ASTRO25 R15 Firmware on MOL

Release notes for new versions of programming software and firmware, for any product, should be posted here, as well as topics discussing issues and bugs with and FSB's/SRN's for particular releases.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

CTAMontrose
was grem467

ASTRO25 R15 Firmware on MOL

Post by CTAMontrose »

FYI:

P25 Enhanced Radio Unit Monitor Supported New Feature
Mobile radio fails to power up on ignition Issue Update
Call Alert to Mobile with DVRS attached may not work every time Issue Update
No audio heard when PSU keyed during hangtime through DVRS Issue Update
XTL5000 with O3 head unable to power up after being reconnected to TIB Issue Update
PSU takes 4.5 seconds to go to TA after 4 retries to DVRS that is OOR Issue Update
When using phone interconnect with DVRS, PSU does not unmute Issue Update
XTS/XTL goes out of range after coming back from Failsoft Issue Update
Cannot properly perform BER test on XTL5000 Issue Update
Receiving radio doesn’t display Emergency PTT-ID long enough Issue Update
Receiving radio doesn’t display Emergency PTT-ID when initiator exits Issue Update
Remote device FLASHing failures resolved Issue Update
Subscriber unit lock-up Issue Update
Buzzing noise in remote mount XTL transmit audio Issue Update
Out of Range tone still plays when tones are muted Issue Update
Tutorials Updated Important Note
Tutorial Installation Important Note
POP25 compatibility Important Note
All new radio features supported New CPS feature
POP25 (OTAP) success rate improved CPS Issue Update
IButton formatting fixed CPS Issue Update
Window style issue CPS Known problem
Communication from multiple sources CPS Known problem
Problem with French version of Windows CPS Known problem
Problem with closing dialog box CPS Known problem
Memory issue CPS Known problem
Please install first CPS Known problem
Incompatibility with Logitech Mouseware, version 9.76 CPS Known problem
Communication errors during CPS read/write CPS Known problem
PDA application doesn't support HPD CPS Known problem
Advanced System Key fails to load CPS Known problem
Initialize' message on ASK CPS Known problem
POP25 operations which cannot be cancelled CPS Known problem
Invalid Codeplug Caution CPS Known problem
Communications error during cloning of HPD1000 CPS Known problem
Communications error during FLASHport CPS Known problem
Failsoft Connect Tone not ASK protected CPS Known problem
Voice Files and POP25 CPS Known problem
Preset Zone and Channel Enable and DTMF mic CPS Known problem
Help files may not open CPS Known problem
Long codeplug archive names CPS Known problem
Network Radio Programmer on Win 7 64-bit machines CPS Known problem
rc50won
What radios do you own?: Don't ask my wife.

Re: ASTRO25 R15 Firmware on MOL

Post by rc50won »

WARNING Will Robinson.....

Just updated an XTL5k from 14.03, remote with O3.
After successful update to V15, O3 head displaying FL 05-93. Radio okay. Another O3 non-updated head works on V15 radio.

Thanks /\/\.

M
CTAMontrose
was grem467

Post by CTAMontrose »

geez... what did they do? take a page out of Apple's "how to update/screw up your ipad" playbook??
akardam

Post by akardam »

rc50won wrote:WARNING Will Robinson.....

After successful update to V15, O3 head displaying FL 05-93. Radio okay. Another O3 non-updated head works on V15 radio.

Thanks /\/\.

M
Have you tried synchronizing the control head?
rc50won

Post by rc50won »

akardam wrote:
rc50won wrote:WARNING Will Robinson.....

Thanks /\/\.

M
Have you tried synchronizing the control head?

Yes but it fails at block 8 of 20 when it goes to write to the head with "error occurred during syncronization. Do you want to retry? Retry just brings same error. It seems like the head is foobarred.
akardam

Post by akardam »

Time to open up a case with SSC.
rc50won

Post by rc50won »

CPS15 installs the rev 14.03 Astro_25-CH_AM.cvn file dated 9-10-10. That might be the problem.

M
akardam

Post by akardam »

Both Astro_25_CH_AL and Astro_25_CH_AM have the same size. In theory the first supported CH R08.10.01, which was compatible with host R14.00.03. Don't know if it's a coincidence or not on the size.

Either way, if AM didn't support host R15.00.00, you would get an error to that effect, not just a generic failure message. It is probably not talking to the control head at this point. And, since it's an O3, it may require factory or depot intervention to restore it to service. Assuming that this was a legit refresh, a call to the SSC would be your next best (and quickest) bet. Either it really is a bug, in which case the sooner they know about it the better, or something else is going on in your situation.
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Post by Mfire39 »

Gotta love it, each revision just keeps taking a step farther and farther backwards with bugs.. As far as I'm concerned, the big M can keep every release after R09.xx.xx.

-Marc
Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Interesting, the XTS4000 has its own firmware file now....

Jason
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

FWIW I just upgraded my VHF O3 Midpower via serial. It took over 30 minutes. The control upgraded just fine but the codeplug lost the programming for the control head buttons?? This was using CPS 15 and Firmware 15.

Jason
RADIO43
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: 900 MHZ APX4000

Post by RADIO43 »

Just did FW 15 upgrade on the XTL5k with O5 and the head is stuck in the FL 05-93... Damn

Radio upgraded with no problem (since I can read and write from the middle radio port), just appears to be a control communicating with radio issue. Hope Motorola comes out with a solution quick since it has disabled the radio....

Has anyone come up with a solution to this before Motorola?

Thanks all

radio43
In Time of Crisis, You will Not Rise to the Occasion but Rather Default to your Level of Training!
akardam

Post by akardam »

RADIO43 wrote:... and the head is stuck in the FL 05-93...
Have you tried syncing the control head?
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Did you do this with CPS 15 ? Did you use a refresh key?

Also curious, serial or usb and remote or dash mount?

Jason
RADIO43 wrote:Just did FW 15 upgrade on the XTL5k with O5 and the head is stuck in the FL 05-93... Damn

Radio upgraded with no problem (since I can read and write from the middle radio port), just appears to be a control communicating with radio issue. Hope Motorola comes out with a solution quick since it has disabled the radio....

Thanks all

radio43
RADIO43
Batboard $upporter

Post by RADIO43 »

akardam wrote:
RADIO43 wrote:... and the head is stuck in the FL 05-93...
Have you tried syncing the control head?
Yup... When attached to the head it gives me "Failed to Communicate with radio. Please ensure cables are connected and the radio is powered on and then try again."

Tried numerous times with no luck.

KB9KST wrote:Did you do this with CPS 15 ? Did you use a refresh key?

Also curious, serial or usb and remote or dash mount?

Jason
RADIO43 wrote:Just did FW 15 upgrade on the XTL5k with O5 and the head is stuck in the FL 05-93... Damn

Thanks all

radio43
This was Software R15 and FW 15 with Serial Cable and Remote Mount Radio. I did use a refresh key which was used a dozen times before and on this radio as well.

UGH!!!!
In Time of Crisis, You will Not Rise to the Occasion but Rather Default to your Level of Training!
akardam

Post by akardam »

Will the control head power up by itself (e.g. connected to power but not to the radio)?

What is the control head part number?
RADIO43
Batboard $upporter

Post by RADIO43 »

akardam wrote:Will the control head power up by itself (e.g. connected to power but not to the radio)?

What is the control head part number?
The remote head will power up and down even with the radio cable not attached to it.

It also powers the radio up and down when the radio cable is attached to the head as well. I was able to confirm this by using the middle connector on radio.

Control head part # is:

S/T: HLN1467C KIT NO: HLN6911C
akardam

Post by akardam »

So you're saying when you power up the control head, even by itself, that this error appears?

If I'm understanding correctly, if you power the head up by itself, and connect the serial GCAI cable to the mic port, and try and sync, it gives you a hard error and does not allow you to proceed?
RADIO43
Batboard $upporter

Post by RADIO43 »

That is correct. Very unusual.......
The Pager Geek
What radios do you own?: Disney FRS

Post by The Pager Geek »

Have you tried a "recovery" on it?

tpg
Experienced Provider of Useless Information
RADIO43
Batboard $upporter

Post by RADIO43 »

Not sure how to do recovery but I put a different head off a dash mount radio and it now works....

My next move is to put the head displaying the FL 05-93 on another radio (dash mount) as apposed to the radio (remote mount) it was on.
akardam

Post by akardam »

Try this:

Connect power only to the head, like you've tried before, but make sure that the yellow ignition line is not powered (or has the fuse pulled). Connect the serial GCAI programming cable to the mic port. While holding the emergency and far right menu soft-key, power on the control head. This should put the head into bootstrap mode, with a green screen and some text. It should say something like "User Forced, Firmware Entry".

Now, hook the programming cable up to the computer, and try a sync process.

IF it fails at that, repeat the above, except watch the control head very carefully. You might observe that before it fails, it appears to reboot at least once, while the computer says "opening the port". After the first time it appears to reboot, it should still show the green bootstrap screen and a similar message to above. At this point, manually power down the control head, and then power it back up with the emergency and far right menu soft-key. It should return to the same bootstrap screen, except this time it may go through with the control head sync - if you get a message on the computer about upgrading master device software, that's a good sign.

Anyway, it should load some firmware (which you can watch it count off bytes on the screen), and then reboot a couple more times - if it gets to the orange maintenance mode screen, that's a very good sign. The computer should at this point eventually come up with a message saying unable to talk to radio, hit OK to enter firmware version. When it asks, enter in your brick's host version (ex: R15.00.00). It should then load in the appropriate control head firmware to match the radio host firmware. If it says it can't find a matching version, try telling it that the brick has R14.00.03, that will put it one version back, which should still work.

Anyway, give all that a spin, and let us know how it goes.
RADIO43
Batboard $upporter

Post by RADIO43 »

akardam and tpg,

Thank you for all the help.

Amazingly, I took another head off a dash mount radio and installed it on the problem child remote head radio and everything booted up perfect. I then took the problem head from the problem child remote head radio and installed it on the dash mount radio and that worked as well without showing the FL 05-93 error code.

Tomorrow I am going to reinstall the FL 05-93 head on remote mount radio and try your procedure to see if I can get it out of its fail.

Once I perform this I will let you know

Thank you again all your help on this today
Last edited by RADIO43 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
akardam

Post by akardam »

RADIO43 wrote:Amazingly...
The 05/9x series errors have to do with control head errors, at least one of which has to do with a mismatched CHIB/CH error (old CHIB new head or vice versa), so I'm not surprised.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

akardam wrote:
RADIO43 wrote:Amazingly...
The 05/9x series errors have to do with control head errors, at least one of which has to do with a mismatched CHIB/CH error (old CHIB new head or vice versa), so I'm not surprised.
CHIB errors on a dash mount radio? :o
akardam

Post by akardam »

RADIO43 wrote:Tomorrow I am going to reinstall the FL 05-93 head on remote mount radio and try your procedure to see if I can get it out of its fail.
Before you do that...

To keep things straight let's call these radios A and B, and control heads A and B. So the problem occured on radio A, with control head A in remote mount. You have at your disposal for testing radio B with control head B in dash mount.

First, before you swap anything else around, put both radio A (with head B) and radio B (with head A) into service mode and record the host and control head versions of each. We need to determine if control head A got upgraded or not.

Control head major release versions generally correspond with a host major release version, but as of host version R08, the host code was modified so that the radio would (usually) work with an older control head version. That probably explains why the heads are working as things stand at the moment.

Also, try and find the exact part number for the remote CHIB that control head A was originally mated to. If control head A is HLN1467_ as you say, the CHIB should be HLN1468_ or possibly HLN6912_. Get the part number off of control head B, too.
RADIO43
Batboard $upporter

Post by RADIO43 »

Okay...

Begining stages before swapping out:

Radio A (Remote Mount) and Control Head A is the remote mount radio generating the FL 09-53 on Control Head after firmware upgrade

Radio B and Control Head B is Dash Mount Radio that was working perfectly

I place Control Head B on Radio A (Remote Mount) and Radio and Control head worked perfectly together.

Here is info in Service Mode:

Host R15.00.00
DSP R15.00.00
Ch Version R06.00.06

Control Head B part # is HLN1467G and Kit # HLN6911G. The same part #'s are on a sticker on the inside of the head.

I then placed Control head B (This is head that was displaying the FL 09-53 on Radio A) on Radio B and these worked perfect together.

Here is info from Service Mode:

Host R12.00.11
Dsp R12.00.01
Ch Version R11.00.00

Control head A part # is HLN1467C and Kit # HLN6911C. Again the same part #'s are on a sticker on the inside.

Thank you again and let me know if you need anything else.
akardam

Post by akardam »

What part numbers are on the outside or inside of the CHIB/backshell? That's probably the cruical part of the equasion here...
RADIO43
Batboard $upporter

Post by RADIO43 »

Sorry about that... Part # HLN1468A / Kit No: HLN6912A
akardam

Post by akardam »

Ok... so, you have a first rev of the 2nd (newer) CHIB. It's possible that its just not happy with the newer R11 control head firmware. I'd open a case with support and see if they're aware of anything. The CHIB might need an AVR update, or to be replaced. When I get back to the shop I'll see if we have anything similar that I can try reproducing the problem with.
RADIO43
Batboard $upporter

Post by RADIO43 »

Ok...

I tried the procedure you set forth and could not get it out of that mode. I tried it about 5 times and after turning the radio off when Head resets, I turned it back on. At t his point I would get the green screen for about 3 seconds followed by the FL 05-93 code after that.

I am going to put Control Head A back on Radio B (Dash Mount) and try a Firmware upgrade. Maybe this will get it out of its issues. I will see where this gets me and let you know.

Thank you again
MotoFAN
What radios do you own?: Approx. 50: Moto & Kenwood

Post by MotoFAN »

Guys,
R15.00.00 for all XTS/XTL products. These files are in support of customers with SSAs only. Customers must still purchase or have available a refresh key with available refreshes.
But what does mean SSA?
I am biggest fan of XTS2500 and ASTRO Digital Saber.
xmo

Post by xmo »

SSA = Software Subscription Agreement

Usually sold as part of a maintenance contract for large systems.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Yeah, basically they're saying the CVNs are useless without an upgrade flashkey, which if you don't have one on hand can be procured for the low low rate of only $75 plus shipping :lol:
MotoFAN
What radios do you own?: Approx. 50: Moto & Kenwood

Post by MotoFAN »

xmo wrote:SSA = Software Subscription Agreement

Usually sold as part of a maintenance contract for large systems.
Thanks!
I am biggest fan of XTS2500 and ASTRO Digital Saber.
RADIO43
Batboard $upporter

Post by RADIO43 »

Update....

Radio B (Dash Mount) with Control Head A will not take a firmware upgrade due to no communication with radio. Tried it numerous times with no luck.
akardam

Post by akardam »

RADIO43 wrote:Update....

Radio B (Dash Mount) with Control Head A will not take a firmware upgrade due to no communication with radio. Tried it numerous times with no luck.
Is head A currently dash mounted to radio B? If so, have you tried going into the rear accy port to flash the radio, instead of the control head?
radioinstl
What radios do you own?: Liberty MBITR APX7000 75000

Post by radioinstl »

New control head sync software file out today, that may fix it
rc50won

Post by rc50won »

Update.

Was able to sync (yes I am a glutton for punishment) another O3 older rev firmware head to the same radio with no issue using the new sync file. My guess is that there was an issue with the older sync file seeing as I am not the only one who got the FL 05-93 error. Is there a way to force an O3 head into Maintenance Mode so I can force a firmware load?

Marshall
akardam

Post by akardam »

akardam wrote:The 05/9x series errors have to do with control head errors, at least one of which has to do with a mismatched CHIB/CH error (old CHIB new head or vice versa), so I'm not surprised.
We recently had a remote mount head that exhibited this failure. Swapping in a new CHIB worked. So, the problem would appear to lay in the CHIB. The suspect CHIB with a known good remote mount head produced the same fail code.
rc50won

Post by rc50won »

See thread
http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=94844
for the answer.

Marshall

Return to “Software & Firmware Releases & Issues”