Question on programming UHF MCS2000

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Question on programming UHF MCS2000

Post by N4KVE »

I picked up a 100 watt UHF 403-470 remote mount MCS2000 with the model 2 head about a year ago. I didn't really need it, but it was in nice shape, & from a reliable source. Well, I've been trying to program it since then. I've also let a few friends try to program it, but no luck. These friends have had no problem programming their own 900 MHZ model 1 front mount MCS2000's. Finally, I ran into the seller & he said he'd take care of it. So he calls me today & says it's all done. My friends & I have all been using the programming cable that plugs into the mike jack, but the guy who was able to program it plugged into the accessory jack on the bottom of the radio. Is that how trunk radios are supposed to be programmed? Am I missing something here? GARY N4KVE
fineshot1

Re: Question on programming UHF MCS2000

Post by fineshot1 »

Hi Gary - I have always used the mic jack on dash & remote mounts - never had to use the accessory conn
but we have never had the 100W radios but I don't think that would make a diff.
fineshot1
NJ USA
akardam

Post by akardam »

Might be something gone south in the control head. I've seen that happen from time to time. You could try swapping heads and remote cables.
d119

Post by d119 »

I think this is what happens when one tries to program the radio with a MaxTrac cable. Something burns up in the control head of the MCS 2000 and the only way to program it is via the belly cable.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

d119 wrote:I think this is what happens when one tries to program the radio with a MaxTrac cable. Something burns up in the control head of the MCS 2000 and the only way to program it is via the belly cable.
If this was true, that would be the only problem with the jack? The mike would still work OK? I don't have spare heads or cables to test. I get the radio back tomorrow. Does anybody even sell a programming cable that plugs into the acc conn? GARY N4KVE
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Happy ending. The person who sold me the radio, & programmed it with the cable using the accessory jack is making me a cable to do the same thing. End of problem. GARY N4KVE
Motoboy
What radios do you own?: HT1250 I saved from the dump

Post by Motoboy »

I have built this cable, and it works like a champ!

http://www.batlabs.com/images/mcs2000.gif
"I don't have a driver's license, either, and that never got me in trouble!" ~Customer
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

One point that you should be aware of with the MCS series radios is that they are very sensitive to programming voltage levels. Many of the clone RIB devices have an issue with either working erratically or not at all due to low voltage levels. Your best bet is to use a true Motorola RIB device if you are having problems.

The radio will normally read, but will complain when you try to write data to the radio.

Jim
WB4JGI
was whitstu

MCS2000 Accessory connector part number

Post by WB4JGI »

If anyone needs it the part number is: RKN4063
Stu
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

d119 wrote:I think this is what happens when one tries to program the radio with a MaxTrac cable. Something burns up in the control head of the MCS 2000 and the only way to program it is via the belly cable.
Plugging in a Maxtrac cable won't hurt it. Plugging in a Commercial Series cable with the pins jumpered, however, leads to release of the magic smoke. BTDT.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Well the guy who sold me the radio made me a cable that programs through the accessory connector on the bottom of the radio. It works great using a Sandy Ganz/Radio Stew rib box. Finally, I can set up the radio like I want. GARY N4KVE
smokeybehr
What radios do you own?: Dozens. Want one? Email me.

Post by smokeybehr »

Jim202 wrote:One point that you should be aware of with the MCS series radios is that they are very sensitive to programming voltage levels. Many of the clone RIB devices have an issue with either working erratically or not at all due to low voltage levels. Your best bet is to use a true Motorola RIB device if you are having problems.

The radio will normally read, but will complain when you try to write data to the radio.

Jim
I make sure that I use a 12V power supply (wall wart or cable) that's >500mA for programming on the bench, or when I'm not away from 110v or 1v car power. Otherwise, I use a fresh 9V battery. I've had no problems whatsoever with programming anything. Sure, it requires extra cables, but don't we all have a pile of them in our programming bag already? :D
No, I will not fix your computer. Call back during NORMAL business hours.

Return to “Radio Programming”