Mcs2000 model 3 - Transmitting dead carrier

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

astro_boy
New User

Mcs2000 model 3 - Transmitting dead carrier

Post by astro_boy »

I have a mcs2000 here that I've just programed up for a few CB channels.
For some reason it transmits a carrier but no voice can be heard.

Radio details are;
M01RHM9PW5AN
codeplug 000A
Firmware 00.12

I checked channel spacing and a few other settings compared to another working mcs2000 codeplug but they are bot the same.

I understand that this firmware is a bit old, but i don't understand why this might cause the issue.
jims123
New User
What radios do you own?: HT1250,750.cdm750.1250 1550XT2

Re: Mcs2000 model 3 - Transmitting dead carrier

Post by jims123 »

Check your Mic the MC2000 requirer a specific mic to work properly in some model. Check your audio circuit this is located at top right side of radio main board, also check this location R0217 & R0218 this are audio input for ASFIC to U 0200-D7.
Al

Post by Al »

Did you really mean *CB* channels(as in Citizen's Band, US)? If so, I think you'll find that CB transceivers employ AM, and the MCS2000 is an FM only transceiver. That might explain why your transmit carrier appears to have no audio on the received carrier. And if you're located in the US or its possessions, use of more than 5 watts transmitter power is prohibited(which graybar hotel can we visit you at?).
Last edited by Al on Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

Since that's a UHF model number I would guess the O.P. is in either Australia or N.Z. where they have 477 MHz FM CB channels. That model is 403-470, so it's probably programmed a bit out of band... not sure if that would cause the problem or not. An M01SFxxxxx model would probably be more appropriate to that use, although I don't know how they work type acceptance down there.
Last edited by jackhackett on Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

The model code in the original post of this thread clearly shows that the radio being discussed radio is UHF.
It is common in some circles to refer to the GMRS band as "CB."
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

yeah, could be that too....

edit... just checked O.P.'s one other post from a few years back, was about a GP328, so likely AUS/NZ
astro_boy
New User

Post by astro_boy »

Sorry guys should have added more info.
Yes i was talking about 'citizen band' here in Aust which is 477mhz and the transmitter is set to low(5W).

I also have a frequencies programed around 415mhz for my company, the problem still persisted around here so i don't think its the problem of it being out of band.

I've tested the hand mic(DTMF type) on another mcs2000 and it works fine, also tested a standard mic on this radio and still didn't work.
I'll take off the cover and see if i can pinpoint where the suggested audio circuit is.

I also noticed in the codeplug, the buttons for the front panel were programed in as buttons on the DTMF mic. Can anyone tell me why it is programed this way ?
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

You might try programming an MDC ID into the radio and see if you can hear that, that might narrow down the problem area a bit, also if you have a working radio of the same model you could try cloning from that, then if your radio still doesn't work you'd know it wasn't a programming problem.
astro_boy
New User

Post by astro_boy »

I tried to Clone it form another radio,
But when trying to receive the serial number the radio would reboot?

Anyhow i gave up and have just sent it off to get looked at and a well needed firmware upgrade!

Thanks for everyone's responses.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”