Spectra MLM Compatability

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ssybert

Spectra MLM Compatability

Post by ssybert »

Does anyone know if a used MLM is universal across any spectra radio? I have a 900 mhz D37 with a bad MLM. I found a used UHF MLM I want to replace it with. will this work if I push in a codeplug with lab?

Thanks,
Sott
Will

Re: Spectra MLM Compatability

Post by Will »

ssybert wrote:Does anyone know if a used MLM is universal across any spectra radio? I have a 900 mhz D37 with a bad MLM. I found a used UHF MLM I want to replace it with. will this work if I push in a codeplug with lab?

Thanks,
Sott
No, the MLM is not universal across the Spectra line.

Not recommended as it may not work and the UHF MLM could become bad.
ssybert

Post by ssybert »

Thanks Will.

Trying to find a good used 900 MLM will be like trying to find a white rhino. :(

Regards,
Scott
Will

Post by Will »

Scott,

I may have a 900 MLM here. What version are you needing? Trunking?
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Post by kc7gr »

The Spectra MLM's can be reworked to be compatible with whatever radio you want to put them in, but doing so requires surface-mount rework equipment, a device (EPROM) programmer, and lots of patience with a hex editor. I have been successful in re-adapting a couple of MLMs to date.

If you cannot find a replacement, drop me a PM. I may be able to help.

Happy tweaking.
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

That's funny I've been using 900 Spectra MLM's in my UHF radios for years. You do need to bitbang them though.
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Post by kc7gr »

This is true, and it can work. What I was referring to was physically removing the EEPROM from the MLM, sticking it in a separate programmer, loading it with a "blank" codeplug image that has been bit-banged for the specific radio in question (as in MOFLAGS, serial number, etc.), and then reattaching it to the MLM and reinitializing the radio.

Granted, this is pretty involved. However, I have run into a couple of radios that were so badly bit-banged by previous owners that the only way to save them was to do surgery on the MLM. I'm happy to say I've had great success.

Happy tweaking.
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”