Astro Saber M3 Programming Issue

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

alex4659
New User
What radios do you own?: XTS5k M2 & Spectra Hi PWR

Astro Saber M3 Programming Issue

Post by alex4659 »

hi everybody,

I just got my Astro Saber & XTS 3K CPS R05.02.00 and cant get it to read my radio... it just says, "Communication with radio failed"

I have an Astro Saber M3 with aftermarket accessories including,
a Saber programming cable converted to an Astro Saber cable and also an after market rib box

I checked the connections to see if that was the problem and also tried different com ports.

But nothing seems to solve the problem...

any suggestions, comments or advice will be gladly excepted.

thanks,
Alex
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
txshooter

Re: Astro Saber M3 Programming Issue

Post by txshooter »

Are you using a real com port?

Are you sure the converted cable is working properly? Have you tried this with any other Astro Saber? Have you previously used this aftermarket rib sucessfully with another cable and radio. There are a lot of different variables at play in this situation. You really just need to start trying to rule them out one by one.

Do you know anyone in your area with a good working setup to program Astro Sabers? Try your radio with their setup and see what happens. There is always the possibility that the radio is not seated exactlly right in the housing.

Like I said there are many different reason this could be happening, you just need to start ruling them out.

BTW, nice job on posting the particulars of your setup. It gives us a good idea on where to make suggestions.
Scott B.
"Never argue with seven men when you are carrying a six shooter..."
alex4659
New User

Post by alex4659 »

txshooter wrote:Are you using a real com port?
i think i am but to be sure, what do you mean by a real com port?
txshooter wrote:Are you sure the converted cable is working properly?
Yes, i looked up the diagrams of the pin outs
txshooter wrote:Have you tried this with any other Astro Saber?
No, this is my first and only astro saber.
txshooter wrote:Have you previously used this aftermarket rib sucessfully with another cable and radio.
lets put it this way... i was able to read this radio with this rib and cable with Motorola RSS version R09.03.00 and only to find out that the code plug is too new; so i know it works... and i correctly soldered the pin outs right.
txshooter wrote:There are a lot of different variables at play in this situation. You really just need to start trying to rule them out one by one.
txshooter wrote:Do you know anyone in your area with a good working setup to program Astro Sabers?
Nope but if there is anyone in or near alpharetta Georgia... please reply or P.M. me
txshooter wrote:Try your radio with their setup and see what happens. There is always the possibility that the radio is not seated exactlly right in the housing.

Like I said there are many different reason this could be happening, you just need to start ruling them out.

BTW, nice job on posting the particulars of your setup. It gives us a good idea on where to make suggestions.
thanks for the quick reply,
Alex
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hightower

Post by Hightower »

When all else fails, replace the 9V
alex4659
New User

Post by alex4659 »

Hightower wrote:When all else fails, replace the 9V
I'm not using a 9V battery... I am simply using a 12V AC power source; the wall outlet; in fact, I've never tried that

and i have tried different wall outlets and that doesn't seems to be the problem

so thats ruled out

thanks,
Alex
alex4659
New User

Post by alex4659 »

if i dont restart my computer when im done installing the software when it asks me to, will this prevent me from reading the radio?

In other words is this why i cant read my AS3?

thanks,
Alex
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Going simple here but have you made sure the correct port is selected for reading the radio within the cps, sounds like you may have but just want to double check.

My guess is the rib or cable is not setup/wired correctly.

Jason
alex4659
New User

Post by alex4659 »

KB9KST wrote:Going simple here but have you made sure the correct port is selected for reading the radio within the cps, sounds like you may have but just want to double check.

My guess is the rib or cable is not setup/wired correctly.

Jason

Ok, first off thanks for the advice, and yes i actually triple checked

second, what is the proper cable setup for the astro saber? its pin 6 right?

here is a link to the diagram from the rib to ASTRO SABER:
http://www.batlabs.com/images/astrosab.gif

if this diagram is wrong for my cps, let me know please

thanks,
Alex
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Use a continuity tester to check the proper build of the cable. Remember that the view of the radio end is shown as if your were looking at the back of it while it is attached to the radio.

Jason
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

The problem may be simple, use a rubber eraser to clean the programming cable pins as well as the accy. port pins on the back of the radio.

Simple oxide buildup is rarely seen, but it's there, and making the contacts clean and shiny will remove all doubt.

It's worth a try, especially when there's no loss in the effort.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

One other possibility might be caused by the pins not making good electrical contact with the port connector.

Proper seating is essential.

Just another penny's worth of advice.
alex4659
New User

Post by alex4659 »

AEC wrote:The problem may be simple, use a rubber eraser to clean the programming cable pins as well as the accy. port pins on the back of the radio.

Simple oxide buildup is rarely seen, but it's there, and making the contacts clean and shiny will remove all doubt.

It's worth a try, especially when there's no loss in the effort.

thanks

i already found my problem and it was that the wire came loose from the pin and detached itself from the connector... nothing a little solder cant do.

one more thing... what do the reading glasses mean in the CPS... like when i drag my curser over a check box the arrow turns into a set of reading glasses.

or where can i find a website that i can locate the name and reason of every icon from CPS Version R05.02.xx

thanks and this thread can be closed if necessary.

thank goes to everyone who replied and for those who viewed this thread
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

The sunglasses' appearance means that the function you've hit with the cursor is not available under your radio's system and/or flashcode.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Post by Mfire39 »

The sunglasses also means it's a "read only" field..

-Marc
Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
ctencore
New User

Post by ctencore »

I saw this thread was kind of in line with a problem I'm exploring. I'm trying to change the trunking system setup (frequencies and adding additional systems) but everything is read only. I don't have the green + icon or red x icon to modify trunking frequencies. I can't even see how to add another trunking system. Any ideas?
Mfire39

Post by Mfire39 »

ctencore wrote:I saw this thread was kind of in line with a problem I'm exploring. I'm trying to change the trunking system setup (frequencies and adding additional systems) but everything is read only. I don't have the green + icon or red x icon to modify trunking frequencies. I can't even see how to add another trunking system. Any ideas?

Thats because it requires a system key for the trunking system you are trying to setup... Contact your system admin for more details on that.

-Marc

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

ctencore
New User

Post by ctencore »

I bought this radio on ebay, I'm just trying to get the existing system out of there so I can add ours.
Mfire39

Post by Mfire39 »

ctencore wrote:I bought this radio on ebay, I'm just trying to get the existing system out of there so I can add ours.
Well, if your organization is on a trunking system, then contact your system admin for the system you are trying to program in the radio. If the radio is legit, capable of operating on your system, and you are an authorized user on the system, then I'm sure the system admin will have no problem loading the correct system key and getting you set up on the system with your radio.

-Marc

ctencore
New User

Post by ctencore »

Thanks, we got it all dialed in today. I thought it was something I could do without bothering them.....

Return to “Radio Programming”