Maxtrac trunking control board HLN9313 for conv ?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Maxtrac trunking control board HLN9313 for conv ?

Post by RadioSouth »

Hi all,
I know it's been a long time since anyone messed with a Maxtrac but I just located that project I started about 10 years ago and forgot about. Anyone know if a HLN9313B control board that came out of a trunking radio needs only the 5.34 ver firmware chip change to work in a 32 ch. conventional radio ?
Jim202

Re: Maxtrac trunking control board HLN9313 for conv ?

Post by Jim202 »

I think your on the right track. If you go to the batlabs.com site and go to the Maxtrac section, there is a good amount
of information there that should give the details.

Jim

RadioSouth wrote:Hi all,
I know it's been a long time since anyone messed with a Maxtrac but I just located that project I started about 10 years ago and forgot about. Anyone know if a HLN9313B control board that came out of a trunking radio needs only the 5.34 ver firmware chip change to work in a 32 ch. conventional radio ?
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Yeah, I searched before posting but after reading I'm not sure if the HLN5569 chip is the only component that needs to be changed to make this 800 trunking HLN9313B control board function as a conventional. I was going to put this board into a UHF radio to get the additional channels and 16 pin connector. Anyone know if this the only item needed before I spend the $25. on the 5.34 eeprom ?
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Well one issue that you need to be aware of is that the Maxtrac radio will not do splinter channels s in the trunking mode.
As you only looking to do the conventional mode, that won't be an issue.

On all the radios I have played with, I just took the trunking radio and programmed up the modes (channels) to conventional
channels as I needed them. The radio will require that you have at least one trunking system in it. Other than that,
you should be good to go. Just use the mode utility to add conventional channels. Don't forget to keep your
personalities up for the conventional channels and scan lists. You will reach the mode limit at some point. Can't
remember where the mode limit is. Been too many years since I tried to stuff a bunch of channels into an
800 Maxtrac that had trunking.

Jim

RadioSouth wrote:Yeah, I searched before posting but after reading I'm not sure if the HLN5569 chip is the only component that needs to be changed to make this 800 trunking HLN9313B control board function as a conventional. I was going to put this board into a UHF radio to get the additional channels and 16 pin connector. Anyone know if this the only item needed before I spend the $25. on the 5.34 eeprom ?
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Post by kc7gr »

To do a true conventional conversion requires both changing the firmware EPROM, and using special RSS to blank the board and reinitialize it as the model and bandsplit you want.

Once this is done, the radio must be put through a full alignment (yes, this requires a service monitor or equivalent discrete instruments), because the stored alignment values are specific to individual radios.

If you lack the equipment or skill to do this conversion, I can do it for you at my normal rates. Drop me a PM if interested.

Happy tweaking.
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."
kb2crk
What radios do you own?: Astro Spectra Spectra Maratrac

Post by kb2crk »

the version 5.34 firmware chip and an alignment. that will do it. i swapped a 5 pin 6 channel board out for a 9313 board out of a maxtrac ls 800 mhz trunking. changed the eeprom and aligned it and now it is a full function 32 channel UHF 40 watt radio.
just call me dos impaired.... lol
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Thanks men !

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”