How do I Upgrade to XP

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

firemed9
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Kenwood, Icom

How do I Upgrade to XP

Post by firemed9 »

So here is my dilemma:
I have a Dell Lattitude C610 laptop that I bought through work. It came with nothing more than the computer, a power supply and a mouse. It has windows 2000NT installed, 20gig HD, 1gig processor, and 256 ram.

First and foremost, I want to copy the hard drive so if something goes wrong, I can wipe it and dump the copy in. How do I do that?

Second, I want to up date it to Win XP. I have been told it can be done.
  • 1st - can it truely be done?
    2nd - What do I need to do it?
    3rd - If I screw up, will I still be able to wipe it clean and dump the 2000NT back up back into it?

Thank you,
Higgy
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Re: How do I Upgrade to XP

Post by nmfire10 »

Sure. Buy XP, boot from the CD, and follow the instructions. You're going to want to up it to at least 512mb of RAM. You won't be going back to 2000 unless you have a 2000 CD to do the same thing with.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

In order to back up the hard drive so that it's possible to revert back to it's present state, you need to use a program such as Norton Ghost or True Image. Unless you have a second hard drive or a separate partition in which to keep the resulting image file, it's a pain in the arse as you have to save the image across multiple CDs. Once you have the image saved in some fashion, you can revert the computer back to it's present state, even after you've loaded XP on it. There are fairly detailed tutorials on the web on how to do this with either program, so I'm not going into great detail. There are also "freeware" programs which claim to do the same, however I have no experience with them.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
firemed9
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Kenwood, Icom

Post by firemed9 »

Wavetar,
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I have another computer on the network, so to save the image somewhere other than the laptop's hard drive is not an issue.

Higgy
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

IMHO, the easiest way to back up a Windows drive now-a-days is to boot from CD into a Linux distribution (e.g. Knoppix), mount another machine on the network via Samba (using Windows file sharing on the other computer if it is a Windows machine), then copy the whole damn disk with the command

bzip2 </dev/hda >backup.bz2

(or possibly bzip2 </dev/sda >backup.bz2)

Which will give you a sector by sector image of the disk, compressed, so that it won't take up quite so much space.

When you need to restore it, you would just issue the command

bunzip2 <backup.bz2 >/dev/hda

and it is done.

In any case, you really cannot fully back up a Windows disk under Windows, due to the way Windows handles file sharing. No matter what you will be booting from some other media.

The other solution is to get a USB to IDE adapter such as this, remove the disk from the machine, and copy it that way.

Personally, I'd suggest you just buy another 2.5 inch disk for your laptop, and install XP to that, and keep the existing drive as a backup.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

CloneZilla (google it) is a good, free, Linux-based alternative to Ghost and its ilk.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Wowbagger wrote: In any case, you really cannot fully back up a Windows disk under Windows, due to the way Windows handles file sharing. No matter what you will be booting from some other media.
You can indeed fully back up while running under Windows...done it many times with True Image. Unless you mean "restore", in which case yes, you use a bootable True Image disk to run the restore process.
Wowbagger wrote: Personally, I'd suggest you just buy another 2.5 inch disk for your laptop, and install XP to that, and keep the existing drive as a backup.
Yes, if the hard drive cost is reasonable, that's a good way to go as well.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”