FCC weighs in on narrowband conversions

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

N9LLO

FCC weighs in on narrowband conversions

Post by N9LLO »

Might not be the last word, but for now we have guidelines that effectively halt any plans to do any narrowband conversions on old radio equipment intended for part 90 use.

http://mccmag.com/onlyonline.cfm?OnlyOnlineID=147

Chris
N9LLO
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Re: FCC weighs in on narrowband conversions

Post by Tom in D.C. »

For you pro sound guys (like I was in a past incarnation), buried in the same edition of this publication is the new FCC 700 mHz prohibition on wireless microphones effective this June. Most of the equipment manufacturers are affected by this.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

To me, that's just further proof of what I already suspected: the whole narrowbanding joke is being fueled by radio manufacturers.
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Post by N4DES »

And I have heard of local shops going through the FCC database, based on their local areas, and making cold calls to those who have active licenses trying to drum up business.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

There have been some postings on the site here about Motorola supplied narrow band kits for several radios. When asked if the kits come with a
new sticker to be attached to the radio to say the radio is certified for narrow band use, we are told that there is no sticker.

This would imply that mother M is also trying to pull a fast one on the radio shops and customers in trying to make a fast buck. If the radios have
been certified by mother M to use the kits for narrow banding the radios, I would expect to see a sticker to prove that the mod is accepted by the
FCC. They should be kicking for joy that the have a way for customers to save money. However, that is not the normal path that mother M normally
takes and makes me hesitant to even consider this route without the sticker. Mother M's focus has always been to short life a radio so a new one
can be sold.

Jim
xmo

Post by xmo »

Motorola isn't trying to pull anything on anyone.

The radios that these kits are available for were originally designed in both wide and narrow versions. The kits were simply made available to convert from one existing version to the other. Since the radios were originally type accepted for narrow band there's no need for a sticker when you do the conversion.

There has been some speculation that Motorola will offer kits for conversion of other radios - ones that were never type accepted for narrow band. It's true that they did that way back in the 60's and 70's when operation went from +/-15 to +/-5 KHz deviation but that was a very different Motorola.

The chance that today's Motorola will come out with narrowband kits for radios like Maxtracs and Spectras is about the same as the chance that Al Gore will announce that global warming is a fraud.
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

is there a list some were of the radio and the kits that work seems like i have found bits and Pieces
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

The only sure fire way to determine if your radio was type accepted for narrow band is to run the type acceptance number through the FCC database. http://www.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid/
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

KitN1MCC wrote:is there a list some were of the radio and the kits that work seems like i have found bits and Pieces
The radios that were made in OR conversion were: SM50 SM120 GM300 M130 M120 M10
GP300 P110 SP50 GP68 (unsure about GP350)

HLN9578 is listed to work with VHF and UHF GP300 and P110's

HLN9575 is listed for VHF GM300 and M130 (good chance also M120 and M10)
HLN9576 is listed for UHF GM300 and M130 (" " " " ')

It appears that only radios in the OR category above would be convertible without the recertification step. BUT the 25 and 12.5 versions did carry their own model#'s I'd check to confirm that they both share the same FCC ID# before investing in a kit, recall about $79.
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

i know about narrow only models and number just need to start looking

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”