Tell me about rebanding and the Astro Saber

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mancow
Batboard $upporter

Tell me about rebanding and the Astro Saber

Post by mancow »

We are preparing to purchase a few nice used Astro Sabers for use with this system http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4390The seller mentioned that they have been flashed for rebanding. Does that jive with the specs listed below? If you go to the link above you will see that our system utilizes the channels in the high end of the band 866, 867 etc.... Am I correct that rebanding will force them to shift down a few Mhz? If so, will this radio still work?

Thanks......

The info breaks down as the following:
800 Mhz unit
N08.03.02
Secure Hardware R03.43
DES-OFB and DVP-XL (yes I said DVP)

Decoding Flashcode: 540008-000480-6

Q806 ASTRO Digital Operation
H14 Enhanced Digital ID Display
H869 Hardware Multikey Encryption
H38 SMARTZONE Systems Operation
Q173 SMARTZONE OMNILINK Multizone Operation
Q361 ASTRO 25 9600 Baud Trunking
Hightower

Re: Tell me about rebanding and the Astro Saber

Post by Hightower »

R06.xx.xx firmware is for 3600 / 9600 systems, so it should work on that system you referenced on RR. However once the TRS is rebanded, I'm not sure if R06.21.xx is rebandable firmware though.

My initial thought is no, R06.21xx is not rebanded firmware. Rebanded firmware started around R6.22.xx or R06.23.xx for the special 9600 firmware.

Someone else if gonna have to chime in here on whether your f/w is rebanded capable......
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

Thanks for the reply. Second question, any rough idea what a firmware update would cost if it someday becomes an issue?
Batwings21

Post by Batwings21 »

If its rebanding compliant firmware it will beep different when going into test mode. A firmware refresh should be $75ea plus whatever the shop charges for labor.
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

OK... any idea what to listen for?

I was told these were rebanded already but it looks like they haven't been. :x

Also... anyone know what the correct firmware revision number would be for reband as it pertains to the Astro Saber?
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

mancow wrote:OK... any idea what to listen for?

I was told these were rebanded already but it looks like they haven't been. :x

Also... anyone know what the correct firmware revision number would be for reband as it pertains to the Astro Saber?
Typically the astro portables will just give a long tone when entering test mode. The rebanded ones will sound almost like a ringing noise, not much unlike MDC preamble. All newer firmware XTS/XTL radios make the noise, with the first generation astro radios, only 800Mhz radios will make the sound (VHF, UHF give the usual tone).

As far as rebanding goes, R6.70.00 is where I believe the rebandable firmware started.... R06.71.00 is current, I don't think there's anything higher than that for Astro 25 radios. 3600baud radio would have R7.71.00

-Josh
Hightower

Post by Hightower »

When R07.70.xx was released, systems were already supposed to be in the rebanding phase. They are WAY behind with the whole rebanding thing in our sector of the country. That makes me think R07.24.xx or 7.25.xx is where rebanded firmware starts- even though it doesn't make the "preamble" style beeps.

What we need is a firmware change log from Mot.

Is there a way to verify (other than the beep) if a radio contains rebanded firmware?

In the Astro CPS, the rebanding field can not be changed. The codeplug/firmware determins whether the box is checked or un-checked. With R06.24.00, this field is already checked, signifying it contains rebanding f/w. R06.24.00 doesn't make the rebanding beeps in test mode with R06.24.00

Food for thought....
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

That's kind of what the seller was saying... that it's reband FW for sure. However, the radio doesn't make the beep tone. I never thought to check the CPS and I'll do that later this evening.

I can't stand how they muddy the waters with all this and then charge you for the FW. That's insane. Thales FW is freely downloadable from web. :x
CTAMontrose
was grem467

Post by CTAMontrose »

only 800Mhz radios will make the sound (VHF, UHF give the usual tone).

-Josh

not true, my VHF and UHF XTS2500s with FW 12.xx chirp instead of the long beep.
akardam

Post by akardam »

grem467 wrote:
only 800Mhz radios will make the sound (VHF, UHF give the usual tone).

-Josh

not true, my VHF and UHF XTS2500s with FW 12.xx chirp instead of the long beep.
I believe he's talking about the Astro line (Astro Saber, 3K), not the Astro25 line...
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Post by N4DES »

Hightower wrote:In the Astro CPS, the rebanding field can not be changed. The codeplug/firmware determins whether the box is checked or un-checked. With R06.24.00, this field is already checked, signifying it contains rebanding f/w. R06.24.00 doesn't make the rebanding beeps in test mode with R06.24.00

Food for thought....
Maybe the seller can do a screenshot of this area of the CPS and e-mail it to the OP or just send an archive of the codeplug.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”