XTL mobile USB cable unable to find driver

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

n3obl

XTL mobile USB cable unable to find driver

Post by n3obl »

Have CPS 13 with latest firmware in radios.. Plug USB cable into all ports on this computer and it says cant find driver.

Any suggestions.

Frank
wavetar
Administrator

Re: XTL mobile USB cable unable to find driver

Post by wavetar »

The driver is installed as part of the CPS install. You can try re-installing, or potentially repairing the CPS & it should work. Does it list the specific file it's looking for?
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
n3obl

Post by n3obl »

ive tried uninstalling and reinstall the software.

The file has to be located somewhere.

Frank
xmo

Post by xmo »

If you are installing from a Motorola provided CPS distribution CD or from a file you downloaded from MOL and have verified that you meet all the computer and O.S. requirements listed for that version - and still can't get it to install correctly, then I recommend that you call the CPS 800 support number - they are very helpful.
n3obl

Post by n3obl »

I downloaded off MOL.. I think i will give them a call tomorow.

Frank
rc50won
What radios do you own?: Don't ask my wife.

Post by rc50won »

Are you connected to the Internet when you attach the radio to the plugged in cable? If not try it when you are connected. Marshall
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

n3obl wrote:ive tried uninstalling and reinstall the software.

The file has to be located somewhere.

Frank
Does it list the file it's looking for, or does it just give a general "cannot find driver' message?
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

And what does your computer do when you connect the powered-on radio to the computer? Does it give a USB device not recognized? Have you gone into the device manager and have you seen any unknown devices with the XTL connected or do you see the XTL5000 as an attached device
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

is this cable a motorola cable or aftermarket? and is it for the xtl?
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
n3obl

Post by n3obl »

Factory USB cable.

In device manager it shows motorola xtl5000

with ?

Also says installing hardware then tries to locate driver.. I click through the prompt and it says cant find driver.

Frank
khw
What radios do you own?: Quantars, Quantros, APX, XTS..

Post by khw »

Try looking in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Motorola\FudallyFiles

In that folder you should find an application called DPInst.exe which should be the driver installer package. You should run that installer BEFORE you connect a radio/programming cable to the computer. If the cable was already connected, unplug it and restart the machine -> run the package installer -> then plug in the cable and connect the radio.

See if that works,

Good luck
Kevin
werdnuts
Batboard $upporter

Post by werdnuts »

I had a similar issue. It asks for a driver called "usbser.sys" -- it has something to do with the data/modem capabilities conflicting with the programming capabilities of the cable. On my laptop, it wanted access to the XP Pro Service Pack 3 Disk for the file. I deleted my install files to make room, so I couldn't fix the issue that way.

The immediate solution is to turn off the radio and re-power. Let it install the device from the serv pack files on your pc (of which I didn't have). This procedure was verified completing the tasks on a friend's laptop.

My immediate workaround was just to use a serial cable. I'll try to resolve the USB issue next time I'm working on a XTL5000, an internet connection, and the time to mess with it.
-werdnuts

VoIP# BAT-CRAP (2727)
n3obl

Post by n3obl »

Thats why i keep serial cables around.

The USB are fussy.. I have to make sure to use the same usb port every time.

Frank
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

I ran into a problem with a Motorola USB cable here recently. Tried everything. I
know it works, as I have used the same setup before. Had to reboot the computer
before it would work. I had been programming other radios before i went to the
XTL. The more I thought about it, every time it has worked the first time is when
I have just started up the computer. Every time I have had issues, is when I had
been using the computer for other programming.

Maybe the secret here is to start with a fresh boot up of the computer. Hey
Motorola software people, you reading this thread?? Wouldn't surprise me that
there is some small file that isn't getting loaded or it got lost in the shuffle.

Jim

n3obl wrote:Thats why i keep serial cables around.

The USB are fussy.. I have to make sure to use the same usb port every time.

Frank
afd3350
New User

Post by afd3350 »

I have had this problem too and found that if you don't open the cps application until after the installation is complete then it will happen successfully. If the applicaton is open, i get a failure message almost everytime.
Einstein

Post by Einstein »

As with Motorola and other USB cables sometimes if you go into the Device Manager of the computer, un-install that particular device driver then re-connect the cable and device to load the driver again it sometime clears the problem.

Return to “Radio Programming”