Quik Call II Notification System

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

HarrisonRHW
What radios do you own?: Waris Stuff

Quik Call II Notification System

Post by HarrisonRHW »

Does anyone know of a system that does nothing more than open upon valid tone combination? I have seen at least one station that uses it, and dispatch tones around here have a trailing alert tone, so we were wondering what systems had this as an option
kb4mdz
What radios do you own?: Too many for the time I have.

Re: Quik Call II Notification System

Post by kb4mdz »

Can you explain a bit more what you mean? As in a radio that opens the speaker on correct tone sequence? or triggers a relay for turning on dorm lights or opening doors, etc.??
HarrisonRHW

Post by HarrisonRHW »

Well obviously something decodes it, for all I know the system I saw (rather, heard) could have just been a Minitor with a relay that tripped. The dispatch will emit an FDNY style BEEEEEEDOOOOOOO after the appropriate station tones have dropped, and at the station where this was heard, radio traffic did not open until the Quik Call tones for that station dropped (about halfway through the second tone) so it was open in time for the alert tone after.

It could have been some sort of radio all in one unit or it really could have just been a relay set up with anything from a minitor to something like a CDM that will open a relay for the speakers on correct tone
crazyboy

Post by crazyboy »

what exactly are you trying to accomplish?
HarrisonRHW

Post by HarrisonRHW »

See the OP... but I will repeat myself anyway.

Upon valid detection of the appropriate tones, audio needs to open and nothing more... no beeping no crazy alerts, etc.. just have the audio in the house remain off until the tones drop.
ai4ui
was kf4pxz

Post by ai4ui »

What's wrong with the beep? With a Minitor V you can even pick a beep that's not quite as obnoxious, or set it to vibrate only. Anyhow...

Com-Spec made a two-tone decoder that used audio from the descriminator of a receiver. I just looked it up on their site and it is no longer available. See: http://www.com-spec.com/sd1k.htm

Again, it's no longer available from the manufacturer, but somebody, somewhere has got one or two I'm sure.

I used one to turn on some lights and ring a bell at one of our stations. It worked well, and I used a reed switch to reset it when the door going to the bay was opened. If you found one you could use it to control a relay to switch audio from the radio on and off to your public address amp.

Another option is a Minitor amplified charger with the output and just plug a speaker plug into the back and don't hook it to anything. The relay output could then be used to switch a relay controlling the audio of a different radio much like above.

You could also use an XTS5000 in a XTVA connected to your house speakers with the tones muted. I think you can mute the tones on several other model mobiles as well.

There are several options available.

RG
Wyrd bið ful ãræd, Fate is inexorable...
HarrisonRHW

Post by HarrisonRHW »

Well actually...

By accident I discovered how to do it. Had a minitor in an amplified charger in a mode that was programmed as "vibrate with push to listen." The pager made no noise then kicked on, it was perfect - all that was heard was the BEEEEEEDOOOOOO then the disspatch traffic. I think putting a pager in vibrate mode in an amplified charger may work perfectly. Not really sure why I didn't think of that before. The only thing that I don't like is that there is no way to hook up a remote reset without a set of relay's so the pager may just have a long auto reset time, which I am sure will be just fine.
MOTO_LR

Post by MOTO_LR »

The radio that will do exactly what you have asked for is the Federal INFORMER Receiver...

See: http://www.federalwarningsystems.com/pd ... csheet.pdf

We supply this receiver to several fire departments that use them for their station alerting. They prefer to not have the receiver's internal tone alert be heard, but instead hear the alerting tones initiated by the operator from the dispatch console.

The Federal INFORMER has many programmable options. With the INFORMER, the audio does not turn ON until the end of the complete Two-tone sequence. We set the internal alert tone to O seconds, and so when the receiver completes the decode, the audio simply comes ON. The dispatcher is responsible for the alert tones prior to the voice message.

The INFORMER has several Reset options which prove to be very useful.

If something like the Minitor V in an amplified charger will work for you, the vibrate alert should work but you would not want the "Push to Listen" option. Disconnect one of the contacts to the vibrate motor in the front housing. Then when the Minitor V is activated, the audio should just come ON and you don't have the vibrate. All that would be left to do is get the reset timing on the receiver optimized for your situation.

PM me if you have questions about the Federal receiver.

Bob, CLARKCOMM
k5hdm
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE
What radios do you own?: Lots

Post by k5hdm »

On QCII is the radio supposed to make a tone when you PTT? I have a XTS5000R M3 with QCII and I was just playing around with it, but mine does not emit a tone when you press the PTT.. I have enabled all the PTT sidetones and things like that which usually make the tone when you PTT..

Thanks
Harmon
-Harmon - K5HDM
http://www.k5hdm.com

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”