Are Conditioning Chargers (Jedi Batteries) Worthwhile?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Leadenwah

Are Conditioning Chargers (Jedi Batteries) Worthwhile?

Post by Leadenwah »

Does anyone have practical experience with "Conditioning " Chargers?
Specifically, I am considering one for Jedi Batteries, many of which
are not very old, but seem to have some memory effect.

It seems that Motorola sells these, but I'm also interested in any
3rd party or aftermarket conditioning charger which others have
found useful.

Will appreciate any and all thoughts.
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Re: Are Conditioning Chargers (Jedi Batteries) Worthwhile?

Post by N4KVE »

I am charging a Jedi battery right now on an Advance Tec conditioning charger. I've been using these things for about 10 years. The newer models have adaptors that can be changed for different batteries. I am very happy with them & batteries can be charged anytime without any worry of memory effect. I have seen these same chargers with the Motorola name on them. I've only purchased one from the company in North Miami. Over the years I've bought 8 or 10 more at Hamfests & Ebay for $10 or less. Since they work on 12 volts with a wall wart, they can work in a car with the correct adapter. These work perfectly for nicads or nimh. Not lion. GARY N4KVE
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

In our shop we use a Cadex C7000 Analyzer & Conditioner with the Jedi adapter cups and it does work great on
some batteries but if a NiCad or NiMH battery is in bad enough condition your better off sending them to the
recycle bin. For after market jedi battery suppliers we use the Interstate RAD1840 which seems to be an ok
battery but I really do like the original moto jedi batts the best.
fineshot1
NJ USA
Will

Post by Will »

I will second N4KVE's comments on the Advance Tec chargers. I use a lot of them out here, and they work very well.
I get them from Motorola cheaper than dealer cost from A T.
Leadenwah

Post by Leadenwah »

Thanks for this helpful information..
WB6NVH

Post by WB6NVH »

There seems to be a conflict of information because the battery manufacturers want you to believe that memory effect no longer exists with modern batteries, while the conditioner manufacturers want you to think it does.

My experience has been that maybe if you use the conditioner regularly, it will work well for you. For me, by the time I notice some issues with a battery, it's already too late and nothing helps. Cutting them open reveals white powder around the vents and ends.

Too bad that modern batteries are short lived junk, partially because necessary chemicals are considered haz-mat and have been taken out of them. Back decades ago, we would get years out of a Motorola branded HT-200 battery. In fact, I was still using some 1965 dated batteries in the late 1970's! Now, I am lucky to get a year out of any of the modern radio batteries, and far less than that on the off-brands.
OCSD117
was RPDM313
What radios do you own?: XTL2500, APX3000, APX7000

Post by OCSD117 »

Three words:

SWITCH TO IMPRES
Carlwood Lipton: [real life interview with Lipton where he recites a quote from William Shakespeare] From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.
Stage 2
What radios do you own?: HT1000,MT1000, HT50,MAXTRAC

Post by Stage 2 »

I found this "ancient" topic while researching the possibility of picking up an Advance Tech conditioning charger for my Jedi batteries as they are available new for a relatively low cost.

It appears that one respondent above confirmed my suspicion that Advance Tech actually made the Conditioner that Motorola sold under it's name after seeing what appeared to be the identical item/packaging with a Motorola name listed as part of an ebay auction.

I also noted the mention of an Impress charger instead.

Under the premise of simply wanting to keep my batteries in good operating condition for occasional use, what do the in-house experts here recommend (Conditioner vs Impress) and why?

Thanks in advance to all.
RAILROADS: AMERICA'S MOST VITAL TOOL FOR ENERGY CONSERVATION.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

Stage 2 wrote:Under the premise of simply wanting to keep my batteries in good operating condition for occasional use, what do the in-house experts here recommend (Conditioner vs Impress) and why?

Thanks in advance to all.
Impress chargers do condition a battery if the analyzing results require it.
fineshot1
NJ USA
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

I still prefer to use my AdvanceTec/Motorola charger vs an Impres charger/battery. The conditioning charger pulses the battery, & you can leave the battery on charge forever even though fully charged. In my case, for my older radios where I buy cheap non Impres batteries, I use the AdvanceTec/Motorola charger. But for my APX/XTS radios, where I use Impres batteries, I use an Impres charger. I also can use my AdvanceTec chargers in my car. GARY

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”