RX Audio Expansion

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

W2MB

RX Audio Expansion

Post by W2MB »

Looking for input on programming the receive-audio expansion type for my HT1550XLS. The options are Disabled, Full, AGC mode, and Low Level Expansion. It looks like Full is used for "companding mode" on a Motorola only system. I use the radio in a mixed system environment. Any advice would be appreciated.
wavetar
Administrator

Re: RX Audio Expansion

Post by wavetar »

Yes, 'full' would only be used on narrow-band channels, and all radios in the fleet would need to be using it in order for things to sound good.

The default used to be 'low level expansion', which seems to work well most of the time. I believe the default changed at some point to 'none'. I really don't hear any difference most of the time, other than it tends to sound better on 'none' when talking to older models like HT1000.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Re: RX Audio Expansion

Post by nmfire10 »

FULL is for using companding and can be used on wideband or narrowband. Companding must be a systemwide deployment. Activating it on one radio will only make things worse.

I've never noticed much of a difference between none and low level other than a slight boost in some audio sometimes.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”