Syntor X9000

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fchrist16
What radios do you own?: Desktrac, XTL/XTS's & XPR's

Syntor X9000

Post by fchrist16 »

Alright guys, I lucked out and am having to build my own programming cable. I have the diagram from the main site and my only question is this, which color is which?

I have partially cut open, on the DB25 side, the cable and see 13 colored wires and then a blue wrapped cable. that would make wire 14...help in decoding?!?

Regards,

-Frank C.
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Re: Syntor X9000

Post by kf4sqb »

"DB25 side?" DB25 side of what? What, exactly, are you trying to make a programming cable out of? Old siren "T" cable that you are adding a DB25 to? Old computer cable of some sort that you are adding a "T" to the end of?
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
fchrist16

Post by fchrist16 »

I took an old siren T cable and cut about a foot from the DB25 end of it off so that I would have room to work with re-wiring onto a new DB25 for programming.

Regards,

-Frank C.
Will

Post by Will »

You should OHM it out pin to pin to make sure, sometimes the colors changed.
fchrist16

Post by fchrist16 »

That's the thing is I'm not quite sure which color is which and what pin each color needs to go too...Check your email Will, I sent you an email recently.

Regards,

-Frank C.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

fchrist16 wrote:I took an old siren T cable and cut about a foot from the DB25 end of it off so that I would have room to work with re-wiring onto a new DB25 for programming.

Regards,

-Frank C.
A siren T-cable wouldn't have X9000s. A T-cable would have a male/female "block" connector to go between the main power/acc harness and the radio deck, and a male "block" connector for the siren. If the cable is the male "block" to a DB25, you have a siren cable for a Spectra, which won't work since you can't interface power and control head...
kf4sqb

Post by kf4sqb »

Tvsjr, correct me if I'm wrong here, but there is no "T" to a Spectra siren cable. Doesn't it have the old "Micor" style plug (to plug into the siren amp) on one end, and a DB25 (to plug into the second DB25 on the front of the Spectra) on the other? The only cable I can think of that would have a "T" of the correct type on one end and a DB25 on the other is a programming cable.

Frank, are you sure you haven't cut up an X9000 programming cable to make an X9000 programming cable? Was there a part number on the cable you cut?

tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Yep, you're correct - both siren cables have the male "block" that plugs into the siren amp - on a Spectra, the other end is a DB25... for an X9000, it's the magical male/female passthrough "block" that he seeks.

The only cable I know of that would have the elusive male/female passthrough "block" and a DB25 is, indeed, a programming cable.
fchrist16

Post by fchrist16 »

The cable I cut open was a HKN4363. I was told quite a few times that this cable was the correct cable to modify and then use on my Syntor X9000, not the PROM programmable one but the DOS Programmable one...Not quite that stupid, perhaps mis-informed at times but then anyone who asks on RB would then be mis-informed...

Regards,

-Frank C.
fchrist16

Post by fchrist16 »

Alright I've taken 3 images, 2 of the same cable and 1 of the cable in question. You guys tell me which is which because from RB and other "trusted" Mother M sites I've read what I stated in my last post...[img]http://76.126.196.46/moto1.jpg/[img][im ... 2.jpg/[img]

Regards,

-Frank C.
akardam

Post by akardam »

I can't speak to your pictures, since they aren't coming up, but a HKN4363 isn't going to make an OEM style x9000 programming "T" cable - it lacks the T. See more on Mike B's site:

http://onfreq.com/syntorx/spectra/cables.html#spa4363
fchrist16

Post by fchrist16 »

Sorry I forgot part of the link...Let's try the links again the right way. ImageImageImage
kf4sqb

Post by kf4sqb »

Which of the cables you posted pics of is the HKN4363? That model number is for a Spectra siren/PA or VRS cable. The last picture should be the one with that number, from what I can tell from them. It will only have the female connector (doesn't have the male on the back side of it) that plugs into the external option housing, and has power wires coming out of this connector alongside the data cable. This cannot be used as an X9000 programming cable, as it doesn't have the male plug on the back side of the connector.

The first two pics you posted look to be an X9000 programming cable, although it does seem to have a few too many pins in the DB25. To use it, you would unplug the radio's control cable from the radio drawer, plug the "T" end of the cable into the radio drawer, then plug the control cable into the back of the "T" connector. The DB25 goes to RIB. What is the number on the side of this cable? In your pics, there appears to be a decal on the side of the "T" end. IIRC, this decal should have the model number of the cable printed on it. Give us that number, and we'll see where we can go from there.

fchrist16

Post by fchrist16 »

The top photo's label is so worn away you can't read it at all...

Regards,

-Frank C.
fchrist16

Post by fchrist16 »

Another food for thought. All my RIB's have always been DB-25 Male while the end of all cables are DB-25 Male...

Regards,

-Frank C.
akardam

Post by akardam »

Looks like something that you'd use to connect two System 9000 external option housings to a Spectra, though, according to Mike B in this post, normally you would use a HKN4304 to connect the two housings together (or in this case, a Siren and a VRS), and then a HKN6038 (or a HKN4363) to continue the daisy chain to the radio's 2nd front DB25 connector.

Either way, the chances of the DB25->T cable you picture being pinned out correctly for a programming cable, even if you used a gender bender to mate it with the RIB, are slim to none. Maybe you could crack open the T-Connector, strip off the existing wiring, and add your own with the right pinout and a female DB25 at the other end?
fchrist16

Post by fchrist16 »

Thanks! That's what I guess I'll have to do once I get a spare T Cable like that...Now I'm just downed that I started to cut up a perfectly good cable for nothing...

Regards,

-Frank C.
kf4sqb

Post by kf4sqb »

Shouldn't be too hard to put a new DB25 on the cable you already cut up. The other cable you have should be usable as a programming cable. You'll just have to cut off the male DB25 on the end, ring out the wires to see which pin in the "T" goes to which wire, then put a female DB25 on it.

Return to “Radio Programming”