Differences in TKN8531A, B, and C KVL Cable?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

seleong

Differences in TKN8531A, B, and C KVL Cable?

Post by seleong »

KVL Gurus:

Does anyone know what the differences are between the letter revisions in the TKN8531 (Expo) KVL cable?

I have an "A" version and am very interested in finding if the "B" or "C" version have any internal component changes (i.e., added resistors between pins).

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Steve
MotoFAN
What radios do you own?: Approx. 50: Moto & Kenwood

Re: Differences in TKN8531A, B, and C KVL Cable?

Post by MotoFAN »

TKN8531C not a "Expo" cable. This is GCAI KVL to Hirose cable.
I am biggest fan of XTS2500 and ASTRO Digital Saber.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

MotoFAN wrote:TKN8531C not a "Expo" cable. This is GCAI KVL to Hirose cable.
No, TKN8531 (regardless of revision) is a KVL to Hirose cable, and was around long before Moto even thought about putting a GCAI connector on a radio. It's commonly referred to (only somewhat erroneously) as an Expo cable since the Expo was the first radio that needed that cable. It can also keyload X9000s, Spectras and Astro Spectras via an adapter, XTLs via adapter, Sabers via D audio adapter, and more. It has nothing to do whatsoever with a GCAI connector.

HKN6182 is a Hirose to GCAI adapter, to allow use of a TKN8531 with an XTL.

For the OP - personally, I've never been really concerned with what version I have. I plug the cable in, it loads the radio, done. Why do you ask? Do you have some reason to believe there's a difference between various revisions - and if so, why?
txshooter

Post by txshooter »

I personally have both B & C revision cables. I suspect there is really no difference in the cabel other than Motorola used a different supplier to manufacture the cable. Both of them have worked fine with whatever I have thrown at them.
Scott B.
"Never argue with seven men when you are carrying a six shooter..."
MotoFAN

Post by MotoFAN »

tvsjr wrote:No, TKN8531 (regardless of revision) is a KVL to Hirose cable, and was around long before Moto even thought about putting a GCAI connector on a radio. It's commonly referred to (only somewhat erroneously) as an Expo cable since the Expo was the first radio that needed that cable. It can also keyload X9000s, Spectras and Astro Spectras via an adapter, XTLs via adapter, Sabers via D audio adapter, and more. It has nothing to do whatsoever with a GCAI connector.
Ok, thank you for corrections!
MotoFAN

Post by MotoFAN »

tvsjr wrote:No, TKN8531 (regardless of revision) is a KVL to Hirose cable, and was around long before Moto even thought about putting a GCAI connector on a radio. It's commonly referred to (only somewhat erroneously) as an Expo cable since the Expo was the first radio that needed that cable.
Accordingly to T30xx manual, Expo cable have P/N TKN8351A. Look attentively to digits: 8351, not 8531!

Confirmation picture:

k5hdm
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE
What radios do you own?: Lots

Post by k5hdm »

I have an A and a B version and the A will not work with the xts5000 6-pin hirose adapter for some reason.. it also doesn't work on my astro sabers.. any ideas why??
-Harmon - K5HDM
http://www.k5hdm.com
MotoFAN

Post by MotoFAN »

Guys,

Here is result of my investigation of factory made TKN8531C (KVL to HiRose) cable: PDF file, 140 kB.

If anydoby will decide to build one personally, please confirm that it work or no :lol:

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”