Narrow channel works better in wide than it does in narrow?

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Narrow channel works better in wide than it does in narrow?

Post by nmfire10 »

Conventional UHF astro channel. It is narrowband (460.2875). I live in a pretty bad spot so the signal that reaches me is weak. If I accidentally program my portable for wideband, it receives GREAT. The audio doesn't get choppy or anything. If I program it correctly for narrowband, the audio gets choppy and cuts out due to the weak signal.

I would think it would be the other way around? Am tripping on something here? This is demonstrated with two different radios (XTS1500 and XTS3000).
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Re: Narrow channel works better in wide than it does in narrow?

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Sure sounds to me as if the signal is being sent wideband, regardless of the frequency being on a 12.5 kHz split.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

Heh. Ya know, given the history of this system, which I believe you're probably familiar with due to all the problems I keep posting here about, I seriously would not be surprised if they screwed that up too. Unfortunately I don't have a cable for a Quantar to read it so I can only assume they did it right.... which would be a first for this thing.

Next time I get my hands on a service monitor, I'll park under the tower and see what is expelling fourth from its transmitter.
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

d119

Post by d119 »

Just because it's on a splinter channel does not mean that it is narrowband, Marc.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

Oh I know the background of this system and it is supposed to be narrow. It is also licensed as narrow. In fact, the police chief claims "astro works better on narrowband" (direct quote). I don't know why it would make a difference and based on this experience, I think he might be mistaken :)
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

I would say something is programmed wrong.

There is an Astro ham repeater here in narrow-band mode. I had my astro spectra programmed wide-band and couldn't RX worth a darn at a distance, it would get easily desensed by other nearby signals and repeaters. I made it narrow band as it should have been and RX cleared up and was way more selective. RX range significantly improved too.

Narrow band can work better than mis-programmed radios set up conversely!
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

In a given radio, selectivity, intermodulation & spurious rejection are all spec'd worse in narrowband than wideband, usually by at least 5 db, sometimes 10. Also, although I cannot find it listed separately in an Astro manual, sensitivity in a given radio was generally worse by 0.05 uV. So, it doesn't surprise me that a radio may work better with a weak signal in wide band mode as opposed to narrow.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”