Pushing band limits on an XTS2500 FPP?

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fogster
What radios do you own?: XTS2500/5000, XPR7550/5550

Pushing band limits on an XTS2500 FPP?

Post by fogster »

I've been toying with picking up a Panter XTS2500. I'd only be transmitting on 70cm, but would want local public safety receive up to about 485 MHz. It seems that an S-split (450-512 MHz) rig can very easily be coaxed down to 440 MHz with hex-edited CPS, but is it possible via FPP?

Also, is CPS still necessary for setup? I.e., can alpha tags and scan lists be entered via the keypad, or does most configuration need to be done through CPS, and FPP is only useful for keying a couple channels in on the fly?
PeterGV

Re: Pushing band limits on an XTS2500 FPP?

Post by PeterGV »

You're still going to need CPS. Consider that you'll almost certainly want to change your radio-wide parameters (how the buttons are programmed, etc).

You can't program ALL the channel parameters via FPP... For example, you probably want those public safety frequencies to be set to "receive only" and you can't do that from the FPP.

Peter
K1PGV
bezking
What radios do you own?: /\/\

Post by bezking »

PeterGV wrote: You can't program ALL the channel parameters via FPP... For example, you probably want those public safety frequencies to be set to "receive only" and you can't do that from the FPP.

True, but you *could* always just set the TX freq to 462.55 or something...
The bandsplit is only a suggestion.

n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

Getting an S split to FPP "out of band" will be the hard part. I have never seen a unit that does it but I have only heard of them that do (this was on a 900MHz unit).

FPP aside, I don't know on the 2500's, but on the 5000's from what I have seen is you have better luck getting a Q split up out of band than getting an S split down to 440.00. As I said that is with the 5000's, so I can't say on the 2500's. You just need to try with your radio and see. I know that is kind of hard to test when you don't have it yet. If you need the radio to FPP from 440 to 450, you might just want to put a want add out for a Q split that has been tested for RX up as high as you want to go.

Jim
n1oty
What radios do you own?: xts3000/2500/mcs2000/mts2000

Post by n1oty »

My "S" split, Panter XTS2500 performs flawlessly down into the repeater portion of the ham band, both in analog and P25 digital. I simply hacked the software to accept frequency entries down to 440. Other amateurs have told me that it is one of the best sounding radios, either analog or digital, that they have heard. I do not have FPP, so Jim's advice about getting one that goes 403 to 470 is probably dead-on if FPP is a necessity.

John
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

I've had the same results as above. Worked just find to 444tx, but didn't play with it much down that low. I've had other ASTRO radios in the Q range go up quite high and have one at least RX 403-512 (never really tested TX that high, never had a need to).

I am sure someone has done it, I just can recall if anyone posted that they have taken a S split FPP radio down in the 440 region via the software mod with FPP enabled.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
PeterGV

Post by PeterGV »

Just as another data point: I've had no trouble getting either of my S-Split 5Ks down to the 440 ham repeater range, in both analog and P25. I didn't even realize I was lucky... just thought it was matter of doing the software mod.

Peter
K1PGV
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

But if you go into the fpp menu in the radio, will it take a freq under 450?
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
willbird287
What radios do you own?: Always looking for the best...

Post by willbird287 »

On my 2500's you can program out of band all day with the CPS mod with CPS. But FPP programming retains all it's original band limits. So if you want to program in the ham band with FPP then get a Q split. (unless there's another hack to change FPP band limits like in the HT1550....anyone?)

--Will
w2sjw

Post by w2sjw »

I've gotten Q-split portables up to 490, and my current S-split 5000 will go down to 440 just fine.

As was mentioned just before, the FPP abilities are hard-coded in the firmware. I believe I have successfully made a PL change on an amateur channel, but don't go anywhere near the TX & RX fields!
Scott, W2SJW

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”