Recommendations for laptop with RS232 port?

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Andy Brinkley
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: FMR80D and a Motrac with Scan

Recommendations for laptop with RS232 port?

Post by Andy Brinkley »

Time to break down and buy a new / used or refurbished programming laptop.

Anyone have some real world experience with the newer laptops when used for programming?

So far my requirements are:
1.0+ GB of RAM
60+ GB HDD
XP operating system
Internal wireless networking
true RS-232 port (a must)

Any other suggestions as far as things to look for or which laptops are better performers?

Thanks
Andy / NC4AB
txshooter

Re: Recommendations for laptop with RS232 port?

Post by txshooter »

Panasonic Toughbook CF-29. Virtually indestructable....available at a reasonable price these days.

Negative, they weigh a ton, but the durability really makes up for it. Mine has even proved itself to be toddler proof!
Scott B.
"Never argue with seven men when you are carrying a six shooter..."
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

what radios do you want to program? or what rss/cps do you intend to use on it? for wireless you will need at least a 400mhz processor
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
Andy Brinkley
Batboard $upporter

Post by Andy Brinkley »

I'm looking to upgrade from a Toshiba 520CDT (266 mhz with 160 meg of RAM) that is running Windows 2K and MS Office plus the normal programming software.

The Toshiba has been a very stable machine (it also does wireless via a linksys card with no problem) but it's time to upgrade and use the Toshiba as a backup.
Andy / NC4AB
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

We've had good luck with the various Compaq/HP models over the last 3 years or so...if you look around they can come with serial ports, along with everything else you mention. I love my latest with the Core 2 Duo processor...even MotoTRBO CPS starts up fairly quickly with that! Loaded it up with both a DOS & XP partition and it's the bomb. Even the models without serial ports can acquire one by using a docking station, if the bulk of your programming is in the shop. Otherwise the DELL Latitude 500/600 series was real work horse for us for several years too.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Andy Brinkley
Batboard $upporter

Post by Andy Brinkley »

Wavetar -

Which HP are you using?

I am seriuosly looking at the NC6220 / NC6230 / NC8230 series, specs and pricing look good for refurbished units.
Andy / NC4AB
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

You can also add real serial ports (UARTs and all) using one of the Socket PC cards. Not quite as clean as having a real serial port built in, but it widens your selection of computers significantly.

If you don't go Toughbook, I'd suggest a long look at the Thinkpad line. I have a pair of T60Ps, one for personal use, one for work, and I've been extremely impressed. A friend suggested I look at them after years of Dells and Toshibas, and I'm definitely a convert.
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

We use IBM T23's and T30's at work. They work great for 99% of what we need. We use dual boot, run DOS, and XP Pro.

We purchase them from a loacal vendor, but they sell a lot online at http://budcom.com/ and on Ebay.

Jim
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Andy Brinkley wrote:Wavetar -

Which HP are you using?

I am seriuosly looking at the NC6220 / NC6230 / NC8230 series, specs and pricing look good for refurbished units.
We have several of the NC6220 that we got as refurbs as well. No issues other than some of the batteries weren't quite 100%, but still quite good.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
stevejpage
New User

Post by stevejpage »

Information only, the Dell Latitude E5500 is (by Dell's account) the last of their laptops that will have a real 9-pin serial port. I just got mine, and so far it works flawlessly for everything I have asked it to do, which includes running MTSX 6.06 and talking to the Jedi portables. I will give it a shot with an Analog Saber and see how it likes it.

Return to “Radio Programming”