Substitute for NLA Visar slim battery ?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Substitute for NLA Visar slim battery ?

Post by RadioSouth »

Just tried to order some NTN7396BR batteries for the Visar (slim 600 MAh NiMh) and MOL is showing them NLA. Took a look at Multiplier and they don't have them either. Anyone know of any slim substitutes ?
The fat battery ruins the whole form factor of this tiny radio in my opinion.
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Re: Substitute for NLA Visar slim battery ?

Post by N4DES »

I found a better solution to be the XTS4000. Might be a bit more $, but the extended features outweigh the extra cost. :-)
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

That's interesting to know that some folks here still use the Visar :)

I have a Visar in the fleet that gets used a few times a week (light duty, all in a vehicle) and I find it to be a great little radio. Great audio, lightweight, etc. I have the "fat" battery on it now, and it's about due for a new one. If anyone happens to know where I can grab a slim battery also, I would much appreciate it !
JRUTA
What radios do you own?: APX6k Visar

Post by JRUTA »

Well an xts4k ain't exactly a cheap solution hahaha. But I believe Interstate batteries makes a 600mah. Was looking for one myself.
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

People are still using Visar's?? And I can't even GIVE one away.....
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

No luck on Interstate (just the fat one's available), anyone know of any other possibilities ?
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

bump
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Might could get a DOA battery to a company such as Battery Biz that will rebuild it for you
JRUTA

Post by JRUTA »

escomm wrote:Might could get a DOA battery to a company such as Battery Biz that will rebuild it for you
Interesting option, i never knew such a thing existed. I wonder if they could rebuild one in lithium Ion to squeeze out more than 600mAh? Then i guess the problem would be finding a suitable charger. Hmmm.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

JRUTA wrote:
escomm wrote:Might could get a DOA battery to a company such as Battery Biz that will rebuild it for you
Interesting option, i never knew such a thing existed. I wonder if they could rebuild one in lithium Ion to squeeze out more than 600mAh? Then i guess the problem would be finding a suitable charger. Hmmm.
VISAR battery? Hmmm, PMLN5122A KVL adapter for the Impres charger should theoretically make that feasible
JRUTA

Post by JRUTA »

escomm wrote:
JRUTA wrote:
VISAR battery? Hmmm, PMLN5122A KVL adapter for the Impres charger should theoretically make that feasible
Yup, didnt think of that. :o
Tim

Post by Tim »

Might have some issues with the available voltage
from a Li-Ion battery vs a NiMH.

Think that's why there aren't any Li-Ion batteries for the
Jedi series.

Tim
JRUTA

Post by JRUTA »

Possibly. but arent Jedis the same as xts/pro series platforms in terms of voltage? I never paid attention to it.
txshooter

Post by txshooter »

com501 wrote:People are still using Visar's?? And I can't even GIVE one away.....
If you are giving them away i will send you my address..lol

These were always great little units for lots of uses. I still keep a couple around!
Scott B.
"Never argue with seven men when you are carrying a six shooter..."
JRUTA

Post by JRUTA »

txshooter wrote:
com501 wrote:People are still using Visar's?? And I can't even GIVE one away.....
If you are giving them away i will send you my address..lol

These were always great little units for lots of uses. I still keep a couple around!
DITTO. Me too! I love my Visar, DN revision, hasn't quit on me yet. Just wish I had the slim battery.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

That slim battery is the whole reason to carry that little guy. No easier to carry than a HT1000 with the fat battery, but in this configuration does make a good cupholder radio, my hasn't flown out yet.
Tried out the EX500 as a slim battery is available for that but it's not quite as small as the Visar. Oh well.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

I hear there's a new radio coming out here pretty soon that's supposed to be about the size of a cell phone. With a color touch screen. 2 watt max TX though, think it's geared at business users
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

That might be a contender, will have to check that out. Thanks
flyinace09
What radios do you own?: XTS/XTL5000, AS+, etc.

Post by flyinace09 »

escomm wrote:I hear there's a new radio coming out here pretty soon that's supposed to be about the size of a cell phone. With a color touch screen. 2 watt max TX though, think it's geared at business users
I'm assuming this is going to be something like the XTS4000?
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

RadioSouth wrote:That slim battery is the whole reason to carry that little guy. No easier to carry than a HT1000 with the fat battery, but in this configuration does make a good cupholder radio, my hasn't flown out yet.
Tried out the EX500 as a slim battery is available for that but it's not quite as small as the Visar. Oh well.
Same deal with the XTS4000. The 4k with the fat battery is about as thick as an XTS3000, just half the height.
Mikey
What radios do you own?: CDM1550 LS+, HT1250, MCS2000

Post by Mikey »

Talk with Interstate Battery, They repack alot of our battery pacs for us, just send in your dead battery and they will repack it with new Cells,
JustinMoon205
What radios do you own?: APX7000, APX7500, GP280

Post by JustinMoon205 »

To open this up again, did anyone ever find a source for the slim NTN7396 slim NiMh Visar batteries? I have several, and would like to use this battery. Maybe someone has some old stock ones? Or does anyone know if anyone makes an aftermarket battery for the Visar that is slim?

Thanks!

-Justin
Archbishop, Church of /\/\otorola.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I've been looking for some slim bats without any luck so I am converting one to lithium polymer. The pack will have 1700mah of capacity and weigh less then the stock 600mah nimh battery. I will have to use a dedicated lithium charger with it and it likely won't be pretty enough for commercial use(inside plastic will be mostly cutout) but to have use of a Visar again it will do for my needs. As a bonus it will run the radio for a long time.
JustinMoon205
What radios do you own?: APX7000, APX7500, GP280

Post by JustinMoon205 »

Steve: How are you going to accomplish this?
Archbishop, Church of /\/\otorola.
Steve

Post by Steve »

JustinMoon205 wrote:Steve: How are you going to accomplish this?
I will post pictures. I have a modified slim pack already with LiPo cells in it but I forgot the radio turned on once and overdischarged the cells causing them to puff. The new cells I have coming include over discharge protection. As long as the protection circuits can handle the current needed during transmit I will leave them in place.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”