westchester NY and we'll see how it goes from there. Is any one else ready to get their machines on the air? As soon as the machine is up ill list the freq's so local hams can paly around on it. Also:

I HAVE A NUMBER OF COMPLETE PURC 5000 HSO TRAYS... THESE HAVE EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO UPGRADE YOUR STATIONS WITH COMPLETE MOTOROLA 5 MHZ HSO'S, THE 11 VOLT POWER SUPPLIES AND ALL WIRES. IM SELLING THE COMPLETE TRAY (SO YOU WILL HAVE SPARE PARTS TOO) FOR 150. IF ANY ONE IS INTERESTED, LET ME KNOW.
jeremyn
What radios do you own?: XTS3K ASaber MTS2K HT1250LS+

Post by jeremyn »

Does anyone have any idea of how much it would cost to ship one or two (or four?) of these things to the Los Angeles area?
I would be interested in picking up one or two....I'll poll some other hams and see if anyone else I know is interested.

For that matter, is anyone else here who is interested in obtaining one or more of these located in the LA area?

Jeremy
Last edited by jeremyn on Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mastertech

Post by Mastertech »

Hey Jeremy,

Well I can't answer your question directly I can tell you this: The machines are about 275Lbs and would need to be put on a pallet with edge guards. You may want to contact a shipping company such as roadway and ask them.
jeremyn
What radios do you own?: XTS3K ASaber MTS2K HT1250LS+

Post by jeremyn »

Mastertech wrote:Hey Jeremy,

Well I can't answer your question directly I can tell you this: The machines are about 275Lbs and would need to be put on a pallet with edge guards. You may want to contact a shipping company such as roadway and ask them.

Ok, thanks for the suggestion Mastertech...I think I'll do just that.

Jeremy
W6JK

Post by W6JK »

I have reason to believe that there is a pallet of four on the verge of heading to Los Angeles. All it will take is firm commitments to cover the unclaimed units. Of course, they'll be more expensive when they get here. Talk to Mike at Repeater Builder.

Jeff
motouser12
New User

Post by motouser12 »

They are already here.

"Jeremy" has a cellphone number and I am awaiting his phone call.
W6WAW

Post by W6WAW »

Does anyone have contact information for the person who is bringing these units to LA? If so, please PM me.

Thanks.

Fred
W6WAW
rrfd43

Post by rrfd43 »

Anybody need some in the Rochester, NY area? Wanna see if there is interest in the western NY area for another trip.
ayaresr

Post by ayaresr »

Anyone know if any more of these units are available? I have interest in two. Also, is there contact info for the gentleman that has these, and is a group trip necessary or could I run up when I have the chance?
Thanks, Ryan
redbeard

Post by redbeard »

There are plenty left. We are going up this Friday to pick some up. The group idea is better since we will get a discount for a quantity purchased rather than single piece price. Where are you located and would you want to join our group?
ayaresr

Post by ayaresr »

I am in South Jersey...its only about a 2 hour trip for me. I would love to join the group, unfortunately I have to work Friday.
Ryan
n9wys
What radios do you own?: Too many to list! :-)

Post by n9wys »

UPDATE: I finally got mine moved to my pair today. (Yes, I'm deliberately taking my time on this!) It is now on freq and once programmed, only needed a little tweak of the RX VCO to get RX LOCK.

For some reason, it didn't want to accept a 9 minute timer setting for the ID-er, so I set it at 8 min and it liked that... Now to put the service monitor on it and start the alignment procedure. Whoo-hoo!! (I sound like an ad for WaMu, don't I?? hehehehe)
Mark - N9WYS
redbeard

Post by redbeard »

Can someone who has already made a purchase give me the exact outside LxWxH of the cabinets? I want to make some measurements about where these will fit...
w2ymm
What radios do you own?: MAXTRAC HT1250 MTX GTX etc..

Post by w2ymm »

Shawn, there 21 inches Wide
46 inches tall, and 10 inches deep.
And very heavy. About 275 pounds.
The antenna ports on the side stick out a little also.
Be careful not to crush them.
Good Luck

Bob P W2YMM
Robert Prybyzerski Jr
W2YMM
http://www.w2ymm.net
Echolink 1224 & 21808/ IRLP 4265 & 8883
Cell 631-960-1051 LI NY
n1uec
New User

Post by n1uec »

first i want to thank those of you who blazed the path on these wonderful machines.

the n1uec repeater 927.4875 has come to life. The 5mhz oscillator i am using may not be the best but it works pretty good once it has warmed up. the audio fix was right on and the programming tips were excellent.

here are my results so far, and some questions.

i am getting about 65 watts out at 927.48698 solid as a rock, however any effort to increase the output has caused me grief!

is that all i should see?.

rcv sensitivity is great and the vco's came up just fine once i found the tuning slug on the side!

i am using an msf5000 metering panel and a general msf5000 book, not specific to 900 but close enough.

there has been some discussion on the board about the id parameters in software, i found them changeable and wondered if there was something i was missing.

also deviation seems to be down a bit, any thoughts???

also, slightly off topic but i acquired some 900m maxtracs (new in the original boxes) and i can't seem to read them with the maxlab rss... any ideas on what version is required?

thanks again... IT IS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

i am getting about 65 watts out at 927.48698 solid as a rock, however any effort to increase the output has caused me grief! is that all i should see?
No, a working C85 station should give you 150 watts out. Make sure your cables and load are really good and 50 ohms.
there has been some discussion on the board about the id parameters in software, i found them changeable and wondered if there was something i was missing?
There's a bug in the software. The Auto ID Interval field will accept any value, but seems to reduce some to the next lowest 5, 10, 20, or 40 minute interval. You can enter 009 but it seems to change that to 000. All other values between 001 and 010 work fine. 11-14 get reduced to 10. 15 is fine, but not for amateur repeaters.
also deviation seems to be down a bit, any thoughts?
Yes, you need to adjust EEPot #4 for transmitter deviation, as well as the two squelch pots (#2 and #3) while you're at it. Motorola's standard squelch setting won't let anything come through that's less than 20dB quieting. Push the transmitter deviation up to 75. It's probably at zero right now. That'll get you going. Also, the repeat audio level (EEPot #5) may need to be pushed up a bit, probably over 50.
also, slightly off topic but i acquired some 900m maxtracs (new in the original boxes) and i can't seem to read them with the maxlab rss... any ideas on what version is required?
The latest version of the regular software (R07.00) will deal with them.

Bob M.
n1uec
New User

Post by n1uec »

kcbooboo wrote:
i am getting about 65 watts out at 927.48698 solid as a rock, however any effort to increase the output has caused me grief! is that all i should see?
No, a working C85 station should give you 150 watts out. Make sure your cables and load are really good and 50 ohms.

i assume we're talking the external cables... rg223 to a service monitor!

>>>LOU<<<
rrfd43

Post by rrfd43 »

I put three of mine on the test monitor last night. All three are on freq, 0.04 microvolts to open the recieve, and 110w, 100w, and 90w...
Mastertech

Post by Mastertech »

hey guys, I was playing with the MSF tonight for the first time in a while cuz Ive been away. However, I notice that when I inject a signal into the recieve port, or directly into the RF tray at the SMA it take a massive .480 milivolts to get the machine to go into transmit. My questions are this: is the recieve sensitivity adjustible anywhere and if so where. Im use to working with receivers that give me 12 db sinad at .02 microvolts, not 400+milivolts! what am I missing?
redbeard

Post by redbeard »

Well after a long trip I got three units home to Pittsburgh to play with. Left one with my buddy in the WV northern panhandle, and one with my buddy in the near vicinity in east Ohio on the river.

I have been playing with mine at home with good results. Got an original Motorola HSO installed in the tray with the proper power supply board for it. Fired it up and it locked VCOs right away. Definitely has not been de-prog'd. There's a pretty good 60Hz hum from the power supplies, but it doesn't seem to be going out the transmit signal. I need a wattmeter that will read high enough to see what this thing is putting out.

Picked up the manual as suggested earlier in the thread. It was listed as described in MOL as 800MHz but did indeed arrive saying 896 on the cover. Only problem is that it seems like it's for an analog station not a digital one. It may go back if that's the case.

There was some talk about firmware, mine has 5.52 and 5.41 in it. Sounds pretty recent. I have to dig my RSS out and check it's version to see if I need to pick up a newer copy or not.

If anyone hasn't thought of it, leave your external connection for the reference input in the cabinet. You could use it as antenna input for an aux receiver later on. I have never seen a PURC link receiver but maybe it's the same number of RU as the blank plate above the HSO tray.

I have a pile of Maxtrac handsets, so I'm going to build an adapter box to change the 6-pin to 8-pin and wire up one of those handsets until I can get a proper metering panel setup.

I'd like to configure this as a base/repeater eventually. How hard will this be? I'm guessing it's still basically a repeater, with the audio being injected in as though it was received off-air. I've never played with a tone remote, which one would be a nice basic one to start with? Will the remote board that is in these handle this configuration and will I need to remove the TTRC board?

I will be looking for some cans next. Might have to wait until Dayton since we are all scouring the used online market at the same time i'm sure. :) Anyone priced a new set anywhere yet for grins?
W6JK

Post by W6JK »

Mastertech wrote:...when I inject a signal into the recieve port, or directly into the RF tray at the SMA it take a massive .480 milivolts to get the machine to go into transmit.
Have you checked the squelch setting?

'JK
Mastertech

Post by Mastertech »

well, I finally got the recieve situation sorted out but man.... this repeater is starting to kill me. The preselector was horribly tuned and once I spent 2 hrs on it today I can key up the machine with .381 microvolts. However, yesterday evening was a real pain in the as* Out of the blue the station would not key up, after a few hours of head scratching it tunred out that the pot to adjust output power was faulty and wanted to let the station put out 180 watts, at which point the MSF said no and shut down the PA's. Well, I replaced the pot with a new part and I was all set.... but the problems continue.... these machines are rough :( Hope other guys are having a better time.
n1oty
What radios do you own?: xts3000/2500/mcs2000/mts2000

Post by n1oty »

Mastertech,

I would certainly defer to Tony (NN1D) for more specific information regarding some of the issues we are finding with our MSF5000's, but I would say that approximately 20 to 25 percent of our units have had "issues". A couple of units had problems with the controller. I believe Tony and Ken (WG1U) were able to resurrect one of those controllers by installing a new firmware chip that I picked up on my Motorola account. I can say that we have not found sensitivity problems, at least not yet, and we have tuned up and tested a few of these so far. I believe that all the receivers we've checked out and tuned so far have exhibited sensitivity of around .1 microvolts, so your unit is still exhibiting a lot less sensitivity than we are getting. BTW, between Tony, Kenny, Dave (KA1DTA) and myself, we have three of these beasts on the air and a fourth one ready to go on site. If you grabbed any extra MSF5000's, like we did, you may want to swap out the receiver and see if it improves things.

John
N1OTY
K8COP
What radios do you own?: Astro Spectra/Harris/XPR7550

MSF5000 repeaters in 900mhz

Post by K8COP »

Anyone near Michigan heading to the east coast to pick up some units? If so please contact me. I would like to pick up two units. I am located near Muskegon, MI.

Jim, K8COP
Mastertech

Post by Mastertech »

Wow John, .1 microvolt!! that thing is really hot. I don't have an extra MSF, but Im thinking of getting one at this point in order to have parts, however, Im a little crunched for space. I was happy with this unit because both PA's indicate that they were replace in 2004 and its really clean so hopefully Ill be on the air soon, but the porgress has really gotten slow... though a little more gets done every chance I have to work on it. As far as the reciever goes, I am sure Ill be able to get it hotter, I can tell there is more tunign to do. On the agenda for this week I plan to replace the IPA to DPA coax as I notice that it has some minor damage which I should address for the sake of PM. Like I said before, I feels like this thing is fighting me!!! Arghhhh....
n1oty
What radios do you own?: xts3000/2500/mcs2000/mts2000

Post by n1oty »

Having a spare MSF5000 or two is a definite advantage. I'd suggest trying to get a spare if you can. Our group wasted a lot of time on one of the units, but finally put it side for awhile and concentrated on a few others. Some of these MSF5000's are completely trouble free and tweaking those units does go relatively quickly and painlessly. Since you only have the one unit at this time, you don't have that luxury to just move on to another unit for now. We are fortunate in that our group acquired over a dozen of these puppies, so having a couple of misfit units that will probably be scavanged for parts is no big deal. Then again, two or three troublesome units may provide enough trouble free parts to make one or two more repeaters. We'll see.

John
N1OTY
rrfd43

Post by rrfd43 »

OK, got mine to the site this week and it is up and running. I still have some noise on the recieve, a little "tick, tick, tick, pause" then again. It only seems to happen with distant units. The noise was present on the system it replaced, a maxtrac/spectra repeater. Most probably some noise at the site. That should be a needel in a haystack....any ideas to filter? Seems to be mixing on the input signal and again in not just a problem with this machine, only distant units getting in to anything on this site. Using a wacom duplexer, andrews 5/8 about 25 foot, motorola antenna, and side mount about 3 foot from the tower.

I would like to ask the msf gurus a question: I plan to hook up echolink local at this machine. I have disabled the ttrc board. I was wondering what the best spot to pick up the audio out, mic, and ptt signals? Should I re-activate the ttrc and use the j2? or the connector on the top of the sscb? (I think this is the MRTI?) I know I have to activate the other source in the rss. Any other ideas?
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

I get that clicking on the two repeaters in CT as well. I callit the "clickety-clackety-clap" because it sounds like horses gallopping. Probably some kind of spread spectrum device that's changing frequencies without muting the transmitter's RF. The cheaper units just reprogram the synthesizer and let the carrier go anywhere it wants. I had some legitimate interference from a paging station that was doing that. They would send out pages on two different freqs and the transmitter switched freqs while live, so it put out several hundred watts ERP between 454.15 and 455.15 MHz every time a paging request was made.

You can get MIC audio, PTT, and RX audio from the 6-pin RJ11 jack on the front of the SSCB, although the RX audio level will be affected by the VOL knob. You can probably get those same signals on the MRTI connector as well. You didn't mention anything that resembles a COR, so I guess you don't need one.

If you've disabled the TTRC, you'll be pleasantly upset that you can't re-enable it without starting with a whole new CONV.DEF code plug and building it back up from scratch. From the "better late than never" book: you should have left the TTRC enabled and hooked up if you want to use the station with any kind of external controller.

Bob M.
rrfd43

Post by rrfd43 »

Yes it is that same sound. Others thought that was the same source, some sort of spread spectrum. Any way to keep it out? Hunt down and destroy the spread spectrum?

Well live and learn to disable it. I don't have all that much in the codeplug anyway. Just have to redo it then I guess. Is that MRTI the accessory connector on the top of the SCCB?
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

The MRTI connectors I've seen were all 14 pins in a row right next to the hinged end of the SSCB, beneath the blue flat cable that comes up from the RF tray and plugs into the socket.

I bet there's some info about it on http://www.repeater-builder.com, in the Motorola section, MSF & PURC area.

Bob M.
Doug
Batboard $upporter

Post by Doug »

From the been there done that file....You won't be happy grabbing your various connections from test points and microphone connections and cor gets to be somewhat tricky as well. I've done the three popular interfaces with external controllers and the one that uses the mrti and the ttrc board has got my vote, nice audio response and very straight forward connections.
Did I see someone mention Repeater-builders site?
May the Schwarz be with you.
rrfd43

Post by rrfd43 »

Yep, spend a lot of time on that site. Just wanted to get a feeling for the eisest way. Echolink needs at minimum line in and out, ptt. Gonna play around and see where it leaves me. Thank goodness I got a spare msf to leave at home for testing.....

Return to “Radio Programming”