MCS2000 - Key Fail

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

vb105
What radios do you own?: TK5720,NX5000,PM1500,FTM400

MCS2000 - Key Fail

Post by vb105 »

Hey folks. Well I finally got my MCS2000 (M01JLM9PW6AN) from my eBay seller today. I hooked everything up in my truck and "seems" to work well. I have yet to program it. I did notice though when powering on the radio, after the self check is complete it gives and error message stating "Key Fail". I've read a few posts regarding the MTS2000 stating that it's an issue with the encryption key/board. Does this hold true with the MCS2000? Anything I should look at when I program this rig? I'm crossing my fingers hoping this is not a hardware issue.

Secondly, I see a few horror topics about people not saving their S-Record. Am I correct in saying that this can be achieved by going into the tuner and saving your values?

Thanks in advance for the help guys... this is an awesome forum!

Paul
txshooter

Re: MCS2000 - Key Fail

Post by txshooter »

Your key fail message means that you radio has a encryption board installed and there is no key loaded in the radio. If you are not using encryption you can simply disable it in the programming and you will not see this message. If you are (which I suspect you are not) you need to load a key into the radio using a keyloader.

Saving a S Record is more than saving the tuning values. You must a copy of LAB software to read the radio without unpacking the data and then save it.
Scott B.
"Never argue with seven men when you are carrying a six shooter..."
vb105

Post by vb105 »

Thanks for the quick post! As far as the Lab software is concerned, I don't have it. I'm guessing it's DOS based right? Thanks again!
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

txshooter wrote:Your key fail message means that your radio has a encryption board installed and there is no key loaded in the radio. If you are not using encryption you can simply disable it in the programming and you will not see this message.
or - the person who previously owned this radio removed the enryption board before selling the radio. If this is the case the only way to disable the enc board is to install one first, then disable it in the software. The MCS/MTS software is pretty finicky about things like that. If you do not use enc it will not hurt anything to just ignore the annoying keyfail as it will not hinder the radios performance.
fineshot1
NJ USA
txshooter

Post by txshooter »

fineshot1 wrote:
txshooter wrote:Your key fail message means that your radio has a encryption board installed and there is no key loaded in the radio. If you are not using encryption you can simply disable it in the programming and you will not see this message.
or - the person who previously owned this radio removed the enryption board before selling the radio. If this is the case the only way to disable the enc board is to install one first, then disable it in the software. The MCS/MTS software is pretty finicky about things like that. If you do not use enc it will not hurt anything to just ignore the annoying keyfail as it will not hinder the radios performance.
If I am not mistaken if encryption is enabled and there is no board installed the radio will show an error code, not just key fail. I believe it only shows keyfail with a board installed and no key loaded.
Scott B.
"Never argue with seven men when you are carrying a six shooter..."
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

txshooter wrote:
fineshot1 wrote:
If I am not mistaken if encryption is enabled and there is no board installed the radio will show an error code, not just key fail. I believe it only shows keyfail with a board installed and no key loaded.
You could be correct - its been awhile since I had to deal with this problem.
fineshot1
NJ USA
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

He is correct. Fail 09/10 would show if there were no encryption board in the radio, but was enabled in the codeplug.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
vb105

Post by vb105 »

wavetar wrote:He is correct. Fail 09/10 would show if there were no encryption board in the radio, but was enabled in the codeplug.
You guys are right on top of things. I'll be hooking it up to the laptop tomorrow night... we shall find out. Thanks guys!

Return to “Radio Programming”