Impres battery issue-premature low battery icon

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

W4KRR
What radios do you own?: XTS3000's; XTS2500's; many sca

Impres battery issue-premature low battery icon

Post by W4KRR »

I have an Impres battery charger, model WPLN4114AR, v 3.40, and two Impres batteries, model HNN9031B. I use them on my XTS3000's (two UHF, one VHF).

Issue: when I use one of the Impres batteries on my UHF XTS3000, the low battery icon will come on within a half hour of turning it on. It will continue to show, and the low battery alert will sound, at first only when I transmit, after a couple of hours it's even on receive only. Now, I can take this battery off of the UHF XTS3000, and without charging it up, put it on my VHF XTS3000, and it will power it for another 8 to 9 hours without any low battery warnings or icons. And I have two of these same Impres batteries, and they both behave the same way.

Someone suggested that the charger wasn't properly charging the battery, but if that were the case, the VHF XTS should display the same low battery icon and alert. Also, I can use a non Impress battery such as the NTN8294B (Ni-Cad), and the NTN8923A (NiMH), and there are no premature low battery issues.

What could cause this? I can only think it is a setting in the radio somewhere. AND, I recently got a second UHF XTS3000, and, when I use the Impres battery on it, it behaves the same way as the original UHF XTS3000. That is, premature low battery warning. Only when using either Impres battery, and only on the UHF models, no issue on the VHF model.
Ken, W4KRR
Grog
On Moderation

Re: Impres battery issue-premature low battery icon

Post by Grog »

W4KRR wrote:
I can only think it is a setting in the radio somewhere

That's it, give me a second and I'll try to see where it is in the CPS.

edit.....drawing a blank now, anyoen else know? :lol:
Last edited by Grog on Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xmo

Post by xmo »

Tuner
libuff

Post by libuff »

its somewhere in the radio wide options... battery warning is either normal, or early warning..
Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

All I have in radiowide options is....

Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Ken,

With three XTS radios and running Impres batteries you are a serious
candidate for the Impres LCD readout unit that's available from Escomm
for under a hundred bucks. I put one on my 4114 charger and now I know
the exact status of the Impres batteries when I charge/recondition/top off
or whatever. I highly recommend the unit, although you have to build
your own enclosure; I used a Rat Shack plastic box and stuck it to the
side of the charger.

Regards,
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
W4KRR

Post by W4KRR »

I'll have to look into that, Tom. I never heard of that item before.

I was thinking maybe the Impres batteries I have are not high enough capacity to work well with the UHF models, maybe an upgraded Impres battery might yield better results?

Meanwhile, if anyone can pinpoint the radio wide setting..... 8)
Ken, W4KRR
libuff

Post by libuff »

this is the option i was referring to, it seems to be on my 2500 tho, not sure about a 3000...

W4KRR

Post by W4KRR »

The Smart Low Battery Alert option doesn't appear in the options for the '3000.
Ken, W4KRR
mike m

Post by mike m »

Try moving over to Astro Tuner for the XTS3000's and look for battery reading calibration, this should fix it.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

I've seen this issue...what are the firmware versions of your XTS3000s? The Impres batteries were originally brought out for the XTS5000 series, and there were problems when people tried to use them with the 3000. There were two fixes...one was to upgrade the firmware in the 3000 to 7.20.00 or greater. There is a field service bulletin on this issue. The second fix was to isolate the center contact of the battery from the radio, as that is the lead which "talks" to the radio, and stray capacitance on that lead was causing the problem. Motorola actually provided a little piece of plastic which you could insert into the battery contact space, but a piece of electical tape does just as well. I'll see if I can find the FSB.

Todd

I added the service bulletin below:

Code: Select all

SERVICE AND REPAIR NOTES
Bulletin
TECHNICAL INFORMATION /COMMERCIAL, GOVERNMENT & INDUSTRIAL SOLUTIONS SECTOR
If applicable, enter this information or note this bulletin number and subject material in the appropriate equipment instruction manuals and
make necessary schematic diagram changes. Enter this bulletin in the correct MASTER and CLASSIFIED INDICES for future reference.
Labor and/or parts warranty reference is limited to products sold and in use in the United States. For products sold
and in use Internationally, this bulletin is for informational purposes only. Radios that are Agency Approved must
follow designated agency guidelines.
SRN-ISO
This SRN supersedes SRN1463 SRN - 1463A
APC - 326, 620
August 2004
Informational Only
Distribution: Service: MOL: Two Way Portable
Subject: XTS3000 PREMATURE LOW BATTERY ALERT/ DISTORTED OR NO TX AUDIO
Symptoms:
The XTS3000 units may experience premature low battery alerts and/or distorted TX audio when used with IMPRES “smart”
battery packs NNTN4435, NNTN4436, NNTN4437, HNN9031, HNN9032, and NTN9862.
Potential Problem Chargers:
All XTS3000 with firmware prior to R07.20.00 that uses the IMPRES “smart” batteries NNTN4435, NNTN4436, NNTN4437,
HNN9031, HNN9032, and NTN9862.
Cause:
This is due to stray or parasitic capacitance on the center data pin of the IMPRES battery packs. This capacitance can cause an
oscillating condition on the data pin, which can make the radio misinterpret and indecisive about what battery pack type is
connected to the radio. The radio software may revert to clamshell battery defaults, which is a higher low-battery alert
indication threshold and low-power output. Premature low-battery alert indication will be the result, even though full capacity
of the battery is available.
Also, if the parasitic oscillation frequency falls within the audio bandwidth, this may modulate the transmitted signal and will
be demodulated by the receiving unit as undesired audio noise.
Corrective Action:
Option 1 - Use of Battery Insulator kit RLN5649A. The kit includes battery contact insulators and instructions on how to
apply them to the battery center contact. Kits are available at no charge. Contact AAD @ (800)422-4210 for availability.
Option 2 - Upgrade software with enhanced Clamshell detection software (version R07.20.00 or greater). Please contact
Subscriber Support Team @ 800-927-2744 to obtain information to obtain the upgrade kit.
Informational Only. No Labor or Warranty Implied or Intended.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
W4KRR

Post by W4KRR »

Todd, this sounds like the exact issue I'm having. My firmware version is 07.09.02.00. I will try the battery contact cover thingy. Thanks for the help!
Ken, W4KRR

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”