Firmware

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

yardbirdjr

Firmware

Post by yardbirdjr »

Hello All!

I would like for someone to explain what firmware is and how to get it.

I have a nice MT-2000 Vhf radio and it will program great.

It will not do the 12.5 splits. Most of my area is rebanding and switching to the frequency splits.

I am going out-of town next month and tried to program one of the areas EMS channels in my radio. It took the frquencies fine, till I went to program the radio and it give me the error message the radio would not except the frequency splits. I finally had to go back and add regular frequencies in order to program the radio.

All I am wanting to do is find out more about Firmware. MOST OF ALL I AM NOT ASKING FOR IT HERE. I would like to know where to purchase it and when I purchase it how to install it.

Please PM if you can help.

Thanks

David
txshooter

Re: Firmware

Post by txshooter »

Fireware upgrades can be handled by Motorola or a Motorola Service Center. There is probably more involved than a simple firmware upgrade. (ie New RF Board capable of that split.)
Scott B.
"Never argue with seven men when you are carrying a six shooter..."
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

My post got lost in internet space. I believe an MT2000 can't have it's firmware upgraded period, for sure not in the field. An MTS2000 can. You are stuck with your radio the way it is.

Jason
akardam

Post by akardam »

Correct, a MT2000 would have to have gone back to the factory/depot for a firmware refresh. Don't think they're supporting them anymore.
lieut25

Post by lieut25 »

Are you trying to program both 12.5 and 25 freqs in your radio? Our are you trying to load it all with one our the other?

For the "A" version 2000, it'll do one or the other but not both. That said; Version "B,C or D" can be programmed for both narrow and wideband in the same radio.
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Post by Mfire39 »

lieut25 wrote:For the "A" version 2000, it'll do one or the other but not both. That said; Version "B,C or D" can be programmed for both narrow and wideband in the same radio.
I think you're thinking of an HT1000... The "MT" 2000 never came in a B, C, or D revision..

It's all firmware dependant.. I think R02.13 or so (give or take) was the last release for the MT..

-Marc
Last edited by Mfire39 on Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
lieut25

Post by lieut25 »

You know what your right. My sorce told me it was for the MT2000. Ill double check with them again.

Thanks
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Post by kc7gr »

yardbirdjr wrote:Hello All!

I would like for someone to explain what firmware is and how to get it.
(snippage)

Firmware usually refers to the operating code for a microcontroller or microprocessor. It is usually programmed into a non-volatile memory chip, such as an EPROM, EEPROM or FLASH device.

Whoever manufactures the device containing said microcontroller or microprocessor is usually the only source for updates, since such operating code is considered proprietary, intellectual property, etc.
yardbirdjr wrote:I have a nice MT-2000 Vhf radio and it will program great.

It will not do the 12.5 splits. Most of my area is rebanding and switching to the frequency splits.
Unfortunately, and as others have pointed out, this is a major undertaking for the early MT2000's. Honestly, I'm not even certain its possible. The first 'Jedi' series portables I know of that support 12.5kHz splits are the MTS2000 series.

While the RF boards are, as far as I know, identical between models, the controllers are not. The only way I see that you could convert your existing MT2000 to do as you describe would be to "upgrade" it to an MTS2000 by replacing the controller. This would likely cost considerably more than just purchasing a used MTS2000, complete.

I will, of course, welcome corrections from Jedi experts if I misstated something.

Happy tweaking.
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”