Frequencies "lost" in Astro CPS

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jbella

Frequencies "lost" in Astro CPS

Post by jbella »

Very bizarre..........

While looking to reprogram a UHF XTS2500, I opened CPS (latest version, can't remember) and after reading the radio, all frequency fields, tx and rx are listed as invalid. An empty red box. Opening any codeplug previously saved yields the same result. There was no change to the radio, no change to the computer.

(As for the obvious questions, I re-read 2 different radios, rebooted the computer several times, and have tried opening codeplugs with no radio attached. The only thing I haven't done yet is reload the CPS)
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Re: Frequencies "lost" in Astro CPS

Post by n7maq »

jbella wrote:Very bizarre..........

While looking to reprogram a UHF XTS2500, I opened CPS (latest version, can't remember) and after reading the radio, all frequency fields, tx and rx are listed as invalid. An empty red box. Opening any codeplug previously saved yields the same result. There was no change to the radio, no change to the computer.

(As for the obvious questions, I re-read 2 different radios, rebooted the computer several times, and have tried opening codeplugs with no radio attached. The only thing I haven't done yet is reload the CPS)
Disable the freq picklist

to get to it go to View, Options, freq options tab.

Jim
Hightower

Post by Hightower »

Had the same problem a few weeks ago. All TX and RX freqs were invalid - even when read right from a good radio.

Bottom line, I uninstalled the CPS, and reinstalled the same version.

Problem-o solved.

My guess is some Motorola DLL or API got corruted.

Good luck, and let us know what fixes your problem.
bellersley
No Longer Registered

Post by bellersley »

I had something similar happen with an Astro Spectra and CPS. When I read the radio, the frequencies showed up as HF (as in, 6.65120MHz and similar). If I didn't change anything, it would program just fine. If I did so much as dick with even one frequency, every one of them became invalid.

Uninstalling and re-installing CPS did the trick.

For a 'revenue' or mission critical outfit, I would highly suggest a stand alone CPS machine without intarweeb or anything, and use it only for CPS/RSS. Much lower chance of something screwing up.

Glad to see you got it resolved though!
jbella

Post by jbella »

n7maq wrote:Disable the freq picklist

Ding ding ding!!

We have a winner.

Thank you.

Still rather bizarre behavior isn't it?
n7maq

Post by n7maq »

jbella wrote:
n7maq wrote:Disable the freq picklist

Ding ding ding!!

We have a winner.

Thank you.

Still rather bizarre behavior isn't it?
I don't know if that is correct or not, I don't have any freqs imported into the picklist. I would guess that if one had some freqs in the picklist it would not show red.

I just know that I had the same red screens show up after I enabled the picklist. I went back, and disabled it and the red boxes went away.

Jim
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

It is a problem with an improperly registered DLL that crops up occasionally since R10. Uninstalling, rebooting, then reinstalling the software fixes the bug in all cases. Disabling the picklist? Interesting solution. It drove me crazy a while before I used a routine tracer and figured out which DLL was corrupted/missing/goofy.

IT seems that on some machines, the upgrade process from previous versions was buggy. Almost as bad as Trbo software....
n7maq

Post by n7maq »

com501 wrote:It is a problem with an improperly registered DLL that crops up occasionally since R10. Uninstalling, rebooting, then reinstalling the software fixes the bug in all cases. Disabling the picklist? Interesting solution. It drove me crazy a while before I used a routine tracer and figured out which DLL was corrupted/missing/goofy.

IT seems that on some machines, the upgrade process from previous versions was buggy. Almost as bad as Trbo software....
It does it on mine with R09.xx.xx CPS (on this machine). It does it only when I have enable the picklist. I have reloaded the CPS, that was one of the first things I tried clear it. I never use the picklist anyway so I leave it disabled.

Jim.
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

I am so glad that we are paying so much for software to be Beta testers for Motorola....

R12 seems to be pretty stable though.... (knock on wood)
n7maq

Post by n7maq »

com501 wrote:I am so glad that we are paying so much for software to be Beta testers for Motorola....

R12 seems to be pretty stable though.... (knock on wood)
Bill Gates has been have us all do beta testing for years anyway, so why not Moto. The two companies seem alike in a lot of ways.

Jim

Return to “Radio Programming”