XTL5000 Programing Question

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

caprice96
What radios do you own?: To many to list here.

XTL5000 Programing Question

Post by caprice96 »

I know this is going to be one of those duhh questions but here it goes. How would you go about programming a Mid Power XTL5000 with a W9 control head? With a spectra you would obviously do it from the rear DB-15 but how would you go about doing it with a XTL5000?
Jim202

Re: XTL5000 Programing Question

Post by Jim202 »

You can use the DB25 connector on the front of the radio or the accessory connector on the rear.

Make up your own cables. I have chosen to use the RS-232 connections for both.

Jim

caprice96 wrote:I know this is going to be one of those duhh questions but here it goes. How would you go about programming a Mid Power XTL5000 with a W9 control head? With a spectra you would obviously do it from the rear DB-15 but how would you go about doing it with a XTL5000?
akardam

Post by akardam »

Jim202 wrote:You can use the DB25 connector on the front of the radio or the accessory connector on the rear.

Make up your own cables. I have chosen to use the RS-232 connections for both.

Jim
Nope.

If you have a mid power XTL 5000 with a W series head, your only choice is to use the HKN6155 cable, which plugs into the microphone jack (in case of a dash mount config) or the secure connector on the TIB (in case of a remote mount config).

Moto says you can use the HKN6160 (serial) or HKN6163 (USB) cables to program via the rear accy port on the low/mid power deck, but the only time I've seen one used it was being flaky - don't know if it was the cable or what.
cbus

Post by cbus »

I use the 6163b on a xtl5000 w3 and it works fine!, actually, all 3 of the same radios in the same config program/read fine

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”