AS3 needs a flashcode uplift...

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

AS3 needs a flashcode uplift...

Post by 007 »

I have a VHF AS3 that has a conventional-only P25 flash, which I would like to get a beefed-up flashcode for to include P25 trunking for an upcoming system change. I frankly don't know much about trunking other than old Type II stuff, so I don't know what the correct nomenclature is for that I need.

I need this radio (or a replacement) to work on what's being described to me as a "P25 trunked system" where any vendor's P25 trunking radio will work on the system. This is not a proprietary system in the sense that only one vendor's radios will work with it, as there will be several types of P25 radios on this system from Kenwood, Motorola, EFJ etc.

Can I send my AS3 to the depot for this, or am I better off getting something newer? I would like to keep my AS3 as it's already here and has the ENC module in it that I need.

Also, what the proper name for this trunking format and where can I do some reading about it? I'm living in conventional VHF heaven, so this P25 trunking business is all new to me. I'm assuming this is some type of CAI 9600 baud trunking, since any properly-equipped radio can be used on the system?

Thoughts? Also, hold the "contact teh sysadmin" comments...this would be a legit radio and sysadmin is the one helping me out.

[flame suit on]
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
akardam

Re: AS3 needs a flashcode uplift...

Post by akardam »

007 wrote:I have a VHF AS3 that has a conventional-only P25 flash, which I would like to get a beefed-up flashcode for to include P25 trunking for an upcoming system change...
Full stop there. The Astro line of radios won't do 9600 trunking on anything other than 800mhz.

Post by 007 »

Well, that takes care of that problem. @!#$#@

XTS3k? XTS2.5k?

I'm a n00b with this business...I have a lot to learn.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

007 wrote:Well, that takes care of that problem. @!#$#@

XTS3k? XTS2.5k?

No XTS3K. Needs to be the ASTRO 25 platform (1500/2500/5000) for OBT P25 trunking, plus the proper flashcode bits of course...

Post by 007 »

tvsjr wrote:
007 wrote:Well, that takes care of that problem. @!#$#@

XTS3k? XTS2.5k?

No XTS3K. Needs to be the ASTRO 25 platform (1500/2500/5000) for OBT P25 trunking, plus the proper flashcode bits of course...
Gotcha...so the matching mobile needs to be an XTL1500/2500/5000 then, right?

I won't need that Astro Spectra :)
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Well, with most radios, yes, you'll need an XTL mobile.

However, my radio is the special Cowthief edition. I'll have to remove the Fascinator board before I can send it to you, but it'll do P25 trunking no problem. It's also tri band - VHF, UHF, and 6 meters. FPP too. 8)
CTAMontrose
was grem467

Post by CTAMontrose »

tvsjr wrote:Well, with most radios, yes, you'll need an XTL mobile.

However, my radio is the special Cowthief edition. I'll have to remove the Fascinator board before I can send it to you, but it'll do P25 trunking no problem. It's also tri band - VHF, UHF, and 6 meters. FPP too. 8)

Hello.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”