New kind of M UHF Stubby antenna ??

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

New kind of M UHF Stubby antenna ??

Post by MT2000 man »

Good day all,

I was looking online and saw this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorola-XTS5000-UH ... 4cf6c2fa9f

Anyone know what antenna this is ? I would assume this stubby UHF antenna is only meant for the new(er) APX line, but will it also work well on the XTS series ?

Anyone have any experience with this little guy in the field ?
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Re: New kind of M UHF Stubby antenna ??

Post by FireCpt809 »

Its a Mototrbo UHF/GPS antenna . Its has a SMA connector.
kotaguchi
What radios do you own?: XTS5000

Post by kotaguchi »

Those Mototrbo antennas are also fairly cheap at around $10.00 list for those stubby antennas while the Jedi/XTS and Astro Saber stubby antennas are about $15.00+for the stubby antennas.

I got one of the stubby Motortrbo antenna on my AXP7000 on the far left of the pic.
In Memory of those that serve.

Seal Team Six

Radios I currently own:

2-qty APX7000 UHF R2/700-800MHz M3
rc50won
What radios do you own?: Don't ask my wife.

Post by rc50won »

Hey K did you just give up on VHF on the APX? There is a slighty longer UHF/GPS antenna that is stock on the XPR6550 UHF MotoTRBO handheld.

I also discovered a dual band whip that works much better on UHF than any of the stock Moto antennas. Comet SMA503. A few of the locals have converted to it with good results. You will need an SMA barrel adapter for it to work.

M
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Another really short dualbander is the Maldol AH209 which, if it's still being made, comes in standard BNC and SMA/male, here again needing the double-female barrel adapter to work the current Motorola units. I haven't tried it at any great distance from my local repeaters but it does key them up and give full-strength RSS readings. The thing is that the antenna is very short which is a definite virtue when you're trying to lug an APX radio, even with the short battery. One other short supposed TRIPLE band HT antenna is the Miracle Baby which is definitely inferior in its receive function/gain/usability.

And just to confirm a report shown above, the antenna on the radio in the photo is definitely a TRBO UHF unit.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
Will

Post by Will »

I like my full 1/4 wave antennas, not moto, on UHF, and I am sticking to it!

10-4 Com501
Last edited by Will on Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

Anything shorter than 1/4 wavelength is a compromise. Why would you take an already poor performing radio (a handheld, low power, and no ground plane) and make it worse yet by installing a helical wound dummy load?

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”