Need a .wav recorder for XTS voice announcements

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Elroy Jetson

Need a .wav recorder for XTS voice announcements

Post by Elroy Jetson »

I do not currently have any program installed on my computer that will downcovert high quality audio formats to the 8K mono .wav format that
is needed by an XTS5000 with the voice announcement option.

If anyone could recommend a freeware program that will achieve this goal, it would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to use that feature of my XTS5000.

Elroy
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Re: Need a .wav recorder for XTS voice announcements

Post by n7maq »

Elroy Jetson wrote:I do not currently have any program installed on my computer that will downcovert high quality audio formats to the 8K mono .wav format that
is needed by an XTS5000 with the voice announcement option.

If anyone could recommend a freeware program that will achieve this goal, it would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to use that feature of my XTS5000.

Elroy
Here is what I use to create the files,

http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php

When I was making my own ring tones I would use cooledit pro to change the bitrate. They had a trial version, I think they are now part of Adobe now though.

Jim
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

I've tried that, and it's great, but the files are FAR too high quality. What do you use to downconvert them to the 8K spec required for the conversion in the radio?

As per the help in the CPS:

Wav files MUST BE less than or equal to 58 Kilobytes (in size) and saved as 8.0 kHz and 16 Bit Mono, and file names MUST BE limited to 32 characters including the .wav file extension. In 8.0 Khz and 16 Bit Mono, 58K is equivalent to a two to four second sound file.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

Elroy Jetson wrote:If anyone could recommend a freeware program that will achieve this goal, it would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to use that feature of my XTS5000.
I'd look into either Audacity or SOX:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

http://sox.sourceforge.net/

Either of them will do what you want (downsample and downmix). SOX is great from a scripting sense as it is purely a command line utility, but if the command line frightens you, Audacity is a GUI program.

Both are available under Windows as well as real operating systems.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
akardam

Post by akardam »

Elroy Jetson wrote:I do not currently have any program installed on my computer that will downcovert high quality audio formats to the 8K mono .wav format that is needed by an XTS5000 with the voice announcement option.
If you're running Windows, and since you're using CPS on your computer I'll assume for the moment that you are, then there is indeed a program installed on your computer that will downcovert high quality audio formats to the 8K mono .wav format that is needed by an XTS5000 with the voice announcement option.

It's called "Sound Recorder". In fact, if you'll read further in the same help file you referenced above:
The Help File wrote: The Channel Announcement Feature
(Glossary)

*snip*

1. Create audio/voice *.wav files:
- If you do not currently use an audio recording/editing program, be aware that every Windows operating system comes with the very basic “Sound Recorder” program that allows you to record and save a wav file. The Sound Recorder is loaded from the ‘Start’ menu’s > Accessories > Entertainment > Sound Recorder selection.

*snip*
Remember kids, the help file is your friend.
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

I'd forgotten about the built-in recorder. And it's just the thing! But I used Audacity to clip, stretch, and make level adjustments to the sound files first.

Elroy
PropellorHead
was LACityFD
What radios do you own?: XTS 5000 to Mocom

Post by PropellorHead »

I use iTunes and it works like a champ. Just change the import settings to 8khz/16bit/mono and you're good to go! Plus, it's free.
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

Noticed the date? The problem was solved 14 months ago. :)

But thanks for the suggestion.

Elroy

Return to “Radio Programming”