MS DOS 6.2 Zip program?

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

SUPMO72
New User

MS DOS 6.2 Zip program?

Post by SUPMO72 »

Im finaly going to be programing my own Saber II's . I have a 486 laptop that only has a floppy drive running DOS 6.2 only. Is it a zip program out that is small enough to fit on a floppy so I can load the RSS? I have no way of hooking this old laptop to any of my newer computers for downloads. Thanks
akardam

Re: MS DOS 6.2 Zip program?

Post by akardam »

Google for PKZIP/PKUNZIP - it's the quintessential DOS zip program.
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

Click THIS LINK, and it should start a download of the afore-mentioned PKZIP, takes up around 270 Kb.
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

SUPMO72 wrote:Im finaly going to be programing my own Saber II's . I have a 486 laptop that only has a floppy drive running DOS 6.2 only. Is it a zip program out that is small enough to fit on a floppy so I can load the RSS? I have no way of hooking this old laptop to any of my newer computers for downloads. Thanks
Are you saying this 486 only has a floppy drive - no hard drive - and you need a way to run both DOS and RSS from floppy?
SUPMO72
New User

Post by SUPMO72 »

It has a hard drive and its running DOS 6.2. But It only has a floppy drive no CD ROM drive. If it had a CD ROM I could just download it form one of my newer computers and load it that way. The troble im having is finding a zip program thats small enough to fit on a floppy disk. I will try the link above and see how it works out.. Thanks for all the help..
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

PK-Zip should fit just fine. It is the original .zip compression program dev back in the days of dos, and meant to be portable. It was freely available and widely distributed.
akardam

Post by akardam »

Bill_G wrote:It was freely available ...
PK-ZIP was never released for free by the manufacturer to the general public. That doesn't change the fact that it is widely available from download sites across the internet, and that the manufacturer has neither the inclination, resources, or possibly both to combat the unlicensed distribution, especially since the DOS version is so old.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

akardam wrote:
Bill_G wrote:It was freely available ...
PK-ZIP was never released for free by the manufacturer to the general public. That doesn't change the fact that it is widely available from download sites across the internet, and that the manufacturer has neither the inclination, resources, or possibly both to combat the unlicensed distribution, especially since the DOS version is so old.
Someplace around here I have a disc Phil sent me - one of the few people in this world who are legally licensed to use his product.
gdsteele

Post by gdsteele »

Have you thought about using a USB drive under DOS? I was reading your post and then went back to the forum. There is a good tutorial on how to use a USB drive for just what you are describing. I've used it a couple of times when I've been in a bind.

Just a thought....
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

gdsteel wrote:Have you thought about using a USB drive under DOS?

Just a thought, but how many 486 machines have you ever seen with a USB port? There wasn't even any such thing as USB when the OP's computer was built. :roll:
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
SUPMO72
New User

Post by SUPMO72 »

UP and running, thanks for all replys.......

Return to “Radio Programming”