need help on part number of Motorola item

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jrm5265
Batboard $upporter

need help on part number of Motorola item

Post by jrm5265 »

I have several new black telephone type handsets , they handsets are black, high quality and have rectangular PTT button in handle part. The phone has a large two pronged plug at the end of about a 5' heavy duty curly cord, the two pronged plug reminds me of the old headset plug in on our radio consoles at Police Dept, back in 80s. This phone has that kind of large 2 ponged plug in. There is no part# on the handset
but on the box there is a part# 51112027

any help would be appreciated, if anybody recognizes that part # I have about 30 new in box and I would like to try an establish something about them so I can try and find a buyer. I tried Telex, AudioSears and some other mfgrs of these type handsets,the source is a huge Motorola user/customer so I am hoping ti could be a Motorola part#

Thanks in advance

Joe
eastmetrocomm@aol.com
Will

Re: need help on part number of Motorola item

Post by Will »

Joe,

Check what kind of mic element is in them.
The dual 1/4" plugs reminds me of switchboard or Motorola console connector.
jrm5265
Batboard $upporter

Post by jrm5265 »

I looked in at rx an tx elements didnt see Moto and didnt see anything name wise......the quality appears good enough to be Motorola but I just dont see a part# ON IT
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Post by kc7gr »

These are either carbon element or amplified dynamic (more likely the latter), which means the mic side will need a DC bias voltage to operate. The plug is called a 310 type, and is very common in telephone work (it has been around since the 1940's at least). It was co-opted for radio communications by various manufacturers.

Usually, the two tip contacts are the mic circuit, the middle rings are the PTT switch, and the sleeves are the receiver element. Keep in mind this is NOT always the Way of Things, but it does seem to be the most common arrangement. You should do some tracing with a multimeter to be sure.

Happy tweaking.
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”