Windows 7 with Astro 25

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Windows 7 with Astro 25

Post by com501 »

OK, I amy be a new innovator, but Windows 7 is right around the corner.

Loaded up Windows 7 RC Build 7100, and then installed Astro 25 mobile and portable.

The SERIAL cable features work just fine, but no USB in the drop down. Anyone else experimenting with Windows 7 yet?

I will try APX tonight.
MSS-Dave
What radios do you own?: XTL5K, NX300, PD782, Spark Gap

Re: Windows 7 with Astro 25

Post by MSS-Dave »

My IE version is 7.0.5730 and my USB works great on portable and both mobile cables with CPS 12.01.00. I think there is an updated USB driver on MOL but it seems to be down right at the moment.....

Dave

EDIT<<<<< Well DUH. Keyboard in gear before brain. Windoze Version 5.1 SP3. Never mind...... :lol:
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

MSS-Dave wrote:My IE version is 7.0.5730 and my USB works great on portable and both mobile cables with CPS 12.01.00. I think there is an updated USB driver on MOL but it seems to be down right at the moment.....

Dave
Dave,

Your IE version has no bearing on what operating system that you are using. I would tend to think that if you ran Windows 7 in full xp compatibility mode (which requires 4gb of ram) you will probably be OK with running CPS.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
rc50won
What radios do you own?: Don't ask my wife.

Post by rc50won »

There is one major issue with W7 that effects drivers. XP Pro and Vista allow you to install a driver even though it is not digitally signed by Microsoft. You get a warning window but you can still install. W7 will not install a driver unless it is signed. W7 gives you no override options that I know of.

I would guess that this might effect the Motorola drivers.

Marshall
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

Or drivers from most other any vendor. Not everyone wants to pay Microsoft for licensing fees to 'sign' their driver. The fees are enormous.

I will investigate in the Developer's Corner, since this is a significant issue for a LOT of people, not just radio fanatics.
Terry_Glover

Post by Terry_Glover »

rc50won wrote:There is one major issue with W7 that effects drivers. XP Pro and Vista allow you to install a driver even though it is not digitally signed by Microsoft. You get a warning window but you can still install. W7 will not install a driver unless it is signed. W7 gives you no override options that I know of.

I would guess that this might effect the Motorola drivers.

Marshall
I believe that just effects the BETA version of Windows7, No?

The OEM and retail versions of Windows7 should allow for installation of unsigned drivers, like XP and Vista does, if I'm not mistaken.
Terry
rc50won
What radios do you own?: Don't ask my wife.

Post by rc50won »

Well I hope so but that is not what I have read in a couple of the W7 forums.
khw
What radios do you own?: Quantars, Quantros, APX, XTS..

Post by khw »

I believe the way Windows Vista and 7 handle driver signature is configurable as a Group Policy object. Windows Vista by default is set to prompt the user to continue and it seems to me that I read in Windows 7 Release Candidate documentation that the new default would be to disallow the driver.
Kevin

Return to “Radio Programming”