Maxtrac 100 Data Radio

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Kirk Higgins

Maxtrac 100 Data Radio

Post by Kirk Higgins »

I just received a 25 watt two channel Maxtrac VHF mobile radio which I purchased from a board member. It is fantastic shape, but has one quirk. I believe this was utilized for transmitting data as the power switch on the faceplate seems to be bypassed and the radio is powered on 24/7. The volume switch works as normal. Does anyone know how to return the power switch to normal operation? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Kirk - KD5HNV
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Re: Maxtrac 100 Data Radio

Post by kc7gr »

Should be easy enough. Just open the radio up and see if there's a jumper across the power switch portion of the volume control. If so, remove it.
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."
Kirk Higgins

Post by Kirk Higgins »

Great suggestion! I could only find one jumper on the circuit board and switching/removing it did not affect the constant power on status. However, I also noticed the drop of solder across two of the pins on the multipin connector for the faceplate. Thirty seconds of work with a nail file and the problem is solved. Hopefully, this will also help all of the other folks who recently purchased these radios. Thanks.

Kirk - KD5HNV
Satelite

Post by Satelite »

Hello:
I also purchased the very same radio in which your asking about from the same bd member.
As mentioned you do need to remove two jumpers .
Both on the logic bd.
One i believe you actualy found already and it is very obvious.
Its a white wire soldered to the logic bd and then to the front control bd pin.
The other jumper i believe you missed is not so obvious to the untrained eye.
Its soldered directly to the same front control bd pins that you removed the one wire from already.
This jumper is soldered pin to pin on the left hand side and counting pins from the left to right it would be pin numbers 5 and 6 with #3 pin being an empty slot.
If you remember the pin you unsoldered the other jumper off of from the logic bd it will be the 3rd and 4th pin left of that same pin you took the other jumper from.
Open the radio by removing only the front and unplug both multi pin conectors and look closely - You will see it.
No other changes are needed to restore the radio back to normal service other than programming it to your freqs ect.
Also i have recieved all 12 radios and i have tested a few of them and they are testing up to specifications so i wouldnt suspect youd have any issues to deal with.
I know im quite pleased with them.
Satelite.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”