Minitor IV amplified charger delay in contact closure?

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

red
New User
What radios do you own?: APX7500, APX7kXE, APX6k, XTS5k

Minitor IV amplified charger delay in contact closure?

Post by red »

I have some Minitor IV amplified chargers that I want to use for station alerting. After hooking everything up (using the contact closure to drive a relay hooked up to our station relays for lighting and PA audio), I found that their is a couple of seconds delay in the contact closure. I can't seem to pin point an exact time to this delay.
In other words, the pager in the charger decodes the tones and starts to beep but doesn't trip the internal relay immediately.

I need the relays to trip at the same time as the pagers.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas?

Thanks,
Red
Red
NC Firefighter
kinnelonfire75
New User
What radios do you own?: Min4, Min5, CDM1250, HT1250

Re: Minitor IV amplified charger delay in contact closure?

Post by kinnelonfire75 »

I believe seeing somewhere that the setting for this is in the actual pager programming.
red
New User

Post by red »

The pager is programmed to trip automatically. I don't know why the amplifier relay is not activating at the same moment that the pager decodes the tone?
Red
NC Firefighter
MassFD
Batboard $upporter

Post by MassFD »

Just did 2 of these and the contacts close on the first beep of the pager same as the Minitor 2's they replaced.

To isolate if the delay is the charger amp or the pager, with the pager out of the charger put the pagerin program mode. While in program mode put the pager in the charger, the charger alert LED should come on and the relay should close as soon as the pager contacts touch the charger contacts. If it activates instantly it's not the charger amp causing the delay.

As some addtional info on the relay operation.

If you want to change the time the relay stays closed replace R-10 on the top LED/relay board with a higher rated resistor, I found 2.2 MegOhm gets me about 15 seconds, 10MegOhm gets me about 65 seconds.

We use the internal charger amp relay to activate an external 4 pole relay, 2 poles switch the audio output into the P.A. Amplifier the other 2 poles switch 12 V to strobe lights in the station. All stays on for 65 seconds then resets till the next page
Cause Motorola said so that's why
red
New User

Post by red »

So I did the check with the pager in program mode and the alert light on the charger immediately comes on.
Now for the strange thing - I get continuity from pins 2 & 3 (dry contact) all the time. Even if the pager is not in the charger, whether the alert led is on or off.

I thought that pins 2 & 3 would show no continuity unless the alert circuit was tripped (i.e. the yellow led was on)?

Another way to ask the same question - is the dry contact normally open until closed by a valid tone pair?

My hope is to configure these Minitor IV amp chargers and then next year simply replace them with narrowbanded Minitor V chargers that use the same DIN connector and pin outs.
Red
NC Firefighter
MassFD
Batboard $upporter

Post by MassFD »

Yes the pins should be open after the time delay expires, are you sure you have the correct pins. The layout is in a strange order.

Looking at the back of the charger amp pin 2 is on top then move 2 pins clockwise, that will be pin 3 (last pin on the right)

You should not have any other jumpers in place to use it as a momentary output. How much current are you trying to switch, the relay has a very low rating and overloading it could have welded the contacts together. I always use the charger amp relay to drive an external relay with 4 -10 amp contacts.

0-2

0- 4 0-5

0-1 K 0-3
I do not know if the formating will stay but this is the pin layout looking at the back of the charger amp

Well it looks fine in preview but when posted it all moves left but I think you can still get the idea
Cause Motorola said so that's why

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”