NMN6217 Astro Saber Speaker Mic - Antenna Strain Relief?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

maxkelley_kc2spy
What radios do you own?: XTS2.5K-Q, ASpectra, MT2K

NMN6217 Astro Saber Speaker Mic - Antenna Strain Relief?

Post by maxkelley_kc2spy »

Hi all... I just got an NMN6217 speaker mic for the Astro Saber (non-PSM) and it has a plastic piece that's supposed to go over the antenna port, and then the antenna is supposed to screw into the radio, clamping this plastic piece in between. However, my antenna will not go into the hole! I'm using a Jedi style UHF whip, and the shroud around the female SMA on the antenna prevents it from screwing into the antenna port, when this plastic piece is in the way.

How do you do this?!?!
Max Kelley KC2SPY
http://www.maxkelley.com
MT2000 VHF & UHF A7, Visar UHF, ASII UHF, Maratrac UHF, Astro Spectra UHF, MCS2KIII 900, XTS2.5K-Q
akardam

Re: NMN6217 Astro Saber Speaker Mic - Antenna Strain Relief?

Post by akardam »

You don't, unless you have the nut that's supposed to go in between the radio antenna port and the antenna.
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

Basically the mike you got is missing a piece. There's supposed to be a metal threaded device attached to the plastic. This holds the plastic piece to the radio, & then the antenna screws into it. I don't know if that nut can be ordered separately. If not, you need to return the mike because it's not complete. GARY N4KVE
maxkelley_kc2spy

Ohhhhh, got it. So it's like... an extender, SMA-Female to Male? Well, I got it used from a surplus place on the 'bay so... I guess that's to be expected somewhat!
Max Kelley KC2SPY
MT2000 VHF & UHF A7, Visar UHF, ASII UHF, Maratrac UHF, Astro Spectra UHF, MCS2KIII 900, XTS2.5K-Q
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

As long as you're not really rough on your radio (hanging it off of things by the mic cord, for example) you can just cut that strain relief off and use the Phillips-head screw by itself for attachment.
maxkelley_kc2spy

I'm considering that, or boring/drilling that hole bigger so the whole base of the antenna will fit without needing an extender nut, or something to that effect.
Max Kelley KC2SPY

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”