Spectra programming

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

racerman1cars

Spectra programming

Post by racerman1cars »

Hey All, I know this has probablly been covered but a quick search didn't yeild an answer, so here goes. I picked up a T84 Spectra at Dayton, I tried to program it and got error 81, can not access the Ext security housing. Am I screwed? what if I pull the MLM board out of my working D44 and put it in the 110 watt radio? Thanks in advance..
Steve
Steve Humphreys
KG4JNQ
Rick Rock

Re: Spectra programming

Post by Rick Rock »

The Batlounge admin
http://www.batlounge.us
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Post by kc7gr »

The short answer is that you need to have the external security module plugged in, at least long enough to read the codeplug. Once you've read it, you can go in and disable the encryption option and reprogram. You will then have no more errors about the external housing.

Let me add that the chances are pretty good your T84 is a government low-split (range 1, 403-438MHz). If that's the case, the chances of getting it to cooperate on 440 amateur are pretty slim. It would probably do better as a link radio in the 420 range.

Also -- Check your PM's.

Happy tweaking.
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."
wa6jbd

Post by wa6jbd »

kc7gr wrote:Let me add that the chances are pretty good your T84 is a government low-split (range 1, 403-438MHz). If that's the case, the chances of getting it to cooperate on 440 amateur are pretty slim. It would probably do better as a link radio in the 420 range.
This is not as big a problem as we used to think it was. I have converted a number of range 1 radios to 440-450 operation, and have come to prefer them over the range 3 radios. They're actually easier to retune.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

If you have had such luck in converting the low split to something else, how about sharing how you did it.

Jim

wa6jbd wrote:
kc7gr wrote:Let me add that the chances are pretty good your T84 is a government low-split (range 1, 403-438MHz). If that's the case, the chances of getting it to cooperate on 440 amateur are pretty slim. It would probably do better as a link radio in the 420 range.
This is not as big a problem as we used to think it was. I have converted a number of range 1 radios to 440-450 operation, and have come to prefer them over the range 3 radios. They're actually easier to retune.
wa6jbd

Post by wa6jbd »

Jim202 wrote:If you have had such luck in converting the low split to something else, how about sharing how you did it.

Jim
I already have: http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.p ... 13#p360111
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Thanks for the update and the link.

Now to find some time to play with it.

Jim

wa6jbd wrote:
Jim202 wrote:If you have had such luck in converting the low split to something else, how about sharing how you did it.

Jim
I already have: http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.p ... 13#p360111

Return to “Radio Programming”