Astro spectra with VIP mic?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Mraudio
What radios do you own?: Quantar/AS/A-spec./VertexP25

Astro spectra with VIP mic?

Post by Mraudio »

Id like to remote the head and mic on my Astro spectra using a Maxtrac mic If I can(rj45 plug). Anyone had any luck using a mic in this fasion on an Astro Spectra?
Thanks
akardam

Re: Astro spectra with VIP mic?

Post by akardam »

Why don't you just plug your standard Spectra-style microphone into the front or rear of the remoted control head?
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Is there a special application that you are trying to do?

The ASTRO Spectra (and reg spectra) can work in both remote or dash mount configurations. All you would need is the correct "Extras" (interface board for the radio, head and the control cable). The details are under the model section of www.batlabs.com

The remote spectra head supports the spectra mic to be plugged into the front or rear of the control head, depeding on how you mount the head (in a console or under the dash etc). Exception would be the W9 or A9 head were the mic only plugs into the rear of the control head.

What the remote parts look like:
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
Mraudio

Post by Mraudio »

Hi Guys, sorry for the long delay...Yes I am very familliar with the "correct" way to remote...however I was trying to avoid the mic haning off the dash. I wanted to have the face plate on the dash and the mic out from under the seat. Guess I should have been more specific before. I thought that the RJ45 style mic would be the easiest to use since you can run a cat 5 cable for it if you need to.
Will

Post by Will »

Maxtrac, Radius, and Gm300, mics will work on the Spectra they are electronically the same. The connector IS different as you noted.
Mraudio

Post by Mraudio »

Just dont have the pinout of the rear VIP to know if one could be wored in there. Additionally dose the Mic line have B+ for the electret or can it only be driven with a dynamic ect. Just would like to mount the radio under the seat and have the mic come from under the seat while the controll head mounts in the dash.
Will

Post by Will »

Mraudio, Does your Spectra have two DB25 connectors on the radio drawer? Is it a Hi or Low power?
Mraudio

Post by Mraudio »

Well I have one of each radio adaptor for remote mount. One with the keyload port and one with both DB25s...I think I know where your going with this. I didnt think of that...
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Keep in mind that the remote mount front panel on the radio that has the 2 DB25 connectors has
one slight flaw. There is no PTT wired to the right hand connector. You will have to add a wire to
bring over the PTT line to the right hand side connector. The left DB25 connector is the one that
normally has the remote control cable connected to it.

Jim

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”