Nextel Simulcast?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fogster
What radios do you own?: XTS2500/5000, XPR7550/5550

Nextel Simulcast?

Post by fogster »

Has anyone ever rigged something up to transmit an audio source (e.g., repeater output) as a Nextel DC call? (I'd just want it sent to one unit, not a group.)

I've been toying for a while with the idea of setting up a PC that has 'streams' of various important audio sources (multiple public safety repeater outputs, received over the air, not at the repeater site), and would, on demand, retransmit whatever it hears to a Nextel phone in my pocket. Is this something that would be easy to do? Possible to do? (This is nothing large-scale, or mission critical... Basically me trying to replace a bulky digital scanner with a Nextel. :lol: )
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Re: Nextel Simulcast?

Post by n7maq »

fogster wrote:Has anyone ever rigged something up to transmit an audio source (e.g., repeater output) as a Nextel DC call? (I'd just want it sent to one unit, not a group.)

I've been toying for a while with the idea of setting up a PC that has 'streams' of various important audio sources (multiple public safety repeater outputs, received over the air, not at the repeater site), and would, on demand, retransmit whatever it hears to a Nextel phone in my pocket. Is this something that would be easy to do? Possible to do? (This is nothing large-scale, or mission critical... Basically me trying to replace a bulky digital scanner with a Nextel. :lol: )

Some (if not all) of the interoperability repeaters will work with iDEN units. They are way more than what you need (cost $$$$), so I'm not suggesting one for your use but just ponying out that it can be done.

Jim
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

As the other Jim has mentioned, at least one company has developed a plug in card for a card cage
the has an IDEN circuit board on it. They control the funtioning of the card with a gateway system
called a RIOS. The RIOS gateway is made by Sytech Corp from Alexandria, VA. It has got the attention
of just about anyone who has seen it being used.

The Sytech gateway can be set to enter in either a phone number ,or a direct connect PTT number of
a Nextel user. You then make a patch to a radio and every time the radio channel has talking on it,
the RIOS gateway sends out the PTT signal through this card and makes the Nextel connection.
The voice from the radio channel comes out the Nextel connection.

Jim

fogster wrote:Has anyone ever rigged something up to transmit an audio source (e.g., repeater output) as a Nextel DC call? (I'd just want it sent to one unit, not a group.)

fogster

Post by fogster »

The RIOS looks quite slick! My budget was about $20, though. :lol:

A quick search turns up a page that has a (partial) pinout of a Nextel, including a pin labeled "TX," along with the audio input. I'm not a Nextel user right now, so I don't know how simple it is... Can just charging the TX pin be used to make it transmit over DirectConnect? It would always be used for DC, nothing else, so I wonder if anything else it needed.
n7maq

Post by n7maq »

You got me thinking, you can get headsets with a PTT on them. They have a fourth contact on them, it's an outside ring on the connector. You have PTT, AU in, and AU out right there..

Jim
fogster

Post by fogster »

Heh, hadn't even noticed that headset jack... Could it really be as simple as plugging into the 2.5mm jack and going from there? They don't seem to plug into the base at all.

Having never used Nextel... Would it be as simple as, on the 'base' cell phone, selecting the unit to call once, plugging in, and then just driving the PTT pin in some manner to have it automatically transmit to the unit in question? I seem to think there's some "confirmation" needed using the phone keypad, or is that just on the first call?
n7maq

Post by n7maq »

fogster wrote:Heh, hadn't even noticed that headset jack... Could it really be as simple as plugging into the 2.5mm jack and going from there? They don't seem to plug into the base at all.

Having never used Nextel... Would it be as simple as, on the 'base' cell phone, selecting the unit to call once, plugging in, and then just driving the PTT pin in some manner to have it automatically transmit to the unit in question? I seem to think there's some "confirmation" needed using the phone keypad, or is that just on the first call?
There is a setting called "one touch DC". Just assign that to the number you want called.

Jim
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

The one touch DC would do just that, but i am thinking about the issues of having your nextel hammered by scanner outputs being relentlessly pushed to your DC ID. If one of those scanners bit onto a heavy use channel, you would have to manually "square" the offending TX until your nextel cleared itself...you'd be DOS'ing your self as the unit would be almost always RXing your scanner output! And guess what, as soon as the link became clear, your unit would go into RX again as the TXer found the ability to hit it again! Hope you have free DC! I'd carry the scanner, this can be done...but it would be damn near impossible to find enough of an upside to try this. Your battery life in your nextel would be crap, every call you got would come back as user not available, and phone will almost assuredly go to voicemail, etc....

i wouldn't do it if i were me, but then again i also wouldn't carry a scanner! :-) It is a nice idea, will have to play with that headset jack on the side when i get home to my goodies.
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
fogster

Post by fogster »

thebigphish wrote:The one touch DC would do just that, but i am thinking about the issues of having your nextel hammered by scanner outputs being relentlessly pushed to your DC ID.
That's definitely a consideration. This wouldn't be hanging right off a scanner, but instead only following a bank of 'important' frequencies that didn't have constant activity. (Actually, a downright-good idea, IMHO, would be to set it to match fire tone-outs, but that's a different project...) You do raise a good point, though, in that it'd be tempting to 'add more' to the audio feeds, which would rapidly drive me crazy. (Another thing I'd thought about, actually, was a way to kick this in/out as needed, so it's only on when I want it to be, rather than squawking at 3am about a traffic stop a few towns over.)
thebigphish wrote:Hope you have free DC! ... Your battery life in your nextel would be crap, every call you got would come back as user not available, and phone will almost assuredly go to voicemail, etc....
This would be a 'dedicated' unit on an unlimited DC plan, at least for experimentation. (I'm ashamed to say the words, but Boost might actually be good for this thing, at least for testing?) It would definitely not be covering everything on the scanner, though. Although a problem I just realized is that I'd be paying double -- I need a phone interfacing to the computer, and a phone to carry... Not sure how I overlooked that one, but I guess it's that I've got a handful of old Nextels with bad screens on my desk with no purpose right now. The service might not be worth the 'luxury,' especially when it means paying for two phones.
thebigphish wrote:It is a nice idea, will have to play with that headset jack on the side when i get home to my goodies.
Heh, that's kind of why I posted it: I was surprised no one had ever tried to simulcast something over DC before! There are systems that are only used for important notifications, e.g. fire toneouts and the like, that might just benefit from this type of thing.
videonerd
What radios do you own?: Little Tikes walkie-talkie

Post by videonerd »

oh nightmares of *beep beep*

<<shudder>>
n7maq

Post by n7maq »

videonerd wrote:oh nightmares of *beep beep*

<<shudder>>
I think you may be able to disable the proceed to talk tone with the correct level of RSS (depot, or LAB).

Jim
afterimage84

Post by afterimage84 »

too much $$ but an Ni223?
Suddenly You Were Gone
/\/\y 2 cents
On Moderation
What radios do you own?: iPhone, Blackberry, HT220

Post by /\/\y 2 cents »

All,

Critical RF makes a "SiteCAST" box that will let you do this for around $300. It will also let you then talk to Nextel or th LMR system from unlimited numbers of PC's or SmartPhones included.

http://www.criitcalrf.com

Steve
fogster

Post by fogster »

The Ni233 looks cool, though I assume no price = it's way too much. The SiteCAST is nifty, though I'm still excited about n7maq's suggestion that it might be possible to just use the headset jack. I suspect it would take a little work (to essentially make the TX "COS"), but probably not $300 worth of work. But for "real" applications (e.g., not in my basement), it seems like a price-effective solution.

Now if only they'd get rid of the (multiple!) images of a guy talking into a scanner. :lol:
/\/\y 2 cents
On Moderation

Post by /\/\y 2 cents »

FYI - just as you speak of, SiteCAST uses the "headphone jack" 2.5mm TRS plug. Simply use any old in line earbud w/ ptt to make the cable. Can fax pinout with wiring diagram.

Works very will with Direct connect 1 touch setting. I Have a nextel i730 linked to VHF repeater, MotoTRBO repeater via control station, plus PC's and an iPhone 3G running Critical RF's soft radio all in one big worldwide PTT system.

Get your own at:
http://www.criticalrf.com

Steve
fogster

Post by fogster »

/\/\y 2 cents wrote:I Have a nextel i730 linked to VHF repeater, MotoTRBO repeater via control station, plus PC's and an iPhone 3G running Critical RF's soft radio all in one big worldwide PTT system.
Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my keyboard. 8) iPhone integration into the system is the icing on the cake. Radio over IP is an interesting field to watch.
/\/\y 2 cents
On Moderation

Post by /\/\y 2 cents »

I see what you are saying.

to me iPhone is just another handheld computer with embedded wifi adn EDGE radios - just executed and built better. No different than the previous windows mobile/ CE versions. Apple is actually using this SiteCAST/iWalkie system on site with MotoTRBO and iDEN and Macs, etc.

Now for some more appetite wetting: Here is what we will have talking to p25, iDEN and other legacy radios at the next show:

http://www.barcodemegastore.com/catalog ... 0-zoom.htm

I'd rather have one of those for $2K than some p25 s**tbox that sounds like garbage plus paltry data. It will also give you people tracking, credit card/POS, text message, maps for directions and inventory plus NCIC, 28's and 29's, etc.. $20 mo unlimited anywhere cellular works with GPRS or better (pretty much everywhere in the world at this stage of the game). The 2-way radio that does so much more!

http://www.criticalrf.com

Steve
n7maq

Post by n7maq »

Fogster,

Take a look at page 3 on this PDF, it may help. It's the pinout of the headset.

http://members.trainorders.com/x4449/Mo ... v%20A2.pdf

Jim
/\/\y 2 cents
On Moderation

Post by /\/\y 2 cents »

Guys,

The pinout is ON BATLABS MODEL SPECIFIC INFORMATION under "iDEN"

Steve
n7maq

Post by n7maq »

/\/\y 2 cents wrote:Guys,

The pinout is ON BATLABS MODEL SPECIFIC INFORMATION under "iDEN"

Steve
That info is not valid for the newer models. It's for the Eagles, and older. If you compare the info in the PDF I posted you will see the pinout is not the same. The info I posted is for the Falcon's (currant models).

Jim
/\/\y 2 cents
On Moderation

Post by /\/\y 2 cents »

10-4. I have been using it quite regularly and it works ok. Maybe I adpted my wiring or something.

Steve

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”