Spectra Gurus Advice?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fchrist16
What radios do you own?: Desktrac, XTL/XTS's & XPR's

Spectra Gurus Advice?

Post by fchrist16 »

Guys,

I was re-reading for the billionth time Bruce Lane's wonderful website on his vehicle setup and came to think of something. He has a 4 port DB25 system so he can have his cake and eat it too. Now to take that and present my idea...

A 110w VHF Spectra with a custom made DB25 "Y" or even "3 port" cable coming off the 2nd DB25 for a remote head/siren/programming cable option. Granted each DB25 end would have to be labelled for what it's use is...Could this be done without any of those three messing with the others signals? This setup would require dicing and splicing but I think it would be doable with minimal negative results.

Spectra Gurus, your thoughts?

Regards,

-Frank C.

EDIT: This radio is using a full A9 head with an 1185 PA box too.
fchrist16

Re: Spectra Gurus Advice?

Post by fchrist16 »

*bump* Any thoughts?

Regards,

-Frank C.
ke7joi

Post by ke7joi »

I just built 1 to do just that 1 25 ribbon cable and 1 db 25 male 2 db 25 female. I will upload a Picture later.
Joel
KE7JOI
1 900 Spectra
1 VHF Spectra
3 900 GTX Portables
1 900 GTX Mobile
fchrist16

Post by fchrist16 »

Thanks! How about using Cat5 cable with DB25, anyone work with that before?

Regards,

-Frank C.
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Post by kc7gr »

Thank you. Admittedly, some of the photos and data are out of date. For example, the IC706 was removed over a year ago, to be replaced by a low-band GE Orion.

As far as the D-sub box is concerned: Just about any type of D-sub parallel arrangement will work. Motorola made a great design decision in terms of not requiring wires to be 'broken out,' per se, but to have everything data driven instead.

Happy tweaking.
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."
fchrist16

Post by fchrist16 »

Thanks again Bruce! I'll give my idea a shot and let yall know it turns out.

EDIT: Quick idea/question. Would I have to match each connector pin for pin or could I make this cable a "straight-through" cable. Here is what the "plan" is...

The Programming lead, PA Box and 2nd Control Head would all be connected to a "Y" cable off the second DB25 port. Now does each DB25 port need to be wired as if it was the original cable or could I wire orange/white=pin1 green/white=pin2, etc? Lost yet? I think I'm getting there...

Regards,

-Frank C.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”