Minitor V Problem

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jasonott55
New User

Minitor V Problem

Post by jasonott55 »

I am now having trouble with 2 pagers all of a sudden. The pagers will work perfectly with no battery in side them if on a charging cradle, But when a charged good battery is installed and out of the cradle it is just a paper weight. any suggestions ? I have tried many different batteries. I dont know now.

Thank you

Jason
Jason Ott
KB9DEA
MOTO_LR

Re: Minitor V Problem

Post by MOTO_LR »

Have you tried more than one charger? Also will your batteries operate a known good pager?

The last Minitor V that came to me with your symptoms was actually a bad charger.
The charging LEDs (both pager and battery) would change to green but did not actually charge the battery.

I did have a Minitor V recently that was drawing excessive current. It would operate in the charger, but
wouldn't operate on a charged good battery for more than a few minutes. It had to go back to the service depot.

Make sure that your charger's wall transformer is the correct one (8 volts for the standard charger).

I find it unusual that you have 2 Minitor V's with the same problem at one time. Sure makes me think the
cause is external, like the charger.

Bob
jasonott55
New User

Post by jasonott55 »

Yes, I have tried many different chargers, and batteries. ( New and Used)

I have never seen this before, If I leave it in the cradle it will work perfectly. But once it is taken out, It is no good.

I guess these will have to get sent in.

Thank you

Jason
Jason Ott
KB9DEA
haddenharley
New User

Post by haddenharley »

Motomax: Chill, dude. I don't hot swap batteries on my cell phone or other electronically advanced equipment, but I guess I'm in the habit of doing it with pagers. I have hot-swapped batteries on the Minitor 1/2/3/4/ and now 5 thousands of times over the past 24 years. No problems up until recently, even with the much-maligned M3s and 4s which as we all know are synthesized and fairly more complicated than their predecessors.

You do bring up a good point and I will turn the thing off when changing batteries, just to see if it makes any difference.

Another data point - tonight I just discovered that a low battery placed in the charger showed fully charged after only 10 minutes or less in the charger. So is it a battery problem or a charger problem?
jims123
New User
What radios do you own?: HT1250,750.cdm750.1250 1550XT2

Post by jims123 »

I have see this problem over 100 times and have found that contact at minitor V were dirty or this are damage due to fire or corrosion built-up check this contact clean with alcohol , dont use a sharp metal to clean contact they will be damage ( used tooth pick or old tooth brush).

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”