Multi-channel DC or tone remote systems...got a suggestion?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Elroy Jetson

Multi-channel DC or tone remote systems...got a suggestion?

Post by Elroy Jetson »

I have a customer whose needs are evolving. They're going to be going to at least six traffic channels soon and there's a need for at least one
site to be able to monitor them all at once.

Though there are several ways to proceed, the first one I want to investigate is DC or tone remote system options.

Does anyone here know of any manufacturers of tone or DC remote systems that have products that handle maybe 8 channels?

Elroy
Batboard $upporter

Re: Multi-channel DC or tone remote systems...got a suggestion?

Post by 515 »

There's several tone remotes that can handle 8 channels. It would probably be more difficult to find DC remotes that can do the same.

The biggest limitation with any remote setup is that each remote is just controlling the one radio, which can only monitor one channel at a time, or possibly scan... Of course to really monitor all 8 channels at once without scanning and the possibility of missing some traffic, you'd need 8 different radios!

If you determine that scanning is acceptable for this application, some of the higher end tone remotes are designed to work with a specific radio, where the channel names, scan status, encryption on/off, and other things can be displayed on the tone remote. This is really the way to go if you're going to be using more than a couple of channels. They typically do this by sending brief data bursts (similar to MDC1200) down the wireline between the remotes and adapter.

While not really tone remotes, the Motorola W9 Astro Consolette with the L3208 junction box and L3223 MC3000 desksets are pretty slick. They do require CAT-5 cable (all 8 wires of it) between the radio/junction box and the remotes, but you can go up to 5000 feet. You basically have the full functionality of the W9 control head at each deskset. They are pretty expensive, though. Remember, that even with those fancy remotes, you're still just controlling one radio--so if you change the channel on one deskset, it changes the channel on them all...

I think Zetron, CPI, and IDA make some high end tone remotes and adapters that interface with specific Motorola, Kenwood, EFJ, and other manufacturer's radios. If you don't use these high end remotes that can esentially display what the radio is displaying, scanning can be kind of tricky, as you don't know what channel scan stops on, and you probably won't have the ability to turn scan on or off through the remotes.

Tone remotes like the Motorola MC2000 support at least 8 channels, and even have a programmable display, but they don't get display updates from the radio, so scanning would be tricky with one...
Bigred
What radios do you own?: Junk that comes and goes...

Post by Bigred »

If there is a need to monitor two channels or more, scan from a single base radio is kinda kludge unless the radio is set up properly and the remote users have at least a clue how manipulate it.

A better solution is a single radio for each channel and a multi "LINE" remote. All radios could be monitored via select and summed unselect lines. In a desktop remote, I can only think of Zetron and CPI which have 4 line capabilities. This would require 2 remotes for each location in your situation.

To get more than 4, a small console might be in order. I've know of Zetron, Vega and (GAK!) Gaitronics. What does M offer these days in a small wedge? (haven't worked at a MSS for several years now).
Lots and lots of watts...
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

The single radio per channel and multiline remote option is the one that's planned. I've checked into some options
and it looks like our answer is with Zetron. We're a Zetron dealer anyway, so this makes for a neat and simple answer.

Elroy
techtonics

Post by techtonics »

Try Motorola's MIP5000 ip console, or motorola has a 4 radio remote i believe it is an MC25000, we just installed on of these remotes in a dispatch center and they love it, it replaced a lightning his Command Star. It even has an external speaker for your un-select audio.
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

Customer requirements are for new equipment, and it has to be something we can get. That Motorola console may not be
available to us as we can only deal the Radius line of products at this time.

Elroy
misawatech

Post by misawatech »

I've used both the MC2500 and the Zetron 284. Took out the 2500 because the user did not need the 4 lines but they were happy with it when it was installed. I've also connected the Zetron 284s to quantars some distance away. Some adjusting was required on the repeater wireline and the Zetron but once set they worked perfectly.

Since then I've pulled them back to the facility and are using them to control 3 XTL 5000s from 3 positions. This is only to facilitate some future changes to our operation. I also built a device so they can use line 4 to broadcast over the 3 primary nets for emergencies. Installed a toggle switch, relay and LED which switches all 3 base stations to mode/channel 8 used for the "All Call" feature. I like the Zetrons for their programmability but your are limited in the display. The only way to know what is received is via an LED by the line selector so the line select keys must be marked with the associated net/channel.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”