nonstandard pl/dpl

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mr uhf

Post by mr uhf »

Can nonstandard pl or dpl be used with any of the computer programmed big M products? What is inverted dpl?
Will

Post by Will »

Some non standard PL tones can be used with SOME radios. The DPL inverted codes are just a translation of the standard DPL octal codes. Some non motorola radios are upside down on the DPL codes, hense "inverted DPL".
Some x-brand radios use CTCSS (PL) tones that are inbetween the standard tone frequencies. The original tone frequencies were chosen so as not to be harmonicially related so as not to "false" another tone. Some falseing can be expected when useing non standard inbetween tones.

Motorola "invented" devolpoed PL and DPL.

"PL" and "DPL" are regestered Motorola trade marks.
CTCSS is "continious tone coded squelch system".
Elroy Jetson

Re: nonstandard pl/dpl

Post by Elroy Jetson »

I know, this is an ANCIENT topic, but there's some information here I want to share which may be of use to you.

Motorola has a standard list of valid DPL tones. It's far from every possible code.

Some other manufacturers allow you to use ANY three digit number as a DPL code.

If this is the problem, and you're trying to put a Motorola radio into a system that uses non-standard DPL codes,
be aware that the reason Motorola doesn't allow every possible code is because the ones that are missing from their list
are functionally the same code as one or more of the codes in the standard list.

For example, 526 is a non-standard code. But, one of the standard codes will interoperate with it. EVERY non-standard code
has a standard code that will interoperate with it.

The difference is just a matter of signal timing. Two codes can be the same pulse train, just starting and stopping at different
points in that pulse train.

All you have to do is find out which one it is.

I thought I'd throw this in because I'm working that exact issue right now. Some doofus elected to use non-standard DPL codes in some Vertex
radios and I've got to find the right codes to make their new Motorola BPR40s work with those other radios, WITHOUT having to reprogram all
those Vertex radios.

Elroy
4n6inv

Post by 4n6inv »

Cool information, Elroy. I wasn't even following this topic, but found your info useful and interesting! Thanks.
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

Mike Blenderman K7IC has a very nice web page about the How's and Why's of DPL here:

http://www.onfreq.com/syntorx/dcs.html

Bob M.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

That's a great link. Thanks.
Jamesonp

Post by Jamesonp »

Thanks for the link! Great source of education.

Jameson
BigJim

Post by BigJim »

I also have a problem with non standard DPL.. I looked at Mike's site and I don't think it's possible for the code I need.. Somebody please help!!

I need to program a code that will match a +212 dpl that a kenwood system is using.

Being I run Astro Spectras this has created a huge problem.

I think it's a ploy from other companies to force people to buy non-Motorola radios.

At any rate I need help. I am currently using a TK-790 just so we can communicate.

Any and all ideas greatly appreciated!!

Thanks to all, BJ
Mike B

Post by Mike B »

Simple, assuming the RSS lets you enter the codes, just try Tx DPL +212 or -212 until you find one that works. If you cannot enter the plus (not inverted) or minus (inverted) try 212 or 356 until you find one that works. Do the same with the Rx DPL if you want to use it. Sorry, I do not remember the DPL programming particulars of this RSS.
BigJim

Post by BigJim »

That's the problem, the CPS won't allow non standard DPL inputs, nor will the RSS that is used for the non Astro series.
BigJim

Post by BigJim »

Just programmed in all standard DPL codes tried it, then inverted all stanbdard DPL codes, tried it again and it WILL NOT unmute the 212 DPL no way no how.

It's not looking good for this project..

Anybody have any more ideas short of trading my Astros for CDM series which will take the non standard DPL?
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

DELETE
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

+212 is the same as +253 AND -356 AND -521 Try those. -356 is available in Pro radio for CDM-1250
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

RADIOMAN2002 wrote:+212 is the same as +253 AND -356 AND -521 Try those. -356 is available in Pro radio for CDM-1250
None of those are available on an Astro Spectra.
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”