HT1250LS+ Firmware

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

pairughdocks
New User

HT1250LS+ Firmware

Post by pairughdocks »

Hello all,

I recently was given a portable radio by someone who no longer had use for it. They bought it, and it was never used, needless to say I was ECSTATIC! A free HT1250? Who isn't psyched on that deal! Here's the problem.

Code: Select all

VER NO: R02.00.01
SERIAL NO: 749TZW1624
MODEL: AA25SDH9DU5AN
I go over to a computer that we have CPS 06.11.10 loaded on, and try to program with my ribless Prolific Serial-USB Cable. The cable reads any other HT1250/HT1250LS Radio no problem, but this one will not read AT ALL!

What are my options here? I've tried 06.04.00 CPS and it doesn't work as well, I'm fairly new to radio programming, but I want to learn more about the repairs and upgrades that can be done as an end-user.

Can someone a bit more experienced shed some light for me.

Thanks.
Jay
Batboard $upporter

Re: HT1250LS+ Firmware

Post by Jay »

That firmware is ancient...You'll want to address that at some point.

Have you tried a regular programming cable and RIB?

What is the exact error message you are seeing?

Have you tried swapping a known good housing from a radio that will read?

Jay
pairughdocks
New User

Post by pairughdocks »

I have no idea how to update the firmware, I was told that an end-user was unable to perform an upgrade and it would have to be serviced at a motorola shop. I do not have access to a RIB/Cable combo, I just have a USB-Serial cable (though I have never had it fail). The message that CPS gives me is basically that the communication to the radio has failed, and there is no activity at that particular COM port.

Now, like I said, I am a bit new to the more "in-depth" troubleshooting, so I'm unfamiliar with what you mean when you say "Swap the Housing" - I'm decent at taking things apart and putting them back together, so I assume you mean take this radio apart and put it in a case from a good radio (correct me if I'm wrong please).

Thanks for your reply Jay! Looking forward for anymore info you may have to share!
Andreas
What radios do you own?: radios

Post by Andreas »

The firmwareupgrade is not a real problem.Put a switch in the RIB (bootcontrol/ground).
Read and save the tuning data,before you do anything!
A USB cable is not a good choice,to program/upgrade Waris radios.
Get a RIB with the proper cables.

Andreas
Jay
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jay »

pairughdocks wrote: Now, like I said, I am a bit new to the more "in-depth" troubleshooting, so I'm unfamiliar with what you mean when you say "Swap the Housing" - I'm decent at taking things apart and putting them back together, so I assume you mean take this radio apart and put it in a case from a good radio (correct me if I'm wrong please).
Yep, that is exactly what I meant. Before you go through that trouble, you might want to obtain/borrow alternate programming equipment to just verify that your hardware is OK.

Jay
pairughdocks
New User

Post by pairughdocks »

I appreciate everyone's response immensely! I took the radio to my local service shop (ECCO) and they were able to figure out the problem real quick. I feel kind of ridiculous for not trying this myself. The plug on the side (where the cable/mic would go) would not detect a speaker mic and TX - telling us, that it's defective. He showed me how to open the radio and we found a ribbon cable that sustained some damage (somehow?) it would end up costing me $300+ to have it sent out and I figured I'd just cut the loss and call it a day. Definitely got some good knowledge out of this experience though, I guess I need to focus on tuning/firmware/upgrades so I can save myself some hassle. Thanks again all who contributed!

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”