How much dust can a Maxtrac take?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mchip

How much dust can a Maxtrac take?

Post by mchip »

How much dust can a Maxtrac take? I want to mount a Maxtrac in an open (ROPS) station backhoe. There is a roof an posts, but no windows or door.

Will it work as is, should I cover openings on the radio with some kind of filter, or am I just asking for trouble/ie: it just won't work.

I can keep the radio dry.
izzifureal

Post by izzifureal »

i have chipped 2 inches of mud off a maxtrac and had it still working. dust is a gimmee. i have also seen them fail from mere humid weather conditions. a back hoe is a problem install to begin with. a filter would be a good idea, but then you ned to circulate the air around it so condensation doesn't build up and you don't wind up "raining" on the maxtrac. (condensation from heat and humidity,then having the radio cool off from inactivity) if it's a single channel "set and forget", enclose it with some sort of vent...preferably from the bottom. if not, then let me know, as i have encountered this problem more times than not....email me at ex_moto@msn.com and reference the problem. i will be more than willing to help you out. give me as much info as you can about the radio and what you need to be able to do with it (volume adjusting, channel selecting, etc)
elkbow

Post by elkbow »

As you probably know, dust can cause a short and turn your maxtrac into a brick. As far as filtering, it needs to be something that can flow air well to still provide cooling on your radio. If you plan on keeping your radio on the whole time you are on the backhoe, then a thin filter will be required, if only working for short periods of time, you can go with something alittle more restrictive.

You have a couple of choices for filtering, one of which is to mount your radio in a protective cover or box. You can make a box out of plexiglass and put holes in the plexiglass to allow air flow and then filter the holes, this will protect your from rain also. As stated before, humidity is a factor, but only if left for prolonged periods of time. If your equipment is sitting outside all the time, then you need to consider pulling the radio at the end of each day.
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

it should work out. i have 2 maxtracs mounted in 2 differnt STEAM LoCOMOTIVES.

they work fine.

But the maxar that was there kinda of died
ARZ902

Post by ARZ902 »

[quote]
I have a 45 watt, 32 channel MAXTRAC mounted in my backhoe.
The dust gets really deep, so every once and a while, I take a damp rag to the exterior.
I haven't had to do any thing special and it has been working for more than five years.
The only thing I have to watch, is the duty cycle on the transmitter, as it can get quit hot if you transmitt to long.

Dennis
Jonathan KC8RYW

Post by Jonathan KC8RYW »

KitN1MCC wrote:it should work out. i have 2 maxtracs mounted in 2 differnt STEAM LoCOMOTIVES.

they work fine.

But the maxar that was there kinda of died
WOW! Where are these locomotives? What type are they?

I'd love to see a photo of a MaxTrac in a steam engine cab. I'd put that up on my wall, for sure. :D
73 DE KC8RYW
Random Motorola Part Number:
SYN1894B - V3m Sprint-branded Battery Cover
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

i will get a pick.

Not a maxtrac But a Radius (same Differnce)

They are located at the Valley Rail Road In Essex Ct.

They are in Locomotive 97+40 and Diesel 0900 an our Case 580 Back Ho

we are on 160.695

Check out essexsteamtrain.com
Adamwest

Weather Proof Box

Post by Adamwest »

Hi

Why not put the radio in a weather proof box. Drill holes for the mic, outside speaker, power cord and antenna, I would try to make all the holes in the bottom of the box for weather reasons. If you had a new CDM series radio you could get the dtmf mic and change channels with the mic. Also the outside speaker is really nice I always take the one out inside the radio and let them just use the large outside speaker.

Good luck

Adam

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”