MOSCAD decoding

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

MOSCAD decoding

Post by nmfire10 »

Hey y'all, long time no see. I'm looking for some information on decoding MOSCAD. I can hook whatever i need up to a scanner or radio and I have an old computer if needed. I just want to see the stuff coming though so I can pick out my station alerts and use that to control audio in my home. I've googled this left and right, and just found a lot of commercial stuff. Couldn't find anything here either.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Re: MOSCAD decoding

Post by nmfire10 »

Anyone? Anyone? Beuler?
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

Al

Post by Al »

I think that I've got information on the various packet types and formats, but I've never seen any readily available software that will decode packets. With MOSCAD, the packet contents are pretty much unique to each system. How good are you at writing C/C++ code?
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

Never touched it before in my life, so probably really bad...
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

Tishers
What radios do you own?: Sabers Spectra Mobat XTS5000's

Post by Tishers »

I have been working as a SCADA comms engineer for +20 years and a good part of that time has been interfacing to MOSCAD SCADA RTU's. Normally we get the data converted back into serial (EIA-232) at 9600 baud and run it into an HMI (Human-Machine-Interface) software package where we map the I/O into graphical screens.

One of the expenses of most HMI's is in the software driver for communications (sometimes $20K for the software driver). One package you can try that has the drivers for MOSCAD would be Citect (www.citect.com). You can install the software and do a 15 minute runtime w/o a license so you can work out the SCADA messaging (RTU addressing, Digital I/O, Analog I/O, etc...

Unless you want to fork out real money you will be stuck with a limited runtime package (uses a USB key for a full blown software package) but this will give you a chance to look at the message structures of the RTU.

If you want more details, PM me.
Ms. Tisha Hayes
Principal Consultant, Wireless and Telecom (EE)
Energy and Utilities Practice
also AA4HA

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”